Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/18/21 4:43 p.m.

I'm working on a Honda that has very limited aftermarket support and it needs struts for sure. Since I like lowered stuff I have been researching options. My application doesn't even offer much in the way of aftermarket struts whatsoever besides some cheesy Gabriels and generic white box stuff. So I figured to step up another level and look into aftermarket coilvoers. All I can really find is Tein and BC Racing options.

So, TLDR, I don't want cheap ass generic stock replacements, so can anyone speak one way or the other for Tein or BC Racing coilovers ? There are no reputable lowering spring options or replacement struts options otherwise.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/18/21 4:50 p.m.

Let me guess, torsion bar car? I'd love to know more about the Tein setup but I have never heard a report from anyone I trust. I am less confident that much time was spent on the specific BC application. 

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
4/18/21 4:53 p.m.

I'd go BC coil overs, because they can be revalved to be motorsports grade.

https://store.redshiftmotorsports.com/RedShiftCompCoilovers-s/147.htm

4/18/21 5:06 p.m.

The application is Honda Element. Possibly the greatest car ever assembled, but esoteric enough that parts support is poor. My previous Element I stepped up and bought new OEM Honda struts. They are NLA now though so that's off the table for this car.

My most recent Honda, a Civic, I just grabbed some new KYB struts and a set of Eibach springs and I was happy. This application doesn't have either the KYB or Eibach options at all. And, no, CRV or other similar Hondas do not interchange. Element only. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/18/21 5:10 p.m.

I would harass the Koni guys mercilessly because Elements have that huge following. It doesn't work for a first gen CRX because nobody wants to pay more than $12.99 for parts. But Elements? There would be a market. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/18/21 6:48 p.m.

KYB and Sachs both show Element shocks. I've used both brands in the past and had no complaints, but my applications weren't a Honda Element.

4/18/21 6:53 p.m.

If you can show me a KYB or Sachs strut for the front on my Element I'd be glad to see it. I cannot find a part number or mention of one at any place. All there is are Gabriels.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/18/21 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm looking at the Autozone website and it shows KYB  331046 and 331047 as front struts for 2wd and 4wd Honda Elements

Edit: O'Reillly site says those numbers are NOT for the Element, so I'm not sure now.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
4/18/21 8:07 p.m.

I had Teins on my MR2 when I bought it, they were the green ones so not sure which version they are. Were adjustable with an Allen on top.  They were very nice on the MR2. 

My '76 CVCC has BCR's because they made custom units just for the CVCC so it was all that was available performance wise. They are very nice & adjustable with a knob instead of an Allen wrench. 

4/18/21 8:21 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I'm looking at the Autozone website and it shows KYB  331046 and 331047 as front struts for 2wd and 4wd Honda Elements

Those fit early Elements, 2003 through 2006. I've searched quite diligently with no success for the 2011 Element application. It's an uncommon car and I'm suffering the hassle of poor parts supply.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/18/21 8:24 p.m.

I just double checked by putting the same numbers into the O'Reilly site and they agree they DO NOT fit. Sorry.  I wonder what the difference is? Could they be adapted?

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
4/18/21 8:26 p.m.

I've had several different coilover setups under my car, the Redshift revalved BCs are nothing short of amazing. Hitting curbs at 90mph on 450lb springs (on a 2400lb w driver car, 0.97:1 motion ratios at all 4 corners) and not upsetting the car whatsoever is pretty awesome.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/18/21 9:33 p.m.

I literally just installed BC Racing DS series today, a good bit cheaper than the Redshift stuff. 

They ride firm on my Fit with 12k/12k springs, but they're extremely well behaved... I look forward to putting laps on them on track and they'll see a billion street miles since my Fit is my DD.

I see the BR series is the only thing available for your Element. What I found out was the softer settings of both DS and BR dampers is very similar blowoff valving for street use.

they're probably still going to be firm.. so just be aware of it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EJMzjCiaAaZEQ0f9VeQjF1UaFxW2h0eJoGamZOCtJt9UdbZUizNTey0V12FC9vmL