1 2 3 4 5
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/26/11 12:27 p.m.

I like side exit, but agree with the issues with the "conventional style." Definitely with lowered cars at least.

No clearance issues here, and it's pretty light. Exhaust, turbo, wastegate, manifold all combined are maybe.... 30lbs? At most?

Not long enough to try aluminum though, sadly.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
11/27/11 3:51 a.m.

I wish my car didn't have a big chunk of unibody in the way or I would do exactly what you're doing.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
11/30/11 6:47 p.m.
Rufledt wrote:
eyesoreracing wrote: Side exit just causes endless ground clearance problems. Been there on my 510 rally car. That exhaust was ripped out from under the car at least 4 times before I gave up and went out the back.
+1 to that. Hit a realy big speed bump, side exhaust gets pushed into rear tire and flattened. Hit a really deep pot hole, side exhaust scrapes ground and gets pushed into rear tire. Hit a giant Appalachian raccoon at 75 mph, side exhaust gets pushed into rear tire and covered in blood. Bad idea.

If this:

"Hit a giant Appalachian raccoon at 75 mph, side exhaust gets pushed into rear tire and covered in blood"

...doesn't make it's way into the print edition of the magazine, I don't know what should.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/30/11 9:21 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac how loud is that boomhole exhuast?

92CelicaHalfTrac
11/30/11 10:55 p.m.

It's not bad... It would pass SCCA Solo sound rules. It's the quietest car i own on the inside. (Not counting Jeep.) You can easily have a conversation inside it without raising your voice.

The turbo spool and wastegate noises can get a little loud, though.

I've been meaning to take video of it for quite some time. I'll have to get on that.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
12/1/11 8:57 a.m.

I am, oddly, I guess, totally in favor of side dumps. I had a few, but most were near the center of the car with a turndown. Skip the whole expensive and lossy part of the exhaust system and you don't have to worry about tips or other garbage. It was fun to note that the exhaust volume was reduced dramatically while driving over snow.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/1/11 11:17 a.m.

Well, I just found this thread, and I failed to read the entire thing, but I just noticed that Dave Coleman is a board member, and the OP in this thread. I just wanted to say that Dave, your work, both journalistically, and automotively, is...well...friggin awesome. Do I get any special prizes for mentioning "The Dave Spot"? Dont ask me to remember what exactly it is, but I remember it made a metric crap-ton of sense. I truly love me some GRM, but I truly miss me some SCC - the article series Suck,Squish, Bang, Blow saved my life (well not really, but I like the dramatic feel of that statement, so Im gonna run with it).

Im a member over at MotoIq, and love Miatabusa, G20 racecar, and the V8 RX7 project cars - I check in several times a week looking for updates.

I didnt come to value the logic based, objective mindedness of mags like GRM and SCC until years after I realized how much I loved cars - a steady diet of Tooner and Mo-duh-fied kept me nice and riced up - I didnt know there was anything else out there. I guess I hopped on the train a bit late, not getting into SCC and eventually GRM until maybe 4-5 years ago. I really did find some of SCCs projects and tests really well put together and very Grass-rootsy. Their project SE-r was pretty cool to watch. They also put together their best (and worst...which was hilarious) projects/articles of the last 10 years right at the end of their run - that was a fun read.

One of my favorite tests at SCC was a lateral G skidpad test of like 15 or so different vehicles. Everything from a retired F1 car to a shifter cart, a 911, a yaris and even a Caterpillar Frontloader that happened to be at the test site reparing the track (and it did quite well all things considered). One of the best lines from that article was something like "07 Toyota Yaris: understeering mess? yes. 07 Yaris with R compound rubber: Porche eating grip monster? Absolutely!" C'mon, thats just good stuff!

Anyway, this is bordering on creepy, so I will just say Dave, Im glad youre aboard here.

...you may now go about your regularly scheduled GRM-ing

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/1/11 11:21 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I like side exit, but agree with the issues with the "conventional style." Definitely with lowered cars at least. No clearance issues here, and it's pretty light. Exhaust, turbo, wastegate, manifold all combined are maybe.... 30lbs? At most? Not long enough to try aluminum though, sadly.

With the amount of weight you saved just by eliminating 6 feet of steel tube, Id bet youre still coming out ahead of aluminum. For streetability though, I wonder if theres any way at all to get some kind of muffler/resonator in there?

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/1/11 11:26 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I like side exit, but agree with the issues with the "conventional style." Definitely with lowered cars at least. No clearance issues here, and it's pretty light. Exhaust, turbo, wastegate, manifold all combined are maybe.... 30lbs? At most? Not long enough to try aluminum though, sadly.
With the amount of weight you saved just by eliminating 6 feet of steel tube, Id bet youre still coming out ahead of aluminum. For streetability though, I wonder if theres any way at all to get some kind of muffler/resonator in there?

I daily drive this thing, and i fail to see the problem.

I can honestly say that this exhaust probably saved every bit of 50lbs off this car. (The stock catback is still there, but will be removed in spring.) There were something like 2 resonators, a cat, and a HUGE muffler on this thing.

I can see if i can come up with a pic from the bay end. I bet a short resonator would work, or even just weld a Banks muffler into the end and have it poke out the bumper itself.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/1/11 11:45 a.m.

If you had to muffle it, you could do a stack of Supertrapp discs on an adaptor...just sayin'.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/1/11 12:32 p.m.

:)... when people talk about how much power you get with XYZ muffler... TURBO is the bestest muffler of em all... need more muffler... add a 2nd turbo ;-)

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
12/1/11 12:36 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Well, I just found this thread, and I failed to read the entire thing, but I just noticed that Dave Coleman is a board member, and the OP in this thread. I just wanted to say that Dave, your work, both journalistically, and automotively, is...well...friggin awesome. Do I get any special prizes for mentioning "The Dave Spot"? Dont ask me to remember what exactly it is, but I remember it made a metric crap-ton of sense. I truly love me some GRM, but I truly miss me some SCC - the article series *Suck,Squish, Bang, Blow* saved my life (well not really, but I like the dramatic feel of that statement, so Im gonna run with it). Im a member over at MotoIq, and love Miatabusa, G20 racecar, and the V8 RX7 project cars - I check in several times a week looking for updates. I didnt come to value the logic based, objective mindedness of mags like GRM and SCC until years after I realized how much I loved cars - a steady diet of Tooner and Mo-duh-fied kept me nice and riced up - I didnt know there was anything else out there. I guess I hopped on the train a bit late, not getting into SCC and eventually GRM until maybe 4-5 years ago. I really did find some of SCCs projects and tests really well put together and very Grass-rootsy. Their project SE-r was pretty cool to watch. They also put together their best (and worst...which was hilarious) projects/articles of the last 10 years right at the end of their run - that was a fun read. One of my favorite tests at SCC was a lateral G skidpad test of like 15 or so different vehicles. Everything from a retired F1 car to a shifter cart, a 911, a yaris and even a Caterpillar Frontloader that happened to be at the test site reparing the track (and it did quite well all things considered). One of the best lines from that article was something like "07 Toyota Yaris: *understeering mess?* yes. 07 Yaris with R compound rubber: *Porche eating grip monster?* Absolutely!" C'mon, thats just good stuff! Anyway, this is bordering on creepy, so I will just say Dave, Im glad youre aboard here. ...you may now go about your regularly scheduled GRM-ing

Yep, everything he said. I guess I'm glad I'm not the only fan-boi.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/1/11 1:00 p.m.

lol i'm also a big fan-boi of dave... picked up a big stash of old SCC so I can filter though them again... one thing about this that it points out is how GRM as long as i've known them has had a public face with it's people thanks to the forum... wonder what would have been had SCC done similar... then again they prob would have gotten annoyed with all the tooner rice boys...

e_pie
e_pie Reader
12/1/11 2:19 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: "Don't start with that "you need backpressure" horseE36 M3. It isn't true." You and me baby. One of these days we will correct this myth.
One of the best myths! Right along side "torque wins races" and the hub-centric wheel myth.

What is the hubcentric wheel myth? I don't think I've heard that one.

eyesoreracing
eyesoreracing New Reader
12/1/11 3:06 p.m.
donalson wrote: lol i'm also a big fan-boi of dave... picked up a big stash of old SCC so I can filter though them again... one thing about this that it points out is how GRM as long as i've known them has had a public face with it's people thanks to the forum... wonder what would have been had SCC done similar... then again they prob would have gotten annoyed with all the tooner rice boys...

Thanks for all the fanboi love, guys. It's always nice to know people remember what we did. Seems like so long ago...

GRM has a big advantage over SCC in that they aren't forced to serve some remote, Borg-like corporate overlords. They're a small independent company and everyone seems to get what they are doing and why. SCC was originally a spin-off of Truckin' Magazine, and our little four-man editorial staff constantly had to fight those who thought we should still be. The Borg bought too many tuner mags, tried to get every advertiser to buy ads in 15 different magazines, and finally pissed off the entire industry that was supposed to support them. When the ad revenue dried up, they protected the magazines that been obedient and would do the sloppy advertiser hand jobs, and killed the ones, like SCC, who had been a pain in their corporate asses.

Long live the GRMs and MotoIQs and the D-Sports that are independent enough to say what they want!

-Dave

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/1/11 3:48 p.m.
eyesoreracing wrote:
donalson wrote: lol i'm also a big fan-boi of dave... picked up a big stash of old SCC so I can filter though them again... one thing about this that it points out is how GRM as long as i've known them has had a public face with it's people thanks to the forum... wonder what would have been had SCC done similar... then again they prob would have gotten annoyed with all the tooner rice boys...
Thanks for all the fanboi love, guys. It's always nice to know people remember what we did. Seems like so long ago... GRM has a big advantage over SCC in that they aren't forced to serve some remote, Borg-like corporate overlords. They're a small independent company and everyone seems to get what they are doing and why. SCC was originally a spin-off of Truckin' Magazine, and our little four-man editorial staff constantly had to fight those who thought we should still be. The Borg bought too many tuner mags, tried to get every advertiser to buy ads in 15 different magazines, and finally pissed off the entire industry that was supposed to support them. When the ad revenue dried up, they protected the magazines that been obedient and would do the sloppy advertiser hand jobs, and killed the ones, like SCC, who had been a pain in their corporate asses. Long live the GRMs and MotoIQs and the D-Sports that are independent enough to say what they want! -Dave

What's sad is that the readers could see that writing on the wall, and ultimately saw when you guys basically folded your hand, which precipitated the nose dive. Oh well. Had a better run than most.

Good to see you here. Perhaps if you guys head east again, we'll have another epic battle. I was crew chief for the MX3 at the PBIR 24.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
12/1/11 3:58 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Pontiac tried aluminum exhaust manifolds in the early 60s, might have been on the Swiss Cheese cars. Worked for drag racing but they would start melting if you drove it on the street. Not one of the better ideas. Since they make heads out of aluminum, it should be possible to make aluminum exhaust that will hold up. I guess the next rage is titanium exhaust?

When I was living in Japan, the rich dudes were using Titanium cat backs with Inconel (!!!!) downpipes. Ever priced raw Inconel?

@ Dave- Glad to see you on the board!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/1/11 4:41 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Since they make heads out of aluminum, it should be possible to make aluminum exhaust that will hold up. I guess the next rage is titanium exhaust?

If you liquid cooled it. Or made it really big with a bunch of cooling fins.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/1/11 4:56 p.m.
eyesoreracing wrote:
Thanks for all the fanboi love, guys. It's always nice to know people remember what we did. Seems like so long ago... GRM has a big advantage over SCC in that they aren't forced to serve some remote, Borg-like corporate overlords. They're a small independent company and everyone seems to get what they are doing and why. SCC was originally a spin-off of Truckin' Magazine, and our little four-man editorial staff constantly had to fight those who thought we should still be. The Borg bought too many tuner mags, tried to get every advertiser to buy ads in 15 different magazines, and finally pissed off the entire industry that was supposed to support them. When the ad revenue dried up, they protected the magazines that been obedient and would do the sloppy advertiser hand jobs, and killed the ones, like SCC, who had been a pain in their corporate asses. Long live the GRMs and MotoIQs and the D-Sports that are independent enough to say what they want! -Dave

SCC was one of my favorite magazine up until it died. I still miss it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
12/1/11 5:03 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: SCC was one of my favorite magazine up until it died. I still miss it.

Dave's section was absolutely awesome, the rest of the magazine was kinda "meh".

Yay, dyno results for an $800 muffler on a $35,000 "sport compact"! 400 pages of ads!

I do love MotoIQ although do not read it enough. I found your article on free-building for Lemons quite enjoyable. I'm pretty sure Dave has my dream job.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/1/11 5:52 p.m.

ok just now reading the free-building bit... awesome :)

eyesoreracing
eyesoreracing New Reader
12/1/11 6:03 p.m.

Oh, well, just in case there's stuff you guys haven't found yet, here's the required reading list for fanbois:

http://www.motoiq.com/projects/project_mazda_frankenmiata.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/projects/project_mazda_miatabusa.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/features/motorsports/24_hours_of_lemons.aspx

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/1/11 6:57 p.m.

Now what was the Dave spot again?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/1/11 7:06 p.m.

The Dave Point is the point where the steering axis intersects the ground.

http://www.modified.com/editors/technobabble/9909scc_technobabble/index.html

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/1/11 8:15 p.m.

In reply to eyesoreracing:

I do like the turbo Lemons Miata. I had fun running against you guys down at the PBIR new years event. Had no hope running against you all in the turns and braking zones (13 inch Sumitomos and stock brakes) but were able to out run the car in the straights.

That 190ish rwhp dyno chart makes me feel better about the 302 in our turd brown "flyin duece" 83 RX-7. I imagine the Miata is a couple hundred pounds less than our 2500ish race weight so we are probably putting down a good 230 -250 rwhp in it.

I am interested aluminum exhaust but have nothing constructive to add.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pdDS3oxaaubywFpa3qWaLce1a7s2QtyYcJ3r7TZtXE1ztTUtEDWYxX31cmddLyRA