1 2 3
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/8/08 7:46 a.m.

I thought I already had a thread on this subject, but it must've been on the old board. I had posted very little info about the car, other than the three-outlet master cylinder and the SBC swap. There's enough info in this pic for some of you to figure out what car it is:

The swap is down to plumbing and wiring, then I'll have to reassemble the front suspension so I can roll the car outside for the first start-up. No sense stinking up (or burning down) the house that's attached to the garage.

I'll keep track of other build accomplishments in this thread. Chances are good that this will be my last big solo Challenge effort.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/8/08 8:04 a.m.

I want to touch you inappropriately right now.

minimac
minimac UltraDork
7/8/08 8:19 a.m.

Was that a picture of the repaired hand and digits?

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
7/8/08 8:39 a.m.

is ti a chevette?

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
7/8/08 8:50 a.m.

I don't think so, there is no rust and he IS in Michigan ;)

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
7/8/08 9:06 a.m.

Thats freak'n SWEET!!!!!

Cant wait to see the fine bod attached to that bay!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/8/08 11:48 a.m.

Its a Porsche!

Could be: 924/944/931/951/968/928, etc

but its still a Porsche!

I guess Angry's run of non-aircooled V-8 swapped Challenge rides continues....

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
7/8/08 12:01 p.m.

Can't wait to see this.

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
7/8/08 12:04 p.m.

You mean it is an Angry P-Car?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/8/08 12:22 p.m.

COOOOL!

Keep up the great work Angry Dude.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/8/08 12:46 p.m.

With the new board names, we can't tell who's who. skappes is doitover or something, etc. Are you TAFKATAFKAAC?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/8/08 12:54 p.m.

it's not just a 944, it's the 944 that Crash and Frankenstang built for the $2004 Challenge, so it's legacy evil. a friend of mine bought it from Crash last year, then realized that he didn't have the mad skillz to make it happen, so i bailed him out of it and am doing the restification. i just couldn't keep quiet about it anymore.

no TAFKA anymore, just plain old AC.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/8/08 1:00 p.m.

So JPOAC is TAFKATAFKAAC then. OK. Got it.

Nice engine bay paint job.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/8/08 2:11 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: it's not just *a* 944, it's *the* 944 that Crash and Frankenstang built for the $2004 Challenge, so it's legacy evil. a friend of mine bought it from Crash last year, then realized that he didn't have the mad skillz to make it happen, so i bailed him out of it and am doing the restification. i just couldn't keep quiet about it anymore. no TAFKA anymore, just plain old AC.

Correction: it's legacy eVil. Nice work!

poopshovel, I'm goingto keep the camper doors locked at CMP.

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
7/8/08 4:14 p.m.

JPOAC, catchy aint it ?

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/8/08 5:56 p.m.

That looks nice.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/19/08 5:48 p.m.

Exhaust work is no fun at all. I spent several hours today figuring out how to cobble up a decently robust exhaust system from the two cherry bombs, six feet of straight pipe, and six muffler clamps that were on the car when i got it. I hate to roll over on Crash and Frankenstang, but the front end of the pipes was held up by plumbing strap and the rear end was held up by a friggin' Bungee cord hooked into the open ends of the mufflers.

I came up with a pretty sweet and very cheap way to keep the mufflers aligned under the car. i still had a piece of cheap 1.5" angle with holes every 3/4", leftover from installing the new garage door opener a few months ago. turns out that a 2-1/2" muffler clamp lines up perfectly with this hole spacing! So I took some measurements, cut a few pieces with the snips, cut a couple of one-foot lengths from the straights, and bolted it all together. My little girl was very proud of my cheapness! Check it out:

Here's how it looks from the side. I'll do some shaping to reduce the odds of me gashing my melon open on them.

and here's how it hangs from the OE 944 hangers and isolators, which clamp directly to the torque tube:

Yeah, I didn't go too far with the white paint, LOL...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/20/08 9:31 p.m.

got a little more work done under the car this afternoon. the shot below shows an original exhaust hanger bracket clamped to the torque tube, just in front of the transaxle. the bracket bolted into the tunnel just above the muffler outlets will have two generic parts-store exhaust hangers welded to it, and that assembly will provide positive location of the aft end of the mufflers.

the next shot shows how the steel part of the $2.99 AdvanPepZone exhaust hanger will be oriented. this will tuck the cherry bombs up under the car about as high as they can go. they'll still be the lowest thing in the middle of the wheelbase, but for absolute ground clearance they're not as low as the lower shock mounts in the rear.

and the next shot shows the bracket and both hanger pieces, in their approximate finished orientation. i'm proud of this kluge because it only cost me $6 so far. a few minutes with the wire wheel and the TIG tomorrow at lunch and i'll have a nice little bracket for not much coin. while not everyone would spend $6 of their challenge budget this way, remember that i don't build race cars, i build street cars i can race. a reasonably solid and sorta quiet exhaust system is part of that philosophy. and it should still go 12's on motor, even with all this exhaust weight hanging below.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/21/08 12:01 a.m.

$6 for exhaust hangers? We mounted waaaay more critical parts for about $3 today.

Funny thing is- the job involved a muffler clamp and we weren't working on the exhaust!

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
7/21/08 2:20 a.m.

Wait, 2 cherry bombs on a V8 and it's "sorta quiet"? The cherry bomb on my Midget was ridiculously loud, and it's only a puny 1275cc 4-cylinder.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/21/08 8:02 a.m.

Good Dad, I see the car seat is ready for installation also.

Dan

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
7/21/08 8:24 a.m.

Great eye Dan.

Pat are you going Guido with the child labor?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/21/08 10:21 a.m.

Man, that's a happy kid.

I think child labor now has to be counted toward the budget.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/21/08 11:55 a.m.

i'm speculating that the cherry bombs will do more than just add weight, but to be honest i've never heard this car run so IDK just how bad it'll be.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/21/08 12:24 p.m.

I had a cherry bomb on a 20v in the MR2. The correct descriptive phrase would be "Ear Splitting." My wife wouldn't ride in the car without ear plugs. You couldn't hear the stereo. I thought it was OK until the thug with the gun came along and I put a different muffler on. Still loud, but you could hear the stereo.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ksjME78SHByLzp0cKmW2rPWoPr4G5oF2B2LhRnc8NKNSRYt4sgJk3zwSbwc0DkcC