accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/4/14 3:40 p.m.

This awesome thread made me aware of the Mitsubishi swap-a-thon, that is DIY Evos.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/cant-buy-an-evo-i-iii-yet-so-i-made-my-ownkinda/82093/page1/

Googling around seems to indicate that making an "Evo" isn't too hard (while not easy).

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine/582255-99-mirage-evo-5-awd-conversion.html

Anyone have any good resources for what swaps where and how hard? Links/personal experience/whatever. These little cars look like a ball, and with AWD - rather potent.

I've always been a honda guy, but am kind of tired of FWD. The Miata has helped some, but I would like to give an AWD boost buggy a go.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/4/14 3:47 p.m.

These photos and content withing should make your head explode...
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/westside-hooligan-awd-mirage-update/53840/page1/

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/4/14 4:01 p.m.

My wife's out of town for two weeks and I'm browsing craigslist.

I might have another car and not a wife soonish.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/14 4:08 p.m.

Sounds expensive.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/4/14 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

Probably.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
10/4/14 8:09 p.m.

I know on my Lancer the unibody is almost identical to the evo save for a couple major parts. Such as the rear quarter panels and rear upper strut mounts. Probably more but anyways its just different enough that that it'll take some major fab work and welding to make the drivetrain and suspension bolt on. I'm not sure that the mirages shared as many similarities as the later lancers did.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider HalfDork
10/4/14 8:24 p.m.

Yes you can do it.....And yes it's not that bad. The good thing is that now there are EVO's in North America, parts are much easier to find than they were when I helped my friend build his. The only difference is the trunk floor pan. You do have to cut that out and either build a frame or weld in the the Evo floor pan. Other than that, you can bolt it all in if you can find the parts. That has historically been the issue. You could get the front cuts but not the rear cuts.

This is for the 4G CSM models. The 3G like the westside team have are actually easier in a lot of ways. 4G61t.org use to have a lot of information on that swap.

5G CSM swaps are a lot harder because of the wiring. Mechanically it's still pretty easy. I would get an EVO 8 first though before building one of those. It would be cheaper and the Evo 8 is a better car.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/4/14 8:53 p.m.

I once saw pictures of a 1st gen Tiburon with an Evo Drivetrain. I thought that would be an awesome conversion

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
10/4/14 9:25 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder:

Not sure I understand the goal you want to achieve? Drag racing? DD? Autocross? Track car?

Which Evo do you want to create? Why not just by an Evo8/9/10?

I helped build an Evo on a 4th gen Mirage/Lancer Sedan body. Using a Eagle Talon donor. It did take a lot of work to get the rear frame aligned before welding in the reinforced mounting points. Also there was a lot of work on the wiring to get it clean.

It has been tweaked since it was birthed. I was a fast straight out the gate and gets faster with each step. The only car I ever got an adrenaline rush in (hands shaking), that is after years of ice racing, rallycross, Road racing, and also autocrossing my Evo8.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/4/14 11:34 p.m.

In reply to Advan046:

I don't want to or care about creating an "Evo." I just like building things that go fast. So just learning the ins and outs.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/4/14 11:38 p.m.

So what I really mean is I want to build something with a 4g63T and AWD.

old_
old_ Reader
10/4/14 11:44 p.m.

Ive always wanted to 4g63t awd one of these

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/5/14 6:40 a.m.
old_ wrote: Ive always wanted to 4g63t awd one of these

That sir is so evil.. it needs to be done

bmw88rider
bmw88rider HalfDork
10/5/14 6:58 a.m.

Boom....There you go. The transmission is the same as the DSM's in one of those so you just need to put the engine in and then plumb and wire it.

It's been done a lot. I saw one going 10.5 in the quarter. It was funny to see the look on people's faces.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
10/5/14 12:34 p.m.

the Expo lrvr4

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/5/14 2:57 p.m.

In reply to 4g63t:

I'm super disappointed with your reply given your user name ;)

I didn't realize evo-8's had become so affordable.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider HalfDork
10/5/14 6:28 p.m.

It's not that...It's just that getting the parts and getting it welded straight is not an easy proposition. Add that to the lovely fact that 4/5G CSM's love to rot out their roofs because of the glue they used...It's a PTA and it adds up quickly cost wise. I would build a 2nd gen Talon first instead of another swapped CSM but that is just me.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
10/6/14 4:15 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

That wasn't me being snarky about the Evo VIII, there are several around me for "reasonable" sums of money.

Talon might be cool also. What does CSM stand for?

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
10/6/14 4:18 p.m.

I have a caged logbooked Talon TSi (AWD turbo) car that I'd be willing to part with.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/14 5:33 p.m.
accordionfolder wrote: In reply to bmw88rider: That wasn't me being snarky about the Evo VIII, there are several around me for "reasonable" sums of money. Talon might be cool also. What does CSM stand for?

Colt summit mirage triplets.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider HalfDork
10/6/14 6:09 p.m.

Oh and if anyone is really interested for an odd ball FSP autox car, You can build a 2.4L 4G CSM and have a 150-170HP under 2K LBS car.

They put the Summit Van for 94-95 on the same line as the regular summit coupe.

Put some 13" rims, I custom made a set of coilovers using a koni DA cartridges and A1 VW strut housings.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/6/14 8:52 p.m.
Wally wrote: Sounds expensive.

Might be cheaper than I thought

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
10/6/14 9:03 p.m.
old_ wrote: Ive always wanted to 4g63t awd one of these

GOOD NEWS!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtKcUJtgDhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfHRiMAYyp4

ss
ss New Reader
10/9/14 9:12 p.m.

Welder and a dream The 3G csm is straight forward with the engine swap. Adding awd is not that complicated, but you will need to build some things. I think a 4g mirage is the easiest to convert but I've never tried. Dsm parts are plentiful and cheap. Great budget build and super fun to drive. Enjoy

4g61t.org is a great source of info

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
01yej5UIv68KA2L5Tm43TpgvNSUVGhmzonrhqgQ0H4IgOfAf3YnEANWqyHRsxIbW