1 2 3
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/6/19 7:53 a.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to TIGMOTORSPORTS :

I don't think Jordan needs any help to convince him he has to buy every large American sedan/wagon he can.

This. I've always wanted a P71. You know, for science. Now I just need a Town Car...

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/6/19 2:19 p.m.

Congrats on the purchase.

I can honestly say the P71 is one of the best cars I have ever bought. 

Need to take 5 to dinner. No problem. 

Autocross tomorrow. It can do that. And fairly well. I have several FS trophies with mine. 

Rallycross? Yep, does that pretty awesome as well. Season champ in MR with mine. We put 80 runs on mine one day with 10 drivers.

How about a track day or time trial. No worries, got that done as well.

Let your son drive it daily to work and pretty much beat the crap out of it. Done.

Still going strong. 

PS: There used to be a guy on Ebay selling Mustang takeoffs for $240 a set delivered. I bought 2 of them. One for street, one for rallycross.

And incase you were curious about how to get a P71 truly dirty...

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/6/19 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

The 87 Town Car is one I wish I had kept. 

chada75
chada75 Reader
11/6/19 2:27 p.m.
John Welsh said:

https://specpanther.com/index.php/gallery/

Hhmm.

chada75
chada75 Reader
11/6/19 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Serious Question. I'm running FS myself. What was entered when you won your Trophies? Thanks.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/6/19 2:46 p.m.
chada75 said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Serious Question. I'm running FS myself. What was entered when you won your Trophies? Thanks.

Serious answer. Mostly Mustangs with inexperienced drivers. I've got 10+ years of wheel time and that counts for a lot even against a more competent car. In our region we seem to get quite a few novices with Mustangs. Most with a lot of HP and drivers that think tire smoke and RPMs are the fast way around the course.

I have also been truly trounced driving it. 

Edit to add: If you have a deep field of locals that run FS, you will be at the bottom of the stack. The gearing, size and weigh just kills the P71 in most cases. It is fun as hell to drive though. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/6/19 2:47 p.m.

I think we need to update the trifecta. Miata stays, but the e30 and P71/XJ/Astro are all now too thin/ragged/expensive to really be options. 

I'm not quite sure what the e30 replacement should be, although e36/e43 is the obvious answer, but I propose a minivan for the third membership.

chada75
chada75 Reader
11/6/19 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Currently running as a novice and what little FS entries show up around here runs BMWs. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/6/19 3:29 p.m.
mtn said:

I think we need to update the trifecta. Miata stays, but the e30 and P71/XJ/Astro are all now too thin/ragged/expensive to really be options. 

I'm not quite sure what the e30 replacement should be, although e36/e43 is the obvious answer, but I propose a minivan for the third membership.

8th gen Accord to replace the E30.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/6/19 5:28 p.m.

In reply to chada75 :

BMW has a pretty competent chassis. With a equally good driver they will be hard to beat. Weight, size, and a stick axle are going to be your downfall.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/6/19 6:28 p.m.
mtn said:

986 Boxster, Mazda5, and fox body?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/6/19 6:35 p.m.

What are the goals of the trifecta? A three-car garage that can do everything? Does it have to be affordable? If so, here's my trifecta: Town Car/Grand Marquis, Ford Ranger, and whatever sporty car you prefer. The Panther can do comfortable cruising, the Ranger can do rallycross and haul stuff, and the sporty car can do autocross and track days. My sporty car choice would be a 1994 Mercury Capri XR2, just because it's a turbo convertible and nobody expects it.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
11/6/19 7:48 p.m.

Miata, then pick from Mazda 5, any station wagon, GMT400 (just described my fleet).

Back on topic, I've had 3 Panthers. This is really making me want another one.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/22/19 2:32 p.m.

Jordan, 

Just a FYI incase you don't get it, I shot you a FB message about a set of Mustang wheels in FL for $250. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/22/19 2:32 p.m.
Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/22/19 9:29 p.m.

Isn't the world a weird place. 

It turns out I may have a couple of sets of Mustang wheels available soon.

My son totaled my P71 this evening. He was in a intersection for a left turn when the light changed. As it turned red, he turned left. Unfortunately not everyone had stopped. Broad sided by a van. Smashed rear door, and quarter. Broken axle. Broken trailing arms.

Good news is no one was hurt.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
11/22/19 11:05 p.m.

I'm sorry to see that, but glad that no one was hurt.

Get another one! I've had 3. The first one for 14 years, the second one for 3 weeks (wife got hit in it), the third for six years. I gave the last one to my dad, who drove it another six years.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/23/19 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

That's probably what will happen. I'm making my son buy the next one though. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/23/19 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Glad your son is ok. In other news- Jordan is back in Ohio. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
12/20/19 5:06 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Isn't the world a weird place. 

It turns out I may have a couple of sets of Mustang wheels available soon.

My son totaled my P71 this evening. He was in a intersection for a left turn when the light changed. As it turned red, he turned left. Unfortunately not everyone had stopped. Broad sided by a van. Smashed rear door, and quarter. Broken axle. Broken trailing arms.

Good news is no one was hurt.

Glad he's okay. And I am waiting for a set of 18/19" wheels to pop up. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/20/19 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

Every cloud has a silver lining.

It turns out he wants to buy something else so that leave me with a spare vehicle I can turn into another Lemons car. The parts to put it back on 4 wheels came in this week and I'll be measuring for cage tubeing tomorrow. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RkCAfd7BzgLK6XuQcTKjA6VejTPGRH1zEYOkYJWokRo4OXFk7Lod3RN5uZbotqeq