bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/28/15 2:03 p.m.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
4/28/15 2:11 p.m.

that's an approach that I hadn't thought of.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
4/28/15 2:18 p.m.

Nice, and the car ends up having a view even in a mostly enclosed hauler.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/28/15 2:21 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Yeah, because its really important for the car to see out during trips so it doesn't get bored.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
4/28/15 2:43 p.m.

Oh damn! That's really appealing. Been thinking of some sort of similar conversion, but that's doable with so little work. And it'd make a useful platform for other stuff as well. Kind of high up, but you could probably rig storage in the undercarriage as well.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5000481869.html

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
4/28/15 2:44 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Maybe it gets motion sickness.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/28/15 2:50 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

That's very possible. Especially if its one of those cars that doesn't move much.

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
4/28/15 3:11 p.m.

Wonder if the GVW rating supports this?

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
4/28/15 3:13 p.m.

In reply to glueguy:

I'd say that car weighs less than a bus load of people

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/28/15 3:16 p.m.

Those bus chassis are all rated for over 10K gross weight. They have dual rear tires and I see no reason why it can't haul a car that will fit in the back or one that weights less then 3K. I'm not saying what else one can put in along with the car but the car is not a problem.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
4/28/15 5:42 p.m.

Unless you went with a diesel, the mileage might be pretty terrible.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/28/15 6:31 p.m.

My first thought.

Hope you don't hit anything. Digging a car out of your back would kind of suck.

It would damn sure have at least, 4, 15K# straps holding it back. Might have to build a pretty substantial cage up front too.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/28/15 6:33 p.m.

While it is kinda cool, what exactly is the benefit of this over a trailer?

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
4/28/15 8:14 p.m.

I think that would be a great race rig but with the car on a trailer behind it. That van/bus would be nice as a tools and gear hauler with plenty of room for you and the crew to relax in the back.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
4/28/15 10:11 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: While it is kinda cool, what exactly is the benefit of this over a trailer?

shorter, easier to maneuver, less tolls for less axles.

noddaz
noddaz Dork
4/29/15 6:30 a.m.

Years ago a guy I knew had a streetstock stockcar that was hauled and stored in a modified full size school bus. I know, without pictures, it didn't happen.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/29/15 6:54 a.m.

I see that type of bus for sale in front of churches regularly in the southeast. Usually they're low mileage with some deferred maintenance for fairly low money. Many churches think it's great to have a van/bus until they do the math related to maintenance versus actual use.

I've had the thought many times that they would make killer tow vehicles with room to haul tools and put up a cot in the van. Never thought to put the car IN it, but I don't generally deal with cars that small/light either.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
4/29/15 7:00 a.m.

Bread van

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/29/15 7:26 a.m.

If old school busses are cheap enough that you can figure 8 race them on a Saturday night, I'd go for it.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
4/29/15 7:58 a.m.

I know a guy who grafted a cab-over semi cab and diesel drivetrain onto a schoolbus body and chassis. Clamshelled the back end of the bus, and he drives his RX7 racecar into the back when he's done racing, with enough room for some basic tools, a small kitchenette, and a cot.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
4/29/15 9:48 a.m.

I like that. I've seen plenty of school bus haulers before, but that is the first of the shuttle bus type I've seen. You could pull the car out and camp inside of it just fine.

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
4/29/15 10:25 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: While it is kinda cool, what exactly is the benefit of this over a trailer?
shorter, easier to maneuver, less tolls for less axles.

Less to store/maintain/register/insure - but storage would be the big one for me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ry3q0evOC8mTCeMsBKqhV5Ee9g1mldab4bFvTf0FfWLTiGE6RcT5syJwQKh7rvNn