03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/17/20 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I like your thinkin,' sir!!!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/17/20 6:31 p.m.

Found a 34 lb transom mt. about a hr 1/2 away near Panama City for $60, and he'll meet me half way, so I'll prolly go for that.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/17/20 7:16 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Ive found that you can usually find a boat needed major work (I.E., thrown away) trailer and non running outboard cheaper than a boat trailer. put the the word boat in front of trailer, and prices start climing. 'Course they ask stupid money for utility trailers now too, so I guess that makes 800 look like a decent deal.(would be a good deal for a galvanized)

I hadn't realized the lower slung ones were heaver; I'm ok with that, but this small wheeled tandem ought to pull nice, and has a nice look too. I might look into rebuilding it with out the tilt part - get it a bit lower.

I had to look up faff to be sure, but in context I thought that's was what ya meant! Ive known folks that grab a 12 pack, and head to the popular river ramp just for the entertainment!

Thanks for all the help

In general, they're heavier because they're wider and use more steel. Part of getting the boat lower is moving the frame rails further apart to get the hull down between them. I think as interstate speeds have increased and tow vehicles have improved, people expect to pull trailers at much higher speeds than the norm back then. Old trailers I've used just aren't as solid as the newer stuff. 

yeah, $800 for a steel bass boat trailer is top end. That would be good tires, good wiring, shiny paint, etc in my opinion. But 800-1200 isn't uncommon here. You're right about buying a dead boat to get the trailer, but I've never had a good way to dispose of the boat. Landfill won't take it here even cut up. 

trailers are one of those things that have deals if you're patient. I waited 2 years but eventually caught a galvanized trailer, freshly rewired, with a 5500lb axle for $600. With new rollers, tires and bearings I've got about $1000 in it but it's $1500 trailer any day. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/17/20 7:42 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Yea, that is a good deal.

I had a 14' runabout I was fixing up when I move from Newport News VA... of had planed to! Really it was setting in the way!. I decided to dump it, Pleasantly surprised how easy it was to cut up with a saws-all! NN dump didn't take em either... I know somebody just threw a few pieces at a time in with other trailer loads going to dump. I also knew somebody that had a shed built out of 4x8 sheets of .1" thick asbestos. The wood rotted out from the inside and shed still stood. broke the sheets up (in the rain for safety) and got rid of. Asbestos is GREAT stuff. And perfictly safe... when you understand it. KEEP IT WET when working with it!

This boat will never see interstate speeds! The back roads it will see most of only get to 55 for short sections. Few sections of 65, but that doesent mean I need to do 80!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/17/20 8:15 p.m.

Looking a specs a bit, based on the good info here, and inter webs directed to, and the Cobra (and others) is supposed to be a ranger 485 or 482; But the Cobra is a single console - would be a 481. But I guess that's the same hull.

I know, I'm being obsessive again! Don't really matter... I'm just a specs nut!

My boat is supposed to be a 78, 79, or 80... but the 481/482 did not come out till 90 (same for 485) Seems odd to be a copy?

Ranger site talk about the 482V and the 482VS has a factory set back transom, but I don't know hot tho look and see that difference This Cobra does have a transom that is "curved" (for lack of a better word) back about 3" instead of the back of boat being completely flat. But I don't think that would be considered "setback." I know next to nothing about boats (except Subs, but that's different!!!)

pirate
pirate HalfDork
9/17/20 8:53 p.m.
03Panther said:

Part of the reason for the "deal" is - it has a tiny 35 hp outboard on it. Kinda like having a Corvette, with a Chevette engine! but since we only want to putt-putt around, we're OK with that.

We were out in our motorhome a couple months ago and guy next to us had a bass boat with 300hp engine. I asked him how fast it would go, he answered " it will go 77 mph but I have never caught any bass at that speed". I know the reason they say they need the speed is to get to the best spots in front of competitors during tournaments. Probably as good a reason as any to have a fast boat but more likely bragging rights.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/17/20 9:32 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

I think the braggin' rights nailed it.

300 and only 77? there are many smaller hp boats doing that... not that that is slow, but ... 300? silly

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/17/20 9:33 p.m.

I know folks that raced boats. Lots a better ways to go fast!!!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/18/20 1:06 a.m.

Source Pat Goff:
Legend/Hawk/Cobra/Viper, they all run together.
Here's the scoop, and anything else you hear is just B.S.

Well, after much time on the google, I found a link to the Ranger site itself, for owners manuals by date. Imagine looking there! I downloaded the 90-92, since Mr. Pat Goff was adamant about having the inside skinny and said mine is a knock off of a 482. Sadly the gentleman is incorrect! I also downloaded 85 - earlier ... after much studying, and back to the art of google... it's a knock off of a 168V!!!! Ok, so Pat is prolly correct in the rest - just got his generation model number wrong. But I know know.

That's same as my Cobra/Viper/Hawk/Legend/etc.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/18/20 1:13 a.m.

I will ride the bike down to the current owners place, with my wife following me, and make the swap, to become the new owner. Y'all will be stuck with cell phone pic's... I'm no photographer... but at least they will be taken outdoors'! I thing I'm working both nights this weekend as well, so I don't know when it will get wet, but at least it will get to its new home!

9/18/20 7:18 a.m.

Pat may have been talking about copying the lower hull design and shape. Those guys are a lot more concerned about the part that hits the water than the interior layout.  

Cant wait to see pics

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/18/20 8:31 p.m.

The "gas station on way home pictures:

The next shows how good of condition the transom (exterior) is in... and how silly the 35 Johnson looks between the old brackets:

I haven't done a "core test" on the transom, but the tap test sounds great!. The rub strip, needs help!:

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/18/20 8:57 p.m.

Weighed it on way home, 1620lbs on the axles. 'Bout 150 on the tongue. Spec. on the bare hull (Ranger it was copied from) is only 1050. So I hope the Cobra is a hair heavier, and its not saturated foam! The P.O. covered a nice piece of "marine grade" plywood with dark gray carpet, cut out to fit over the existing floor... er... deck. Turns out the "top" of the boat goes on after the deck is installed, and includes all the front deck, rod storage, console and rear deck/storage/livewell. to PROPERLY replace the deck, ya have to take her head off! Remove rub strip, all screws in perimeter and deck, tabs and "dabs" of resin from initial installation... and cuss a lot! And after all that THEN you can test the stringers and transom to see if its worth replacing the foam, or throwing the hull away!

Under his gray floor (I can't call this a deck... not worthy, although it looks good) the existing deck is fairly firm. Previous to the current previous owner, someone laid green indoor/outoor carpet over the factory bleu. Looks like just cause it was worn badly. Of course the cheap green did not last well, hence the po's solution. I think I'll come in 2" from all "top" flanges where they screw to the deck, and cut the original deck out. Add Aluminum (or maybe 'glass) tabs around, and make a removable deck center. Then I can check out a large percentage of the stringers. and reduce some weight.

Not actually worried about it being a bit heavy - I wont be racing. Just like things done "cleanly."

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/18/20 8:57 p.m.

First, we'll put her in the water a few times till weather turns!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/18/20 9:01 p.m.

Can't say how it tows yet... picked it up with the F350! Wheels could fall off, and it would not notice! Didn't bounce around in the rear views, so that's a good sign

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/19/20 9:34 p.m.

Kinda odd tandem set up. Looks like 60's stuff? Any SWAG's from the knowledgeable folks here?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/19/20 9:38 p.m.

Hitch on the truck is kinda high... pushed weight onto rear axle while towing home. Had a fair amount of camber (or is it castor - top leaning in) for the trip! I'll eithe put a 1 7/8 ball on a longer hitch for the truck, or swap the hitch for a 2'' like all my other small trailers!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/19/20 9:46 p.m.

The Johnson S/N surprised me some  - its a 1986. Came as a remote steer... some one had to add that tiller along the way. Did come with the electric start.

Correct recomended plugs... hope to pull 'em tomorrow. Can't find my compression tester, so I might get a cheapo.

and I don't know enough about props to tell ya if a 10 x 13 is good for this much hull or not. I believe that is a 10'' Dia and a 13" pitch? I don't remember what changes what. I'm sure one of y'all can help there! Its not all chewed up, at least.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/19/20 9:53 p.m.

How y'all like his dash cubby hole?

And its a Cobra Phantom!!!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/20/20 8:37 p.m.

Off topic of my cobra thread a bit, but it’s my thread, and I can if I wanna!

Pat Goff’s name came up a time or two, and I’ll include an example:

Yep boys, fiberglass, nidacore, laminates, whatever material you think your "composite" is, if it gets wet, and stays wet, it'll come apart just as quickly.  

If you have a ten year old boat and haven't resealed everything on it, you're a misguided idiot.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX

He’s not wrong, and I’m the last guy that could complain about someone being straight up honest, but every post I run into of his, he is being insulting. I garuntee he doesn’t talk to folks in public that way. Much easier to be an insulting azz hat behind a keyboard!

when I posted his info was wrong on my hull design, someone attempted to defend him... but wholly unnecessary.  Right or wrong info, he’s still being an azz hat in most stuff I see from him. Anyway, back to my thread!!!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/20/20 8:42 p.m.

I drained the gas out of the boat today, since p. o. does not remember how much oil he added.  SWAG I suppose! Would have prolly been fine, but cheap insurance. Looks like the AL tank someone installed along the way is 22 gallons. Should run the 35 hp for a minute or twosmiley

before I take the boat back out to fill up, I’ll remove the tank and vacuum out the area around the keel and transom. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/20/20 8:53 p.m.

Just in front of tank...

And between tank ant transom

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/20/20 9:07 p.m.

Little concerned when I saw the delaminatin in first photo, but it’s not delaminating, just poor workmanship when new! And the wood rot, although not a good thing , is only limited the the spot that the factory did not fiberglass over!! Not bad for a  42 year old boat!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/20/20 9:59 p.m.

I learned a bit about props last night. Lower number pitch raises top RPM, and higher number lowers. There are many different props for this engine, from 9 to 11.5” diameter, and  various pitches. Since I will not run at top end too often, I think a 4 blade prop would be good for me. 

Found good info on how to test what works best, but no suggestions, since nobody runs anything smaller than two to three times 35hp!!!

ill take a swag at it, and buy one to try. Keep the one I don’t like as much as s spare. 

9/21/20 5:10 a.m.

Interior finish level for cheap boats in the 79s was abysmal. The amount of frayed, splattered fiberglass strand under every surface of mine is terrifying. Doing any work inside it beats the heck out of my hands. 

prop fitting is an art, but I've always figure more pitch works the torque side of the motor and helps on take off/ low speed oomph while lower pitch let's the motor rpms go up and translates to horsepower. Sort of. But I could be wrong completely. I agree that a four blade seems like it fits your needs. I think mine is a 3 blade 13.5"x 17, but it's on a V4 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SMe9Xmt2fiCukLOaEMD96HBwhdYA0c2ojxbvIKo1HoF4bYwLKaGFXVCdC5eQg7KF