1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/24/23 3:43 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver said:

And then some.  Because of the fiasco at Indy, people constantly overlook that the crowds at the brickyard were the largest in F1.  By a pretty wide margin.  

Yes, although that's at least partly because Indy is one of very few venues with over 300,000 seats available.  I think Le Mans attendance gets close, but nothing else does.

The races at Indy were also known for offering regular fans a chance to walk down pit lane on Thursday when the teams were setting up, a level of access that's unheard of anywhere else.

LeMans attendance is typically over 500,000   ( not lately though) but the event has a carnival atmosphere to it. With all the rollercoasters,  Ferris wheels etc. plus it's a much bigger place.  
  Indy 500 may make more money since you pay admission for almost a whole month if you go for every day. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/24/23 3:46 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
NorseDave said:

It's not just F1 either.  Those guys that raced IMSA in the late 70s & early 80s were nuts. I wouldn't want to get on their bad side, and I'm def not suggesting the Williams team start smuggling weed, but I guarantee the IMSA guys would be miles more interesting to talk to than anyone on the grid today.  

They are still looking for John Paul, Sr. who is probably still living the pirate's life on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean.

On this topic, if you haven't read Randy Lanier's book "Survival of the Fastest", do so. Crazy E36 M3 happened in those days in IMSA.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/24/23 3:49 p.m.
Toyman! said:

It's 400 miles from the nearest ocean and 1900 miles from where 75% of the shrimp in the US are caught, of course the shrimp are gross. 

Hate to burst your bubble but seafood in Las Vegas is flown in fresh on a daily basis.

We actually have some really good seafood here.............we literally get tons of it every day.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
3/24/23 5:07 p.m.

Yeah, any major city is going to have pretty fresh seafood because there is enough demand to fly it in. A non-major city? No way. That is something I learned quickly when I started traveling for work. Sushi in Phoenix? Yes! Sushi in Anderson, Indiana? No!

The only F1 race I've been to was the British Grand Prix about five years ago. I bought GA tickets in advance, and they were really expensive. Once I got there on Saturday, I walked all around the track and realized that there was basically one spot where you could see the track clearly with general admission seating, and it was packed beyond capacity. So come Sunday morning, I ended buying reserved seats in the Woodcote grandstands so I could actually see the race. That one ticket was $180 on top of the price I had already paid for the GA tickets. I figured that I wasn't going to probably ever be at Silverstone again, so I splurged. That's just how F1 is, just like going to the Super Bowl or World Cup. 

It really made me appreciate what a bargain the tickets for the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona is!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/24/23 5:12 p.m.

I like the way we started talking about the cost of attending an F1 race and ended up with the quality of $0.99 shimp cocktails in Vegas.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
3/24/23 5:13 p.m.

I love CoTA, but I go there with Vintage racing groups - you can be in the garages, pits or wherever you like and see some really amazing old racecars - is it F1? Of course not, but I can wander all over the track, sit anywhere I want all weekend. Oh and it's free if you have an in with a driver/team.

I watch F1 at home on my BIG screen TV, the only downside there are announcers that can't stop talking for even an instant, but I do have a mute button when it gets to be too much.

I really appreciate Bernie Collins being on the announcing team, I just wish I could understand what she's saying - unfortunately the closed captions lag really badly on the F1 broadcasts. REALLY badly......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/24/23 5:43 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

I once came across an F1 broadcast that was just the video/sound feed from the track, no announcers. I think it was on a spanish station. Kinda fun.

Bernie's accent is awesome. Go watch Derry Girls, it'll help.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
3/24/23 6:08 p.m.
NorseDave said:

It's not just F1 either.  Those guys that raced IMSA in the late 70s & early 80s were nuts. I wouldn't want to get on their bad side, and I'm def not suggesting the Williams team start smuggling weed, but I guarantee the IMSA guys would be miles more interesting to talk to than anyone on the grid today.  

They are still looking for John Paul, Sr. who is probably still living the pirate's life on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean.

There was a lengthy article in R&T a year or so ago about him.  Son said as far as he know, John Paul Sr was still alive in Thailand, because no extradiction to US. 

"Survival of the Fittest" - now added to book wish list.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/24/23 6:35 p.m.
MiniDave said:

I really appreciate Bernie Collins being on the announcing team, I just wish I could understand what she's saying - unfortunately the closed captions lag really badly on the F1 broadcasts. REALLY badly......

wha-ta el da ya main...........I kin own-dare-stan er fan.

Me aunts from Donegal.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/24/23 6:38 p.m.
NorseDave said:
NorseDave said:

There was a lengthy article in R&T a year or so ago about him.  Son said as far as he know, John Paul Sr was still alive in Thailand, because no extradiction to US. 

"Survival of the Fittest" - now added to book wish list.

I actually worked with Jr at a manufacturer event; super chill guy and very fun. I was sad to hear of his passing.

I also have some friends who paid for their entry into the 24hrs via a bale of "plant material" they found washed up on a central Florida beach.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
3/24/23 6:46 p.m.
NorseDave said:

Dinner with racers has interviews with both don Whittington and randy lainer 2 of the most famous imsa drug racers. Back to Vegas consider that the cheapest ticket to this past Super Bowl was almost 5k this price for the paddock doesnt seem out of line. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/24/23 7:02 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Having lived here in the 70s and having attended the Caeser's F1 race for the equivalent of $235 in today's dollars.......yeah the $2200 a ticket is tough to take.

I did/do have the option of working it but I've flagged a lot of pro races back in the day so it's a been there done that kind of thing. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/24/23 8:39 p.m.

I'm the OP, and see that the secret to huge threads is to think up a title that you know that roughly half the readers will disagree. I'll add that to the list of other titles: "What THEY don't want you to know...", "Wait until you see her now...", and "... it's genius!"

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
3/24/23 8:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I like the way we started talking about the cost of attending an F1 race and ended up with the quality of $0.99 shimp cocktails in Vegas.

GRM Forum in a nutshell!

Just glad we didn't do one of those, "now this is a battle to the death" right turns. I like the shrimp discussion version.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
3/24/23 8:52 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

You can now make millions of dollars on YouTube ;) 

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
3/24/23 8:57 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Makes yer pecker longer.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/24/23 9:08 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Having lived here in the 70s and having attended the Caeser's F1 race for the equivalent of $235 in today's dollars.......yeah the $2200 a ticket is tough to take.

Yeah, but $235 seems steep to watch F1 cars autocross in a parking lot. laugh

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/24/23 11:11 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

True but we also got to see motorcyles race. A friend of mine actually rode the race.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G1jS0AUXRq6kJlUF7YqNcpJ2C9ycn67mD4F6AN7D0V9A8OQEHLIxa8ET1z2Jigla