SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/13/14 1:44 p.m.

I was looking at their site last night and their welders that will work on 120V and are set up for gas, seem to be reasonably priced.

Anyone have one? Are they descent?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild HalfDork
11/13/14 1:47 p.m.

Just bought one but haven't gotten the chance to use it yet. Hopefully will get to before turkey day.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
11/13/14 1:48 p.m.

I have one. I haven't used it a whole lot but it does stick metal together despite my lack of skill and practice. Quality seems decent but I haven't played with any other welders for comparison.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/13/14 1:48 p.m.

Was scared of the no-name rebranded stuff and got a Hobart, since, being a Miller line, is very easy for support. Have not been disappointed and I have used it A LOT.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
11/13/14 2:25 p.m.

Traded my Miller 135 (110V) for an Eastwood 175 (220V) and I'm very happy. While at first glance it seems of a slightly lower quality, it isn't much. And functionally, I have nothing bad to say about it. In fact, it seems to keep it's settings better then my Miller. Will it last as long as a Miller? Don't know, but since I was always maxing out my Miller, it could very well.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
11/13/14 2:26 p.m.

I've got one. I've been very pleased with it. Mostly welding sheet metal. I've done some thicker stuff, but not a lot. I like the infinitely variable power vs. the Hobart, but I've yet to hear of anyone that has been disappointed with a Hobart or an Eastwood. Just remember it will cost another couple hundred to get a gas bottle and I wouldn't weld without one.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/13/14 7:08 p.m.

I have one of the 135 amp 110v ones, and have made 4 roll cages with it so far. It hasn't given me one single problem and lays down a nice bead on anything from sheet to 3/16" plate. It was just about as good to use as a Hobart 220v I used for another cage. Eastwood HQ is local too if I ever need any support.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
11/13/14 7:15 p.m.

Don't have the MIG but have the Eastwood TIG 200. Only issue so far is my own lack of experience using it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/13/14 7:17 p.m.

I sold an Eastwood TIG to chevetteturbo and he loves it. That being said when I bought my MIG welder I shopped around and got a Miller on eBay for half the price of what the local stores were getting. New in the box. More than a Hobart/Lincoln but you CAN tell the difference. This was like 10 years ago so do your research. Even though I sell Cornwell for a living, I've always been a Miller man.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/13/14 7:19 p.m.

This goes back about ten years, but I was going to buy an Eastwood and I took their catalog to Tec-Air (welding supply place). The guy there said that the Eastwoods were just rebadged Lincolns. I ended up buying a Lincoln SP-135 Plus, which is probably the equivalent of the Eastwood MIG 135. The Eastwood kit had some extras that I didn't want anyway, and I was able to put together a better package tailored to my needs for less money and I didn't have to worry about anything getting damaged in shipping.

I love my welder.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
11/13/14 8:18 p.m.

I just bought the Eastwood 135 and have used it for mostly just practice so far, so far so good! I am starting to build myself a cart for the welder with it. I got a 40 cu ft tank of the 75% argon 25% c02 for $120 at my local welding store.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
11/13/14 8:43 p.m.

I don't own an Eastwood MIG, but I did come across a coupon code that reduces the cost from $279 to 199.

Courtesy the garage journal -- http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267389

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/13/14 8:50 p.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi:

Nice! But unfortunately by the time I could get one that would probably be over.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/14/14 7:02 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: I've always been a Miller man.

me too … but that would be Miller Lite ...

sorry guys … back to the welding

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
11/14/14 8:28 a.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: I don't own an Eastwood MIG, but I did come across a coupon code that reduces the cost from $279 to 199. Courtesy the garage journal -- http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267389

Thanks for the coupon, I might just have to pick one of these up!

Quick question, I already have a cylinder of pure argon for TIG. Any reason I can't use the same shielding gas/tank with the MIG welder as well? Internet seems to indicate that it's more common to use an argon/CO2 combination.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
11/14/14 10:55 a.m.

this thread is relevant to my Christmas wish list.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
11/14/14 11:00 a.m.
Armitage wrote:
mikeatrpi wrote: I don't own an Eastwood MIG, but I did come across a coupon code that reduces the cost from $279 to 199. Courtesy the garage journal -- http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267389
Thanks for the coupon, I might just have to pick one of these up! Quick question, I already have a cylinder of pure argon for TIG. Any reason I can't use the same shielding gas/tank with the MIG welder as well? Internet seems to indicate that it's more common to use an argon/CO2 combination.

You won't be happy with your results, but you can use straight Argon. Keep the Argon tank for the TIG, and get another 75/25 tank for the MIG.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
11/14/14 2:20 p.m.

I have an Eastwood 135, but still haven't used it as a MIG. Santa still hasn't left a bottle of C25.
Even with flux core and no experience, it's nice to be able to stick metal together.

ZacAutox
ZacAutox New Reader
11/14/14 8:14 p.m.

I picked up my Eastwood 135 over a year ago. I've used it a for few projects, body work, exhaust work, etc. Been very happy with it.

Its on sale on Eastwood's website right now, but you can almost always get it for $299 with free shipping on their ebay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-MIG-Welder-110VAC-135-amp-Output-Welding-/231377011859

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
4/12/19 9:39 a.m.

I figured i would resurrect this thread to see how the Eastwood welders have held up for you guys long term. I am bidding on one thats on a local online auction and im not sure how high to go with it.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/12/19 9:44 a.m.

My Eastwood 135 has been fine, although so far I haven't used it a ton (even though I've had it for a couple of years).  And I've only run flux core through it.  A friend locally has one as well that he's used with gas with good results.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/12/19 9:49 a.m.

I've had mine since probably 2010. Was able to get a new hose and gun for it last year at an eastwood store (they even were able to sell me a USED one for cheaper!) since I lent it out and it got damaged. 

I've run both flux and mig, but I'm certainly not a 'heavy user'. It's been great for me. 

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
4/12/19 11:29 a.m.

I've had mine for 5 years now.

I'm a pretty intense user and I've had my first problem with it last year when it suddenly just stop. Opened it up and saw that one of the power cables was touching a plastic shroud which caused a local hot spot which led to the cable braking. I don't know if that was bad assembly or did the cable move during one of the welders multiple moves. I relocated the cable away from the plastic, crimped it back together and it was back to working flawlessly. Took about 10-15 minutes to repair. I must admit that it freaked me out before I opened the case though.

I'm still happy with my purchase.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/12/19 11:36 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

I figured i would resurrect this thread to see how the Eastwood welders have held up for you guys long term. I am bidding on one thats on a local online auction and im not sure how high to go with it.

They are still in the $230-280 range new, depending on if there's a sale or not, so I wouldn't go much over $100 for a used one.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
4/12/19 11:38 a.m.

I have an Eastwood 175 Mig. I've had an issue with post weld gas continuing to flow even after the gun's switch was let go. They sent another gun, which worked for a while. I'm thinking  about two months' later, the issue was back.

While I can still use the welder, i'll have to shut it off every once in a while  to stop the post-flow issue.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUBMNjrQYppsR9vvbT90iRxYuqgt2rgM8UrMI9Xz3u7Eka0pjc9BvLR7Vyz3hxYK