MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/20/21 11:18 a.m.

Against all logical reasoning, I decided several years back to return to College. So, as I am about to turn 50, I am starting a Hybrid DPT program at South College in January. Part of that is I have to stay in Knoxville for 2 weeks every 3 months. Typically students share a VRBO or AirBNB but that sounds too easy. Before I go that route I thought I would reach out the GRM family to see if any of you are sitting on a rental, an RV, a Boat on a river, or just know a guy, who could help out?

Male, married, 49YO, likes cars, might snore.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/20/21 11:50 a.m.

I sure don't.....

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
11/20/21 12:00 p.m.

Hmmmm.  An RV in the Walmart parking lot?  Do they still allow that?  Bonus points if there's a Planet Fitness for a hot shower in the same shopping center.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/20/21 1:29 p.m.
triumph7 said:

Hmmmm.  An RV in the Walmart parking lot?  Do they still allow that?  Bonus points if there's a Planet Fitness for a hot shower in the same shopping center.

I considered that and the idea a of dragging a sleeper boat up there and staying on the river. The problem is the 8 hour drive towing a boat  or driving an RV adds more hassle and cost than it's worth.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/20/21 2:41 p.m.

Seems like a good opportunity to buy yourself an AirBNB and rent it out when you are not there.

octavious
octavious Dork
11/20/21 4:05 p.m.

I can't help with the rental. But I live in Knox and if you need anything, or wanna grab a beer/coffee give me a shout.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/20/21 5:38 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Seems like a good opportunity to buy yourself an AirBNB and rent it out when you are not there.

I like the way you think.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
11/21/21 8:44 a.m.

I, too, am in the area. One tip I can give is to avoid the suites off Kingston Pike. They empty the dumpsters at 3 AM, loudly, and there seemed to be quite a few shall we say, domestic disturbances. Good luck. If any help is needed, just yell.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/21/21 8:47 a.m.

I'm not in the area, but wanted to give you kudos for continuing to advance yourself and your learning.  

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/21/21 9:02 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I'm not in the area, but wanted to give you kudos for continuing to advance yourself and your learning.  

I appreciate that. Your drive to do the same has impressed me over the years.

It has been an interesting batch of realizations over the last 6 years. All those things I thought were beyond my capability 25 years ago were not, I just have to put in the hard work. 

Fueled by Caffeine
11/21/21 10:00 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Thank you for the kind words.  My wife is currently going back to school. Balancing that with kids has been interesting.   Our standards of cleanliness have degraded. 

what's behind the motivation to get the next level  of education?  Teaching or ??

i ask because I'm starting to think about lecturing in operations.  The idea is to build a portal "retirement job" where I can eventually travel and work as I please. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/21/21 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I  went back to school for a more stable income than Personal Training provided.  I considered a DPT at the time but didn't know if I could get the grades needed to be accepted. I kept taking the DPT prerequisites after I got my PTA degree to keep the DPT degree option open. It turns out that my 40+ year old brain is slower than my 20-something brain, but way more dedicated. I did pretty well and managed to get in to PT school.

The two year Physical Therapist Assistant degree pays the bills but I figured out I prefer being on the level of the PT. I want the patients to be mine, with my decisions and evaluations driving their plan of care.  I also want  my education to be on par with the smartest guys in the room and not feel like I am always several steps below them in knowledge. The only way for me to do that is through more school. 

Financially the DPT program is too expensive and costs a lot of lost income while you are in school. Fortunately we are in a situation where we can afford to accrue more debt. Another perk is that the field has a lot of part time work built in. If I do need to work past retirement I can start and stop pretty easily and work as little or as much as I like at rates higher than the average full time employees hourly.

Fueled by Caffeine
11/21/21 4:30 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Sounds like you have your sights on the right goal. More control and more options for the future. A friend up here does bespoke pt for athletes. $100/hr no insurance.  She seems to be doing well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pgjUsR2RcCdeHMxrSPQ2dszfzhbYx1bM7PkZqA6YRBIgTudWjwC63GESNhQuH1mZ