1 2 3
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/3/20 3:03 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/20 4:44 p.m.

The C6 and C7 don't really do anything for me like the C8 did. If it was just about having a fast car I'd sink the money into finishing my Monte Carlo, which I might do instead but the Corvette is very tempting.  

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/3/20 4:52 p.m.

I dd'd a Honda S2000 and it was worth it. Do it!!!

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/3/20 5:07 p.m.

Do it.... if you can, even if it means waiting until they are available or reasonable or both.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/3/20 5:17 p.m.

I wouldn't advise anybody to blow their wad on a new car, but the C8 is one hell of a deal.  I bet the depreciation won't be bad either.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/3/20 5:46 p.m.

Tire Rack has winter (snow?) tires - Michelin Sottozero 3.  A full set unmounted will run $1,850.00.

Pick these up in South Bend, Indiana and you get a $40 discount - a Corvette with snow tires?  Sweet.   

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/20 5:59 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Tire Rack has winter (snow?) tires - Michelin Sottozero 3.  A full set unmounted will run $1,850.00.

Pick these up in South Bend, Indiana and you get a $40 discount - a Corvette with snow tires?  Sweet.   

A former friend picked up an 84 and put old school steelies on it with whitewall snow tires for winter

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/20 6:12 p.m.

Old pilot adage: Never fly the A model of anything. 

Do it.

I'm pushing 5 years on the FR-S and I'm still in love with it. That was my midlife car.

Do it.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/3/20 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

True love is supporting one another's horrible decisions. And I love you.

That said...sitting in one and driving/getting in and out of one + 80 mile commute are not the same things.

I "fit" comfortably in a C7. After a weekend driving one, there's no way in hell I'd shell out the coin for one. It was coffin-like on the highway, lane changes scared the E36 M3 out of me, and transmission kept overheating on track.

My $.02 YMMV.

What are V3's going for these days?

D2W
D2W Dork
8/3/20 6:44 p.m.

I'm guess I'm missing the point. I don't think daily driving the C8 is any big deal at all. Sure it's a mid-engine supercar, but its not a bugatti worth a million. Buy it, drive it like any other corvette ever made. That's what is great about it, and why what Chevy has done is such a big deal.

If you do decide you can't handle commuting in a sports car, sell it. I doubt you'll lose much.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/3/20 6:49 p.m.

Buy the C8  and I'll personally buy you a pair of white New Balance. I'm leaving the jorts to someone else. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/3/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

If I drive it daily it will probably never see much track time. I would like to get to see th one for a little while to see how bad traffic is since I see a lot of it. 

In reply to D2W :

If I can get it I'm likely not going to have a pile of extra money to pour into it.  My main concern is that I don't want to get stuck at 3am on the way to work or be the one that finds out something expensive and tough to replace disintegrates every 40,000 miles. It is bad enough to be looking at two sets of tires a year.  

I called my mom today for an insurance quote. She said she thought I was going to end up doing something dumb and was relieved as buying a toy was at the mild end of bad ideas. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/3/20 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I already have New Balances. When you turn 45 a pair shows up on your porch. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/3/20 7:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Buy the C8  and I'll personally buy you a pair of white New Balance. I'm leaving the jorts to someone else. 

I'll send him the Jorts, free of charge.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
8/3/20 7:29 p.m.
D2W said:

I'm guess I'm missing the point. I don't think daily driving the C8 is any big deal at all. Sure it's a mid-engine supercar, but its not a bugatti worth a million. Buy it, drive it like any other corvette ever made. That's what is great about it, and why what Chevy has done is such a big deal.

If you do decide you can't handle commuting in a sports car, sell it. I doubt you'll lose much.

Still not a supercar. But generally I agree. It's a gm product with the engine in the right place. It's got an auto trans and is designed for old guys to drive to golf in. I can't imagine it would be worse at daily driving than any other commuter car candidate would be. Maybe spring for the magneride if you're that concerned about it. With all that low end torque and eight gears it's probably even about as fuel efficient as most other options, provided you can drive it like a responsible adult.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/20 10:39 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

BERK!  I've only got 3 and a half years. BERK!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/4/20 2:47 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

If we order a pair before we turn 40, does it break the matrix?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/4/20 3:04 a.m.

Wally get the car. If you don't  like it in a year or two  someone else will want it. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
8/4/20 8:50 a.m.

Cleetus' c8 was getting 27.5 mpg at 80mph average on the highway from his new video.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/4/20 11:15 a.m.

Don't really have an alternative but....  After having owned a C4, my rickety old bones and fat posterior got tired of "falling in, and crawling out".  The new Vette may be different, never seen one yet.  YMMV.  That said, it would certainly bring a lot of smiles per mile.  Mine did.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 11:58 a.m.

put me firmly in the "DO IT" camp.  live the dream, my brother.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 12:53 p.m.
Mndsm said:

What the hell is wrong with white  new balance sneakers and jorts? This summer i discovered both, and they rock!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/20 1:03 p.m.

no jorts for me, but i've run several thousand miles in New Balance.  they are my go-to brand.  then again, i'm 53.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/4/20 2:12 p.m.

A couple of years back I turned away from NB as I thought there quality had taken a dive.  Now at 53 I am a loyalist to Asics.  Still say no to jorts.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/4/20 2:13 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

What the hell is wrong with white  new balance sneakers and jorts? This summer i discovered both, and they rock!

I wore both of them in high school.

OK, I am getting pretty close to 45 now. So maybe it's generational rather than age.

Back to the original topic - Corvettes are typically designed with a "If the buyer has no kids, can it be the buyer's only means of transportation?" in mind, at least since the C4. A mid engined one may have a bit less cargo room, but they've typically been rather practical as long as you can overlook entrance and exit. I remember getting some rather weird looks hauling a bunch of garbage to the dump in the back of a C4 Corvette - but it would tote around a big trash can no problem.

Having just kept a GM car until it was old enough to buy beer, I'd say you might as well go for it if you can afford it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vYj8L0UBYXsOoPBOif9BDjI8DwtBCVvhDvgELvJH9bcj5x4lZAJpIWhleZPRnhjS