1 2 3
carbon
carbon HalfDork
1/10/14 6:42 p.m.

Two things, 1) cross shop the lx570/landcruiser, same driveline, sometimes same $ used and wicked nice 2) Whatever you do, a trd supercharger on a I force 5.7 would be hilarious (504hp/ 550lb ft/ 0-60 4.7/ 13.5 second 1/4 mile In a Tundra)

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/10/14 6:46 p.m.

Thanks for all the good info!

The main reason for looking at the top trim models is from what I've read that's the only way to get the 5.7, is that true?

I'm definitely willing to go 4 hours south for one if it means a better deal.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/10/14 7:09 p.m.

No, almost all 08+ Sequoias are 5.7L, in all trim levels, even fleet and rental ones I've seen for sale. Hardly any were sold with the "standard" 4.7. Pretty sure most dealers just ordered the 5.7, so that's what people bought. I've been looking withint 250 miles for the last 2 weeks and have yet to see one with a 4.7. All 5.7s.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/10/14 7:14 p.m.
carbon wrote: Two things, 1) cross shop the lx570/landcruiser, same driveline, sometimes same $ used and wicked nice 2) Whatever you do, a trd supercharger on a I force 5.7 would be hilarious (504hp/ 550lb ft/ 0-60 4.7/ 13.5 second 1/4 mile In a Tundra)

in my searches, the CHEAPEST high-miles 5.7L LX570/Landcruiser was about $10k more than the most expensive low-miles Sequoias from the same year. If you can find one at all. Within 200 miles of DC there is one Landcruiser and no LX570 listed anywhere that I"ve seen.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/10/14 7:22 p.m.

I know that they respond well to the TRD supercharger, and you can sleep on an air mattress in the back while watching DVD's.

And they drift surprisingly well. And will smoke an S2K. And a heavily modified turbo Eclipse. From the comfort of your enormous, comfy, heated leather seat. With a cold beverage in the "secret" cupholder.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/10/14 7:25 p.m.

^That.

To get a Landcruiser below $30k means the previous gen and at least 120k miles. The 08+ are awesome, but seem to be $40+ vs upper $20k's

For instance, a new Sequoia starts in the low 40s, a new Landcruiser starts at $80k. The Landcruiser is a hell of a vehicle, but I don't have that kind of change.

Really I wanted to keep a tow rig in the $20-22k range, but it seems another $5-6k for a Sequoia is just so much more vehicle with much more towing capacity, etc.

I've just got to go spend some real time in one to see if I can really deal with driving a vehicle that large on a daily basis.

Thankfully the wife has a Mazda 3 for when we don't want to drive a gas hog that takes up every bit of a parking spot.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/10/14 7:27 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I know that they respond well to the TRD supercharger, and you can sleep on an air mattress in the back while watching DVD's. And they drift surprisingly well. And will smoke an S2K. And a heavily modified turbo Eclipse. From the comfort of your enormous, comfy, heated leather seat. With a cold beverage in the "secret" cupholder.

What I read about the TUndra with the S/C was even better than at the top of page. 4.4 0-60 and 13 flat in the 1/4........that's Coyote Mustang quick, which is just completely insane to me. Those are the times I saw in a Motor Trend test, for whatever that is worth.

Another big bonus, even though it's my money, the wife at least from a looks/amenities standpoint MUCH prefers the Sequoia.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/10/14 7:29 p.m.
I've just got to go spend some real time in one to see if I can really deal with driving a vehicle that large on a daily basis.

Ever sat on a really comfy leather couch? I've always been a small car guy. I'm becoming a big car guy (though I, myself, am getting smaller.)

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/10/14 7:37 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Ever sat on a really comfy leather couch? I've always been a small car guy. I'm becoming a big car guy (though I, myself, am getting smaller.)

It's just I've driven some friends 08+ Chevy crew cab's and they are HUGE. I suspect the Sequoia is the same. I suspect it's a matter of comfort with what you are driving as well. They are nice, but damn are the big to maneuver around when you are used to smaller stuff.

Previous vehicles are my DD NC miata, Speed 3, Frontier, 350Z, Z34 Monte Carlo......also the MPG hit. But I got a raise and my health insurance went down, also about to pay off a big chunk of debt.

The other thing is I need to set a realistic budget for tires/maintenance/fuel, while also accounting for travel and 7-8 track weekends per year.

But the Sequoia continues to look more and more what I really want. Especially considering we are going to stop with the fancy Caribbean vacations we've been taking for years, and start doing a road trips in the US instead.

And we need space for when we visit places like Nashville, to bring back stuff we can't get here (beer/booze).

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/10/14 7:38 p.m.

Also in college, I had an '88 Lincoln Town Car that we took to Houston for a bowl game............talk about an insanely comfy leather couch. Damn.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/10/14 7:46 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
It's just I've driven some friends 08+ Chevy crew cab's and they are HUGE. I suspect the Sequoia is the same. I suspect it's a matter of comfort with what you are driving as well. They are nice, but damn are the big to maneuver around when you are used to smaller stuff. Previous vehicles are my DD NC miata, Speed 3, Frontier, 350Z, Z34 Monte Carlo......also the MPG hit. But I got a raise and my health insurance went down, also about to pay off a big chunk of debt. The other thing is I need to set a realistic budget for tires/maintenance/fuel, while also accounting for travel and 7-8 track weekends per year. But the Sequoia continues to look more and more what I really want. Especially considering we are going to stop with the fancy Caribbean vacations we've been taking for years, and start doing a road trips in the US instead. And we need space for when we visit places like Nashville, to bring back stuff we can't get here (beer/booze).

true. My wife went from a Mazda3 to the 4Runner, so I'm hoping that since she didn't have an issue with that big size upgrade, she'll be ok going from a 4Runner to Sequoia...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/10/14 8:00 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I know that they respond well to the TRD supercharger, and you can sleep on an air mattress in the back while watching DVD's. And they drift surprisingly well. And will smoke an S2K. And a heavily modified turbo Eclipse. From the comfort of your enormous, comfy, heated leather seat. With a cold beverage in the "secret" cupholder.
What I read about the TUndra with the S/C was even better than at the top of page. 4.4 0-60 and 13 flat in the 1/4........that's Coyote Mustang quick, which is just completely insane to me. Those are the times I saw in a Motor Trend test, for whatever that is worth. Another big bonus, even though it's my money, the wife at least from a looks/amenities standpoint MUCH prefers the Sequoia.

I keep begging my brother to take his to the track (with me driving, of course.) I swear it's in the 12's, and he doesn't believe me. The V is somewhere in the 13's. It is faster than the V.

Worth a "loser buys dinner" bet. I'm also trying to convince him to do one-lap in it before the warranty runs out.

To the OP: Seriously. Drive one. Huge on the inside. berkeleying_huge. I've driven my brother's a bunch, and I have a harder time parking the V. It honestly handles surprisingly well too.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/10/14 8:17 p.m.

Dammit poop, I'm the OP!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/10/14 8:42 p.m.

I hate that there's so many awesome SUVs available these days.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/10/14 9:00 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Dammit poop, I'm the OP!

I think I"m confusing him since I basically posted this same thread last week, lol.

Poop, I"m having a brain freeze.....what is "the V"?

EDIT: CTS-V, duh...

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/11/14 10:43 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I hate that there's so many awesome SUVs available these days.

Having choice is a great thing....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/11/14 11:23 a.m.

I dont want to pay for any of them but it's starting to look inevitable.

Chipperb
Chipperb New Reader
1/11/14 11:42 a.m.

I have had 3 Tundras and:1. bought the second one for a big business tax break and 2. Bought then third one because of side airbags. The last is a crew cab. I tow boats, race cars and my enclosed kart trailer.

I love Tundras. Comfortable work horse. I call it my urban assault vehicle driving in Atlanta traffic.

Go to Tundra Solutions for forums on all Touotas

Mileage sucks but I have installed a real time fuel mileage indicator into the diagnostic port and it helps keep my foot out of the throttle.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/11/14 3:23 p.m.

So I drove a 2008 4Runner Sport V6. Comfy, rides well, the V6 is surprisingly punchy! If I goes this route I still think I'd prefer a Limited, I know swapping on the Sport brakes is cake.

2011 Sequoia SR5....base model essentially but with the 5.7. I was.....underwhelmed. I didn't think it rode that well for having IRS, there is big gap between the 3rd and 2nd row seats when laid down that would make sleeping awkward. I wonder if the suspensions on the higher end models ride better?

2013 Tundra Limited. This was the first vehicle I drove the this dealership didn't have the other two vehicles. Crew Max, 4x4, Loaded..........holy mother of jebus that is a nice truck. Drives great too. I suspect I could pull my house over with it. I'd have to go back to an 08-10 with higher mileage to get one......it definitely has me thinking though.

I wanted to like the Sequoia, perhaps its not fair since I didn't drive one equally equipped to the other two vehicles.

But driving them all finally confirmed my suspicion. I'd rather drive a 4Runner everyday and be able to tow with the Tundra. The Tundra is just such a big damn vehicle. Ugh.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/11/14 3:25 p.m.

As you can see, I'm having a very hard time making this decision.

I've had so many vehicles over the last few years, I'd really just like to buy a nice DD/tow rig and keep it for a while. I'm just afraid of being 1 year down the road thinking "Should have gotten a bigger vehicle."

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/11/14 10:19 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: there is big gap between the 3rd and 2nd row seats when laid down that would make sleeping awkward.

something makes me think that wasn't a concern of Toyota for a $50k SUV. They probably figured people who could afford it, could afford a hotel room

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/11/14 10:23 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: As you can see, I'm having a very hard time making this decision. I've had so many vehicles over the last few years, I'd really just like to buy a nice DD/tow rig and keep it for a while. I'm just afraid of being 1 year down the road thinking "Should have gotten a bigger vehicle."

I love the 4Runner, don't get me wrong. It drives great, rides great, is a competent tow rig (even with the V6), and has been fault-free. But it's major flaw is indeed that it isn't very big inside. Really it's hardly any bigger than any 4-door hatchback car, or so it seems. But, you can always get a roof cargo box if you end up needing more space for cargo. I'll also note that the backseat isn't very comfortable for long trips for taller adults, mostly due to the low seat height off the floor.

As a vehicle where it's usually a 2-person trip with gear, it's great. If you plan to take your race team in one vehicle, it's gonna get too small real quick.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/11/14 11:04 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

My bad, y0! buy Sequoia. Add supahchagah. Enjoy. Namaste.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
1/11/14 11:50 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
What I read about the TUndra with the S/C was even better than at the top of page. 4.4 0-60 and 13 flat in the 1/4........that's Coyote Mustang quick, which is just completely insane to me. Those are the times I saw in a Motor Trend test, for whatever that is worth. Another big bonus, even though it's my money, the wife at least from a looks/amenities standpoint MUCH prefers the Sequoia.
I keep begging my brother to take his to the track (with me driving, of course.) I swear it's in the 12's, and he doesn't believe me. The V is somewhere in the 13's. It is faster than the V. Worth a "loser buys dinner" bet. I'm also trying to convince him to do one-lap in it before the warranty runs out. To the OP: Seriously. Drive one. Huge on the inside. berkeleying_huge. I've driven my brother's a bunch, and I have a harder time parking the V. It honestly handles surprisingly well too.

I giggled at how fast it was pulling a trailer through Gainesville.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/12/14 8:24 a.m.

Gave it a lot of thought last night, it makes sense to go with the 4Runner.

A nice Sequoia/Tundra forces a budget increase of 50%, which is just money that gets taken away from the track budget. Road trips will only ever be my wife and I, and trips to the track will usually be just me, or possibly one other person.

Thanks for the help gents, now to try to get the NC sold and find a nice 4Runner.

Unfortunately it's looking like I'm going to need to buy a 4Runner then try to sell the Miata myself. A quick guesstimate from once dealership yesterday on what they would for trade was unacceptably low based on retail value and I suspect any other dealer will have the same thought.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DXW8DHIbzEOFnuVO6xiEgFOVmemjfOrEYFcE8QlV3F4a62gPTscAdVeVvBkkzrXd