Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/12/22 12:21 p.m.

I don't want to speak to a manager or anything, just thought someone should know.

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
1/12/22 12:25 p.m.

I wonder if GRM magazines are like Hot Wheels and the errors are worth more?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/12/22 12:38 p.m.

Bring it to Daytona and I'll sign it for you.

Thanks for the pictures, though. I'll send these to the printer and see if they have any comments. Of course, I already know that their comment will be "We will continue to work strive to achieve the best quality production possible, but in this climate of uncertainty certain factors can mitigate even the best efforts of our quality control paradigm. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. End communication."

JG Pasterjak
1/12/22 12:39 p.m.

And is that the only mis-cut section, or are there others?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/12/22 1:11 p.m.

That's where the bonus material is hidden.

demnted
demnted New Reader
1/12/22 1:17 p.m.

NSFW section??

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
1/12/22 1:19 p.m.

I've had that happen before. In any large scale process, there will be errors, and that's probably not something the QA stuff can find 100% of the time.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
1/12/22 1:24 p.m.

I was fighting with mine at the dinner table last night, thought it arrived sticky.  Turns out the pages weren't cut cleanly, same as shown above.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/12/22 1:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

And is that the only mis-cut section, or are there others?

Two sections, both towards the first 50ish pages. I have already ripped them open to find the Golden Ticket. No luck.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
1/12/22 2:10 p.m.

Jerry, first your magazine is fubar'd - then your car gets whacked. Might want to hide inside for a bit man. 

wae
wae PowerDork
1/12/22 2:11 p.m.

Does your boss moonlight in a printing plant?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/22 2:58 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Jerry, first your magazine is fubar'd - then your car gets whacked. Might want to hide inside for a bit man. 

actually his garbage disposal started leaking first, so this being the third might make him ok now.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/12/22 3:17 p.m.

I keep all the magazines, so when I get one like that I'll take a really sharp knife or razor blades and carefully cut them open. If the cover gets torn in the post I'll tape it all back together so it can be filed neatly with the others. I might be a bit anal.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
1/12/22 4:45 p.m.

Wait, when did this place start printing a magazine?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/12/22 4:56 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

37? years ago or so, and we'd love to add you as a subscriber. Click the "Buy a Subscription" link at the top of this site to join the fun.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/12/22 5:11 p.m.

I'm in the same general region as Jerry and my magazine is fine, although there is part of a mangled subscription card in the same page as a complete subscription card this month.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/12/22 5:15 p.m.

What the berkeley.  

I gotta put up with this berkeleying bullE36 M3 when I get home tonight?  

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
1/12/22 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I used to run to the store to buy Auto-X and subscribed to GRM for a few years when I lived in Ohio. I may spring for a digital sub, I don't do paper anything unless I have to.

JG Pasterjak
1/12/22 5:25 p.m.

And, actually, as hard as paper is to get right now I'm not surprised they don't want to waste any more than they have to by cutting it as close as they can.

Like, it's really bad right now. Almost every issue that goes to press lately we get a call that we have to split up our run or print some on different paper or delay something or shift something around or just the "LOL it's gonna cost more this month" calls which are super fun. For us, where our print run is VERY consistent and rigorously scheduled, we're one of the luckier ones in the industry, and it still sucks hard even for us. For places that do stuff like catalogs, where theprint runs and schedules are highly variable, it's a living nightmare.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
1/12/22 5:30 p.m.

You guys seem a bit more torn up over the magazine thing than I'd expect.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/12/22 8:24 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

actually his garbage disposal started leaking first, so this being the third might make him ok now.

Yeah first the car, sat down with the magazine 2 minutes later.  On the plus side, FedEx tracking says new disposal tomorrow, which means hopefully by Saturday.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
1/13/22 7:16 a.m.

My pages were not cut properly.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/13/22 7:26 a.m.

I put the print copy's in a corner and then take them to the lake house every year and bing read them over my vacation. 

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
1/21/22 7:17 p.m.

What issues was this. Been watching the box since the first post, but nothing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lCzZzrhvr0GRbrJVQDKLSsMyQdqEcRSW55Og6E9Px5PYvhCVAwaXbnhDkSkCzyUY