itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
1/13/16 2:21 p.m.

I have a few holes developing in my car seats and I'm thinking of having them recovered instead of slapping generic covers on them. Has anyone done this? What should I expect cost wise for a redo with good cloth? And has anyone used a shop near Atlanta they would recommend?

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
1/13/16 2:22 p.m.

I had a vehicle stolen once and they recovered the entire car.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
1/13/16 2:30 p.m.

Not exactly what I was searching for.

And where do you live that you get the whole car back. Mine wasn't even a roller....

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/13/16 2:31 p.m.

My dad used Allen's upholstery in Monroe, GA. They did a great job on his '53 Mercury front seat, which needed the foam replaced and springs repaired.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
1/13/16 2:35 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild:

this will be shocking to hear, but Baltimore, MD. It probably helps that I'm quite good friends with a former police commissioner. the resources used in locating it weren't typical.

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs Reader
1/13/16 2:44 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: My dad used Allen's upholstery in Monroe, GA. They did a great job on his '53 Mercury front seat, which needed the foam replaced and springs repaired.

Someone must live awfully close to me.........I think I used Allens' when they were still on Hwy 138 maybe 10 years ago.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/13/16 3:50 p.m.

Might be close, I'm near Walnut Grove, Dad is in Loganville.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
1/13/16 5:34 p.m.

What kind of seats? Reconstructing a complicated modern bucket seat pattern is a lot different from doing pleats on a bench.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/13/16 5:58 p.m.

I have had the lower part of a drivers bucket seat in 2000 Era chevy done far around $250. Not in Atlanta though

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
1/13/16 8:08 p.m.

What kind of car? I put Katzkins in my Miata, for less than half what a shop wanted. Had them for years and love them.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/13/16 8:43 p.m.

LeBaron Bonney makes wonderful covers that hog ring in place. It's more like slip on reupholstery than a cover. Most can't tell the difference between them and an actual recover job.

I was quoted 600 for two buckets and a console at my local upholstery shop.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
1/14/16 8:17 a.m.

It's for a 1987 bmw e30. Seats are stupid simple and even have plastic backs. The wildcard is I'd like to add seat warming to them and that works a lot better removing everything down to the foam. I can probably reuse the foam if I want to but for the seat bottoms of just assume change it to remove 20 years of other people's heinies from my environment. Honestly 650 doesn't sound too bad for that.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/14/16 8:42 a.m.

If youre not dailying the car, its mot tough for a good upholstery shop to take the existing seat covers off, rip the seams without tearing the fabric, and templating off that.

I used to work for a company who was in a very similar field (furniture makers), and was |----| this close to pulling the trigger on new seats (and a headliner) for my Infiniti G20, but ended up trading it in when I got an offer at a better company, and needed a more reliable car up to the task of some traveling for business. The designers said that if I had the seat covers for them, it would take them all of an afternoon to get the templates made. It would take the sewers another afternoon each to sew the seat...easily done inside a week. A versed upholstery shop should be able to at least replicate that timeline.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
1/14/16 8:48 a.m.

The labor when I had the D's seats redone was about $250 at a small local shop including installing (though I provided them so they weren't included in the cost) seat heaters; the replacement leather covers were about $1k. That was for two front bucket seats, relatively simple design, and didn't require any foam work that I know of. If you ever need any upholstery work done in Lexington, KY I'll happily give you their number.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JMZS8dVDrVTpO8TjEPYTCgOuQcez9lhmXIFSN4Fnd7cZlZNdfrKQGAkRMP7VWSel