1 2
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/2/22 7:06 p.m.

Car (truck) is a 2019 Blazer with a glove box that is opened electronically (someone thought that was a good idea!!) that has been flooded and electronic fried in the recent weather happenings.  It's a friend of my wifes mother.

I had no idea, but based on the thread on here I said I thought a crowbar was not a bad option since the truck is basically trash now.

Is there a mechanical way around such silliness?  Applying power to the car clearly is not the answer.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/2/22 7:10 p.m.

You already came up with my suggestion, and the reason it's a sensible choice. 
It's totaled anyway. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/2/22 7:11 p.m.

Woah woah woah, don't jump straight to the crow bar.

A sawzall would be way easier!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/2/22 7:16 p.m.

If you are trying to save the dash , then what about a hole saw  in the middle of the open button.....

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
10/2/22 7:38 p.m.

Before you go jamming a pry bar in there you will need want an air shim bag, so you can get the pry bar all the way in.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/2/22 7:39 p.m.

We looked at an '18 Chevrolet Traverse that had that option.  I thought it would be a cool place to stash a gun.  

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/2/22 9:40 p.m.

Shotgun?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/2/22 10:04 p.m.

If you can get to the connector can you just hit it with 12v?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/2/22 10:09 p.m.

This is a pretty interesting problem for sure. I wonder if there's a mechanical release hidden somewhere? I'd love to get my hands on the service manual for that.

Can you reach the hinges from the bottom? It's probably a long time since there were real hinges and not just pegs or something, but maybe you could choose to destroy the glovebox side instead of the dashboard side for easier replacement if there's any chance this vehicle will be recomissioned.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/2/22 10:29 p.m.

The Blazer is not the same as the Traverse.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/3/22 2:25 p.m.

You'd think that the owner's manual would mention a manual release but it doesn't. Call the dealer? 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/3/22 2:29 p.m.

If everything else fails, angle grinder? 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
10/3/22 2:49 p.m.

Be careful of air bags!

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
10/3/22 5:30 p.m.

(blinks)  Well, that's a sentence I never expected to read. I don't understand why using a crowbar would set off the airbag,  but I want learn. Are airbags set off by an electrical signal or g-force?

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
10/3/22 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Electrical. It's the job of computers and sensors to determine when.

No one mentioned explosives yet?

Oh wait, presumably there is something of value inside. Drill a hole and break out the jigsaw. Or yeah, go straight to Tom's Sawzall.

Or a BFH if you have a green light to destructoland. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/3/22 5:59 p.m.

Engineers are really going out of their way on vehicles...

JimS
JimS Reader
10/3/22 7:22 p.m.

My 911's trunk release is electrical. If battery goes dead you can't  release the hood to get at the battery. (I know there is a mechanical release that can be rigged to use. ) You have to connect jumper to fuse box and then open trunk. Why not a cable release. Too simple. Engineers should be required to work on the cars they design before release. They have to show how smart they are by overcomplicating everything. Computer guys are the same way. I was one. Web sites that are complicated and not  intuitive. KISS. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
10/3/22 10:54 p.m.

If the water has gotten to the harness and disabled the glove box it just seems worth noting before you go bashing on things or hooking batteries up to things.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/22 11:00 a.m.

In reply to JimS :

More than once, I have even had a cable release for a hood fail. Even that can cause a moment of pause....

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
10/4/22 12:13 p.m.
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/4/22 12:20 p.m.

It looks pretty flimsy (like most gloveboxes). 

I'd grab the bottom edge with 2 hands and snatch HARD. I'll bet it would fall off in your hands.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/4/22 12:22 p.m.
johndej said:

Shotgun?

Came here to upvote the "shotgun" comment.  Mission accomplished!  yes

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/4/22 12:24 p.m.

I can say that the trunk and engine compartment on my Ghia are both cable (actually wire) releases (and both are over 60 years old!) and I am not sure how I would release either if they broke.  There is a apparently a hole you can drill to get to the engine cover release I should look into, and maybe rig a back up for both.  I could replace the cables, but I am not entirely confident a new one is any better then an original German one (I have lubed them).

I suspect I could tunnel through the engine tin (not original) to get to the engine lid release.  The trunk.....  maybe the glove box?! (which doesn't have a lock BTW!)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/4/22 12:25 p.m.

Want to say thanks for the ideas.  Seems like a work around is unlikely.  I was also thinking the lock to the glove box might be tied into the security system of the car, so trying to bypass the switch or find the wire may not even work.

I wasn't sure where exactly where this vehicle was (e.g. North East storms, or Florida) and if it was salt water or not.  I just heard that the truck, and their house of course, are in Fort Myers (!), and it doesn't sound like the aftermath is good.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
10/4/22 1:20 p.m.

Not sure, but I assume you may need a set of these GRM favorites:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9q1xp7vQCIHeHs1qdOtYoRAagmTlqihZYNMCrzxl5hLQV4EXvWhD5nw7yTnwie9q