2 3 4
ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
5/3/14 8:15 p.m.

Make it home alright?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
5/3/14 9:05 p.m.

Let's hope he's not waiting for internet access at the local slammer .

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/5/14 9:26 a.m.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/5/14 9:37 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
ShadowSix wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
ScreaminE wrote: Maryland = Virginia = We're takin' all yo money.
Not legally you're not. A Maryland or Virginia resident in your own state? Sure. An Indiana resident in your state? Nope. You cannot impose your vehicular laws on non-residents. Period.
Do you have a source for that? Sounds plausible but I didn;t find anything with a quick googling.
Actually for VA, they will enforce your home state rules on an out of state vehicle traffic stop. BTDT.

As any state will or should. But they cannot enforce THEIR rules on out of state vehicles/drivers. Recipricating agreement between states

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/5/14 9:47 a.m.

I take the above picture as a yes! I have those wheels. They look good. And are light. And cheap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/5/14 9:58 a.m.

Yeah, that's after an extremely awful 1050 mile straight through drive home.

And then got to do an hour round trip afterwards to break the turbo 95 out of the airport parking lot.

The turbo 95 felt CRAZY after 1000 miles in the NB.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
5/19/14 7:12 p.m.

This is stupid. I just read the whole thread as I am looking to buy a car out of state this weekend. The plan was to rent a car in Ohio and drive to PA and drive the new car home. Whatever happened to interstate commerce laws? They don't apply? Ohio won't give me a temp plate without the title and PA need me and the seller to go to the BMV to get one with the title, but it will be after hours on a holiday weekend.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/19/14 10:17 p.m.

The official answer is to drive the car home without a plate, make sure you have a signed bill of sale.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
5/20/14 5:19 a.m.

I bought a car in PA once. I don't remember needing the seller present to get transport tags in PA. I think I got my transport tag in PA on a Saturday, just don't remember exactly where.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/20/14 6:25 a.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: I bought a car in PA once. I don't remember needing the seller present to get transport tags in PA. I think I got my transport tag in PA on a Saturday, just don't remember exactly where.

PA is a notary state so yes the seller has to be present. But unlike most other states you dont have to go to DMV/BMV/MVS whatever, they have private title agencies which can do the job and many are open on weekends.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
5/20/14 7:58 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: This is stupid. I just read the whole thread as I am looking to buy a car out of state this weekend. The plan was to rent a car in Ohio and drive to PA and drive the new car home. Whatever happened to interstate commerce laws? They don't apply? Ohio won't give me a temp plate without the title and PA need me and the seller to go to the BMV to get one with the title, but it will be after hours on a holiday weekend.

PenDot might as well be the new "Illinois Nazis". I bought my '95 sho from there and started to drive it back on a currently valid to it licence plate from the former owner. I was pulled for having tinted tails and leaving an oil smoke trail(due to a VC gasket leak) As I was using a PA plate for the car, I had to adhere to their laws. Once they discovered the car somehow had current registration on a 5yr out of date inspection sticker, they forced me to rent a dolly to tow it. I picked the car up from Imperial and was stopped 10min from Ohio......

Even they admitted that I should have brought an out of state plate with me. Some states like Oklahoma get tricky as the plate stays with the car(you just transfer owners of it)

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
5/20/14 11:02 a.m.

disclaimer - most things i've done with fictitious plates were in my younger and more vulnerable years. mostly anymore i hook up the trailer and just pull stuff home. except that olds i bought in january and used my truck plate to get it 10 miles home.

i know this is already done, but if car 1 is a red miata, and car 2 is a red miata. i'd have taken my plates, insurance card, and registration with me in the event of being pulled over. i've never had or heard of a cop look at the vin on the car to see if it matches the registration paper. papers say miata, car says miata, cop writes you a ticket or lets you go. ohio now asks color of the vehicle, so it probably pops up in their computer or something.

the problem would be if you get wrecked or the car gets stolen at the gas station. then your stuff won't cover it, because it's not the same car.

i've never had trouble with this scenario. buy an 88-98 chevy truck. slap a plate from one of my others on it, carry my registration and insurance, drive it home, part it out.

one time my mom and i went to PA to pick up a lumina for my sister that i bought on ebay. first and only car purchase from there. either way, i also had a lumina. we slapped my front plate on the new car and drove home 2 luminas on the same plate. my car following because it had the registration stickers on it. no looks from PA police because PA has no front tags. stayed off the turnpike, took backroads at the speed limit or a tad lower, no problem.

two times i have purchased vehicles out of state and sent a deposit, had signed title sent to me, got ohio temp tag, and drove out with title and tag in my name with the balance in cash to get the car/truck.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1P4xtvA3kfC998IOdOpLK9A65pA8iL5wPWQDv3CnfZaBeOO0ldfSPD5aPd1x54l