1 2 3
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
12/22/21 5:48 p.m.
TGMF said:

In 30 or 40 years, nobodys gonna give a E36 M3 about any of Chevy's current lineup, save the Corvette.

And yet the best Camaro in history is being built now...

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
12/22/21 5:51 p.m.

My mom showed me that commercial. She made an off comment about wanting one of her old cars again but I had never seen any of them (long gone before I was born) and I only have photos of an old wrecked Polara. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
12/22/21 6:12 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

My wife has her Tahoe, that her first husband bought and had set up for when he was EMS and assistant chief in the local volunteer fire department. Shortly after, she finally lost him to cancer. One of her triggers is watching it slowly break down, just like he did. When things magically get better, she doesn't think that way. Granted, she does not like to wrench, but watching it wear out is hard enough that sometimes she doesn't want it at all.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/22/21 6:23 p.m.
TGMF said:

In 30 or 40 years, nobodys gonna give a E36 M3 about any of Chevy's current lineup, save the Corvette.

And truly, unless it's a corvette "fan"atic, they still won't!

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
12/22/21 6:42 p.m.

Cheap emotional shot vs. any sort of push for their new car lineup?

Seems right.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/22/21 6:54 p.m.
TGMF said:

Careful. Somebody's throwaway appliance is someone's dream car. Look at how we pine over Dodge Omnis, Chevy Malibus, and Mazda Proteges. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/22/21 7:04 p.m.

Hopefully the boy feels the same way about the FR-S and the Murdercycle, because those aren't going anywhere. And if he keeps them, maybe that way after I'm gone,  I get to live forever.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
12/22/21 8:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:
TGMF said:

Careful. Somebody throwaway appliance is someone's dream car. Look at how we pine over Dodge Omnis, Chevy Malabus, and Mazda Proteges. 

Alfred Morris getting his 626 restored comes to mind.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/22/21 9:50 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Seems right.

Budweiser has been doing basically the same thing with its Clydesdale Christmas ads for decades, and no one complains about them.  It's marketing 101.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
12/22/21 10:26 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

My wife has her Tahoe, that her first husband bought and had set up for when he was EMS and assistant chief in the local volunteer fire department. Shortly after, she finally lost him to cancer. One of her triggers is watching it slowly break down, just like he did. When things magically get better, she doesn't think that way. Granted, she does not like to wrench, but watching it wear out is hard enough that sometimes she doesn't want it at all.

I'm so sorry man. I wish you both the best with figuring this whole life and death thing out.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/23/21 9:05 a.m.

I clicked to watch it, saw it was a 4 minute long commercial and closed it. 

So no, they aren't manipulating me. Outside of wanting to go get a new Camaro SS 1LE. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/21 9:31 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Thank you for understanding, it's a strange set of emotions being attached to an object of theirs. I hope you're both doing well.  

johndej
johndej Dork
12/23/21 9:52 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Seems right.

Budweiser has been doing basically the same thing with its Clydesdale Christmas ads for decades, and no one complains about them.  It's marketing 101.

They just farmed it out to Hallmark and went in holiday early.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
12/23/21 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Thank you for that, but no worries. I was just pointing out one of the complexities of grief. Sometimes you want to carry on their work, sometimes you just want it to be like it was when they loved it. Sometimes when you see it, you see them.

12/23/21 1:48 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

They hadn't been brought up, but now that they have:

A Belgian company using cheap emotional manipulation for a product which otherwise offers very little to set itself apart from it's competition. Also, horses suck and I hate them.

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
12/23/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

They hadn't been brought up, but now that they have:

A Belgian company using cheap emotional manipulation for a product which otherwise offers very little to set itself apart from it's competition. Also, horses suck and I hate them.

Damn, are you regularly visited by three ghosts?

wink

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
12/24/21 11:14 a.m.

That was well done.  Good job GM.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/24/21 11:23 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

ugh

I was thinking EXACTLY about you when I watched this.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/24/21 2:31 p.m.

You're not crying... I'm crying.

12/24/21 3:54 p.m.
Karacticus said: Damn, are you regularly visited by three ghosts? wink

Nah, I respect the spirit of the multiple pagan and later Christian traditions that form the foundation for the U.S. Christmas celebration while simultaneously loathing what it has become today. 

If that Chevy commercial was a documentary, I'd be in tears because of how touching it was. As it is, I find it cheap and manipulative. I'm trying to teach my kids to recognize the difference, too.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/24/21 3:54 p.m.

I like the Real People ads better wink

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/24/21 4:38 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I clicked to watch it, saw it was a 4 minute long commercial and closed it. 

So no, they aren't manipulating me. Outside of wanting to go get a new Camaro SS 1LE. 

If you have the 1le, and track it, the motor is under warranty even if blown at a track day. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/24/21 4:41 p.m.
Karacticus said: Damn, are you regularly visited by three ghosts? wink

Nah, I respect the spirit of the multiple pagan and later Christian traditions that form the foundation for the U.S. Christmas celebration while simultaneously loathing what it has become today. 

If that Chevy commercial was a documentary, I'd be in tears because of how touching it was. As it is, I find it cheap and manipulative. I'm trying to teach my kids to recognize the difference, too.

I can't argue with your logic, everything you say makes sense. 
I assume you only watch documentary movies and read nonfiction. wink

12/24/21 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

It's so temping to take the bait! I'll just call the ad "targeted fiction with intent" instead. I consider that dangerous.

To everyone:
Happy Holidays, however you celebrate them.

Peace and goodwill to all.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/25/21 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Please forgive me for the snark, not usually my style here. Best wishes to you and all. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kqC8dQNTQN6NsMjHp2Bmq3w4wBB1crAbgcFcy7WgUHjvOLSZ5xbAxHCAPTq5KnNp