slefain
slefain Dork
7/20/09 11:37 a.m.

My seething hatred towards my Passat is steadily growing. I have vowed to finally own a car built within the last decade. The V70 and V40 Volvos seem pretty darn close in physical size, and neither one is drastically sized different from the Passat B4. I can't seem to find too much about the V40 online. Most I find is for the Euro versions. The specs don't read out too bad, 160/172 hp/tq and 2767 lbs. I found one company with a computer tuning service that claims 200hp. Interior doesn't look too bad on well optioned cars. The price is right there with the V70 on the used market, but gas mpg is so much better.

So any opinions? I won't be buying one any time soon as they seem to be kinda rare in the Atlanta area.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/20/09 11:51 a.m.

The V40 is the wagon variant of the S40. The V70 is the wagon variant of the S60.

They don't look it, but the 70 is quite a bit bigger.

Hard (nearly impossible) to find with a stick.

No way it weighs 2700. My S40 is more like 3200, as I recall.

Both the S40 and V40 are built on the same platform as the Mazda3, but have different engines and some suspension differences. I like the Volvo's handling better than the Mazda3s I drove, but I don't know if I've driven a GOOD Mazda3.

For whatever it's worth, I think my S40 is a fantastic family car.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
7/20/09 12:04 p.m.

The current generation S/V40 is based on the Mazda3. The previous generation is based on an old Mitsubishi iirc. I like the current generation. The old ones not so much.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/20/09 12:19 p.m.

Yes. The older generation had problems. I would stay away.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
7/20/09 12:22 p.m.

Lots of NA 5 speed v70s cheap. Tough as nails, and they will swallow mountains of stuff. The NA 5 banger in the v70 makes the same power as the 1.9 turbo and there are a bazillion 850's and v70s (v70 is a 850 wagon with a facelift and revisions) in junk yards to pull parts from. I personally would go with a low miles v70 for the same money as a v40. People get 22-23 mpg in NA v70s city, 28-30 Hwy. Turbo variants drop down to 18-23 ish combined depending on right foot. A High Pressure turbo slush box v70 t5 will run 14's with a 50$ manual boost control if wearing out front tires and surprising people with the a sleeper grocery getter is your thing. The US did not get the HPT modular whiteblock t4 s40 that apparently is quite hot at more than 200 hp 200 ftlbs stock. Volvoheads (like me) like the v70s allot more than the v40 for their toughness, utility, and used parts availability. Volvo made them for a long time (93-00) and by the time the v70 rolled around they were pretty well worked out, have lots of space to get at things, and are designed to be maintained easily. A major PITA exception is that the heater core is buried in the dash and is north of 1k to fix. The front suspensions get loose but are easy to fix, and there are rear main seal issues that require a tyranny and engine drop to get at- the PVC system needs to be working to keep the crankcase pressures off of the RMS. I have a HPT 850 wagon that has been very reliable with all the luxo boat systems that the NA versions are not burdened with.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/20/09 12:27 p.m.

I started looking at V40s because of the lack of decent turbo V70s for sale around Atlanta.

A 2nd gen V40 is out of my price range. I told my wife I was going to spend around $7000 on a car and try to get something nice for once. Gotta have a wagon but it's also got to have guts, so a turbo model is pretty much required.

(edit) Well, it seems that they killed off the V40 variant after 2004. So if I want a wagon a first gen is the only choice.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
7/20/09 12:38 p.m.

First generation known as the V40 Based on a Mitsubishi product that was not sold in the US

Second Generation know as the V50 Based on the Mazda 3 frame with different suspension and engines.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
7/20/09 12:40 p.m.

This one looks like it is a t5 advertised as a light pressure turbo. The HPT t5s make 238 hp and 240 flbs. I see quite a few v70 glts on the Atlanta CL, which are light pressure turbos. I think they are 190 hp 210 ftlbs with a sort of mid level option packages. No 5 speeds with turbos in the US however except for somewhat rare 1998 5 speed high pressure sedans and wagons. The asin 5 speed slush boxes are reliable if they have had fluid changes. they shift minimally- I like that in a slush box.

With the boost leaks eliminated and everything working right, a MBC, a cat back, and a k&n thse go like stink. 260 hp and flbs. they are kind of funny, like a lecherous aunt or something.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ctd/1252366146.html

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
7/20/09 12:43 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: First generation known as the V40 Based on a Mitsubishi product that was not sold in the US

These did make it to the us in pretty big numbers, but I believe it is with the Mitsu engine instead of the whiteblock modualr volvo engine that is really quite good.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
7/20/09 12:49 p.m.
Shaun wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: First generation known as the V40 Based on a Mitsubishi product that was not sold in the US
These did make it to the us in pretty big numbers, but I believe it is with the Mitsu engine instead of the whiteblock modualr volvo engine that is really quite good.

edit: mitsu based with lpt volvo motor in us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V40

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
7/20/09 12:49 p.m.

^^^
No, it was the Mitsu version that was not sold in the US. That Mitsu car is known as the Carisma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Carisma

Yes, there were many Volvo S40 (sedan) and V40 (wagon) sold in the US

slefain
slefain Dork
7/20/09 3:47 p.m.

Well it looks like the sedan is definitely more abundant in my area. The 2nd gen sedan can be had for my price range (barely). The lure of a boosted 4-cyl is tough though because in my thinking a little tweaking yields great hp gains.

Guess I need to find one for a test drive.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/20/09 4:52 p.m.

I would buy a WRX wagon, but uhh... I now think they are the answer to everything.

I looked at 2nd Gen V40s, and they're cool and different, but finding a 5-speed T5 w/AWD was impossible. Plus more go-fast bits for the Subie.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
7/21/09 12:18 a.m.

I didn't know the first gen S40/V40 had some mitsu roots. But I found a fun little fact while reading the wikipedia entry;

Due to the common platform, many components of the suspension and drive train are compatible with Charisma as well as the Mitsubishi Evolution III.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
72kFY3EcwNEJ1RBN8jCBe3ENczv9PTafUpapGZNkD9XCZxY6MFyi6VcebSWmGzJQ