obsolete
obsolete Reader
4/8/21 1:40 p.m.

So, finding parts for a 33 year old Mitsubishi in the US is sometimes tricky, and sometimes impossible. For OEM parts that are NLA in the US dealer network, I've had pretty good luck ordering from Japan through Amayama, but there are some things they can't get. I've been aware of Yahoo! Japan auctions for a while; seems like that's the predominant marketplace in Japan, like eBay is in the US, and it's full of forbidden JDM goodness. I see some NOS OEM and aftermarket parts I'd like to order, and it seems like a proxy buying service is the way to do it. Buyee looks like the biggest one and appears to be a pretty legit operation. Anyone here have experience doing this before? Any suggestions or words of warning before I jump in?

TanukiAttack
TanukiAttack
4/8/21 2:50 p.m.

I have used Buyee around 15 times in the last 3 months since picking up a Honda Beat. Some items currently have shipping restrictions but usually it will tell you upfront that is the case. I have had nothing but great experiences with the service. Keep in mind the items I have been purchasing are smaller in size, I most likely wouldn't use it for body panels or large items since the oversized packaging fees are often more than the cost of the product itself. For larger items I would go through a broker service.

obsolete
obsolete Reader
4/8/21 2:56 p.m.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, the stuff I'm looking it is fairly small and light. The only restrictions I've seen is on parts that contain airbags, like seats and steering wheels.

TanukiAttack
TanukiAttack New Reader
4/8/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Should be good to go then! I wouldn't hesitate. I have gotten things faster from japan through them then it takes to get E36 M3 from LA, and I live in Orange County. lmao

aw614
aw614 Reader
4/9/21 8:19 a.m.

In reply to TanukiAttack :

I am still shocked at how fast things ship from Japan to the US, extremely efficient and fast even for larger items like wheels and oil pans.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
8/28/23 10:28 a.m.

Good Feedback. I'm following too because my 27 Y/O Mitsubishi Mirage is fun as well. A lot of the parts cross to the USDM Mirage but a lot don't as well. So I've gotten to know the Malaysian, Japanese, and Dubai part brokers well. 

obsolete
obsolete Dork
8/28/23 2:08 p.m.

bmw88rider - I love your Mirage!

Since this has been bumped, I'll update it. I ordered a handful of items from Yahoo! Japan auctions through Buyee and used their package consolidation service to have it all shipped over in one box. I declined the extra protective packaging and the photo service and everything was still shipped really well protected and arrived exactly in the condition I expected it to. It wasn't cheap, but for stuff you simply can't find anywhere else, it was amazing.

I wanted some Juran seat mounts but couldn't get them through Buyee, so I ordered those from RHDJapan. I paid them in JPY through Wise.com which actually ended up being a pretty good deal (their exchange rate was better than what RHDJapan was showing), so that was a good buying experience too.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
8/28/23 3:52 p.m.

Thanks for the info. It's been a fun daily driver and the perfect around the town car. There is not a day where it doesn't get a stare or someone asking a question. I get more attention in this than my buddy in his 911 and he HATES that. 

I have used RHDJapan for brakes and a few other things and just ordered a flywheel as well. Partsouq for a few things and got to know a lithuania breaker yard. The Yen is really good right now so the pricing has been really pretty favorable. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/28/23 3:56 p.m.

Guess what i didn't need to know existed? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mYEQ9GVJiFb9aDphbGgfVOZpZN2d4CJGBWHdPCSNGRs0uYmXWdbUA3S16Zqz1aY4