1 2
Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
11/19/21 11:20 a.m.

I've kicked around the idea of buying one good sportscar for my wife and I to enjoy (weekend trips, ice cream runs, etc), and naturally The Answer is at the top of the list.  I've wanted one of these since the intro in 1989 and have come close a few times, but never pulled the trigger.  Anyone have any scoop on what (if any) changes will be coming for 2022, or largely the same with Bold New Colors?  I like the current car, although would appreciate inclusion of the upgraded infotainment from my wife's '21 CX-5...the current car has the older infotainment system from the ND introduction.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
11/19/21 11:26 a.m.

Since we recently got the ND2 with a bunch of little tweaks including more power, I wouldn't expect any substantive changes until the next generation.

With how crazy the market is right now I would just hop on the first good deal you can find.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
1/12/22 2:14 p.m.

Some updates on what's new for '22 (Source - 2022 Mazda MX-5 Miata Continues to Exist, Still Costs Money (motortrend.com):

The handling of the MX-5 has always been top notch, but it seems it still isn't perfect enough for Mazda. For 2022, the Miata gets a new technology from Mazda called Kinematic Posture Control (KPC). The KPC is described as an extension of the driver that "manages different vehicle systems to help the MX-5 Miata" without "adding a single gram of weight."  It's nearly a form of vectoring control, but instead of powering the outside rear wheel harder using a tricky rear differential, the inside wheel gets a touch of braking during high-G cornering. This "pulls down on that corner, suppressing body roll, and making steering response feel more linear through tight or rough corners," according to Mazda. Stronger braking is also used when accelerating through the corner as a way to enhance the action of the Miata's limited-slip differential.

New colors are also coming to the interior and exterior of everyone's favorite roadster. If you opt for the Grand Touring trim, you'll be able to add Terracotta Nappa Leather for $300 more. For all models, a new color called Platinum Quartz Metallic is a no-cost paint option. It's a true sign of Mazda continuing its reach into the premium segment, because you can't call something "rich" without there being some platinum in it (we kid). That's not to say the new paint it isn't a beautiful shade of off-white, however, as it looks amazing on the MX-5 in its hardtop retractable fastback (RF) form.

Some other trim level specific tweaks (wireless CarPlay on Club and Grand Touring, auto only available on GT, etc), but largely the same ND2 that everyone loves.

I'll be interested as more info comes available on Kinetic Posture Control.  In general, I'm not a raving fan of using brakes for anything besides...braking.  That said, I saw an article from Dave Coleman (can't seem to find it currently) that says it's pretty low pressure at the caliper to tease the suspension into reducing body roll.

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/12/22 3:00 p.m.

Bold new colors!  Hah!

You can currently buy the car in your choice of 2 shades of white, 3 shades of grey, black, or red.  Mazda has come in with an exciting new color for 2022: Beige!

The blue-gray isn't bad looking, but it's definitely more gray than blue and it's only available on the "GT"--the most-expensive and heaviest version that's least-likely to appeal to an enthusiast.

The "red" is the metallic red that they paint everything in now.  I actually think it looks great in bright sunlight, but I think it looks terrible in all other light.  I don't know what was wrong with Classic Red, which is the correct color for a Miata.  They painted exactly one of them in that color for an auto show and it was amazing.

I think Mazda's making a terrible mistake with the available color offers.  I'm no marketing whiz, but I've been waiting to buy an ND until they offer one in some exciting color, so there's at least one sale that's stuck on it.  I will grant that the 30th anniversary edition orange was an exciting color, but orange is just not my thing.  They certainly had no problem selling all of those, and I think a big part of the reason they sold so well was the chance to get one in a real color.

I would prefer Classic Red, but I'd take a midlife-crisis-yellow, an exciting blue, or BRG...  I've been thinking for the last 5 years that a color I liked would show up "next year".  2021 was a perfect opportunity to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original BRG, but they passed that up.

I could settle for one of the existing colors, but I view this as a chance to vote with my wallet, not something I get to do often when it comes to cars.  If the NE is electric, chances are good I'll just buy a used ND and paint it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/12/22 3:21 p.m.

I'll be doing a video on KPC in a couple of weeks, I've been talking to Dave about it. It sounds pretty promising and the effects he describes are a lot different than "less roll". 

I really doubt the NE will be electric. Mild hybrid is a lot more likely. 

I've asked Mazda insiders about BRG on the ND and they were not impressed with how it works on that body. 

pointofdeparture
1/12/22 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

I would agree that the one place the GR86/BRZ have a huuuuuge leg up on the Miata is color choice. The colors available on those cars for '22 are outstanding!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Especially the highlighter blue on the GR86!

pointofdeparture
1/12/22 4:27 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Yep, I love that one. I'm inherently first-year-shy so I'm not a buyer for '22, but the '23 models aren't that far out...

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/12/22 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ooh, I'll tune in for your KPC video.  It sounds like the sort of tech that makes a Miata more Miata rather than less, even if it's "complicated" and "fancy".

By "electric" I meant to include mild hybrid.  I'm open-minded; it's entirely possible that Mazda does an affordable, light-weight hybrid system that allows a Miata to still be a Miata.  But it sounds like a really hard problem, and I'm skeptical they'll pull it off.

(1) Is there an existing mild hybrid system that works with a 3-pedal manual transmission?  It seems like it should be possible, but is there one? A CVT Miata would not be a Miata.  A DCT is probably not still a Miata, but I'd consider.  Even well-done, it's probably too expensive/big/heavy for a Miata?

(2) Everyone talks about weight, but I'm guessing that's because it's probably critical here.  Given how even Mazda realized the NC wasn't a Miata (I assume, since they stopped calling it that!), I'm not sure how the fanatical devotion to weight in the ND transfers to an NE with a mild hybrid. 

(3) Maybe a full-electric Miata is still a Miata, but that sounds incredibly hard?  I'm not sure how the math checks out on the weight, but even getting to ditch an engine/transmission for some traction motors doesn't sound like enough weight savings to pack in batteries with a useful enough range.  I'm not opposed to electric categorically, but I'm going to have a hard time believing it's a Miata.  I've driven a Tesla 3 (the "slow" one!) irresponsibly--sure it's fun, it's fast, it goes around corners remarkably well, but there's no hiding that it weighs twice what a Miata does.  And there's just no soul in that quiet, insane, pummeling acceleration.  I'd much rather drive something that feels fast than something that is fast.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/22 4:30 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to Berck :

I would agree that the one place the GR86/BRZ have a huuuuuge leg up on the Miata is color choice. The colors available on those cars for '22 are outstanding!

And the ability to haul 4 tires inside LOL. 

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/12/22 4:32 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

And the ability to haul 4 tires inside LOL. 

Depends on how nit-picky you are about the definition of "inside" :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/12/22 5:49 p.m.

KPC is neat because it's simply using existing information and components in a new way. It's basically just a software tweak. I'd love to know who came up with it. 

A modern accelerator pedal is just a torque request device anyhow, it doesn't really control where that torque comes from. Getting some of that torque from an electric motor is just software. The speed of response may suit a Miata very well. Given that Mazda's been chasing mid-range torque on the Miata since 1994, that seems a good match. 

A while back I did some rough math on a fully electric ND, and came up with about 2800 lbs with 200 miles of range and, umm, hundreds of hp. We've built an LS Miata (PRHT NC) that was pretty close to that weight iirc. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/12/22 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

I'm just happy this forum has another member that doesn't think SUV red is an appropriate sports car color!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
1/12/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

I thought you were kidding about the beige color until I clicked the link. A+ work by Mazda's color picking team there, haha. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/22 8:34 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Yep, I love that one. I'm inherently first-year-shy so I'm not a buyer for '22, but the '23 models aren't that far out...

That's my plan of action, unless the new Z Performance trim ends up not being as expensive as I think it will be. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
1/12/22 8:47 p.m.

I will say if you can find one, I'm a big fan of my 2021 in deep crystal blue over white:

This is pretty much a perfect car if you're a Miata person.  The engine has enough everywhere you want it, good sounds, and of course, great handling.  Putting the top up makes it a fine coupe.

I'm really curious what the difference will be with KPF, though.   I'd love to try it!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/12/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

I'd love to see more of that combo in a convertible.  If I get another Miata it will be a drop top. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
1/13/22 9:58 a.m.

Nice taste :) 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/13/22 11:00 a.m.

We have twinsies on the forum!

Is yours really a 2022? I'm guessing it's a 2021. I don't think the 22's are being delivered yet, and that weather does not look like January.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
1/13/22 11:32 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Is yours really a 2022? I'm guessing it's a 2021. I don't think the 22's are being delivered yet, and that weather does not look like January.

We do!  It is a 21, sorry, I was on my phone and typo'd.  Good catch :)

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
1/13/22 11:32 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Indeed sir! 

I believe when you took that one home that I said I was shopping for the same exact combo.   I think I found mine about 3 weeks after you got yours.   Most likely it was the last one on the east coast.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/13/22 11:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

On of my local dealers is showing 4 2022's on the way, with colors and transmission choice. But nothing about trim/price/availability date.

Which I found odd since the 2022 info isn't on the Mazda site yet. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/13/22 1:02 p.m.

It's pretty typical for next model year Miatas not to show up until spring. And that's with normal shipping! The press releases usually are far ahead of the actual cars.

I don't even think there have been journalist drives of the KPC setup yet, which means there are no cars anywhere.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/14/22 12:06 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Nice taste :) 

I like that. Too much of a slob to live with white seats though.

Also, have you had an issue with dye from your pants rubbing off on the seats? Ive seen several manufacturers run into this. There is even a "blue jean dye remover" product that is offered.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/14/22 12:43 p.m.

The brake thingy sounds like what Ford has been doing for ten years or so.

Honda made CR-Zs with 6 speed manual transmissions.  I think the engine is always running if you are moving, though, the hybrid system is more of a really aggressive start-stop with some light acceleration assist.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JRo3ib2TcCRSN4VFbIwTypmrSMde8HuHK78j0TIy5A1hx07mAINOzFFCQkhidHWH