I'm having trouble finding a Mopar part. It seems to be out of stock everywhere, but what baffles me is the lack of additional information/future visibility.

There are about 80 bajillion sites that pop up when searching the part number (just about combination of parts, store, mopar, and factory/oem/wholesale you can imagine) and just about all of them will let you place an order, and then notify you later that it can't be fulfilled and has been cancelled. Calling local dealers generally results in a parts counter person jumping through the hoops of initiating an order, and then saying, "well, looks like that one isn't in-stock/available." and about the only thing they can offer is to call when they get it back in stock. 

I've set up an alert on RockAuto.

The thing I find puzzling is that when buying parts for other brands, maybe not all, but some websites list actual inventory on hand, and/or the anticipated ETA for backordered parts. Dealer parts folks seem to be able to see some information like, "well, none in our store, and none in the West Coast warehouse. Looks like they will be available in x-many weeks." or "None here, but you might try XYZ location." Sometimes one can even order ahead to be fulfilled when the part comes back into stock.

I'm guessing something about the Mopar system doesn't allow this, but I'd love to hear about it if anyone has a better idea than calling dealers all over the place in the hopes I get lucky and someone has one on the shelf. TIA for any insight.

What part?

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/7/23 6:54 p.m.

What's the vehicle, part, and part number?

Knowing the type of part and vehicle  may make it easier to make suggestions. 

Ram Promaster passenger seat occupancy sensor. 68237026AA

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/7/23 9:33 p.m.

Can you get a used one from a junkyard?  Definitely the fastest option.  

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/7/23 9:57 p.m.

I had a similar issue with Kia parts last year when trying to order a set of TPMS sensors for the winter wheels on SWMBO Sportage. It took several months and very sporadic updates. 

If used isn't an option, I would go with an online source associated with a brick&mortar dealer. Not that it will make anything go faster, but at least you're working with someone with a physical address and phone number you can call. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/7/23 10:27 p.m.

It's a work project for customer vehicle, not for me, so used isn't really an option.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/7/23 10:40 p.m.

I can feel your pain.  I waited three months for intake manifold gaskets for a common-as-flies Ford 4.0L.  That was back in the peak of the pandemic, but things don't seem to be rebounding quickly.

Didn't really check shipping times, but it appears to be in stock here:  Mopar 68237026AA - Occupant Detection Sensor 2014-2022 Ram | AccessoryParts

freetors
freetors Reader
2/8/23 1:08 p.m.

I just recently tried to order a lower intake manifold and fuel injectors through one of those Mopar sites and had it cancelled too. Did some digging and found the oem parts being sold at summit racing of all places. And they were in stock too!

Thanks for the ideas! Curtis, I emailed the site you linked and they got back to me letting me know that the part is still a ways out from Mopar. I haven't heard back yet about the possibility of ordering now to be filled when available. freetors, I'll check Summit and see what I can find!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/8/23 2:49 p.m.

A neighbor of mine works in the parts department of a local Mopar dealership.  I'll shoot him the P/N and see what he can do.  Warning, though, I have talked shop with him quite a bit, and the Mopar parts network right now is enough, by itself, to put me off ever buying any Mopar product.  Lead times, availability, etc is all just atrocious.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/8/23 3:01 p.m.

Update: my neighbor says they have one.  PM me and we'll get you set up.  

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/8/23 10:16 p.m.

Thanks, all. As of midday today, I have a confirmed order that is supposed to be delivered next week. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yAsqlGvGN3RueJbjcxIMnNkaecCmmqrL0IiDI1FzipWzAaqUsaJILqlH510vwHwO