1 2
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/19/22 4:26 p.m.
John Welsh said:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/cleveland-2004-toyota-sienna-runs-great/7447900727.html

Yeah that looks good to me. I'd have bought it if it was for sale two months ago :P

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/19/22 6:08 p.m.
newrider3 said:
CarKid1989 said:

On the other hand, the Caravan for example its best to get the newer one with the better brakes oh oh oh and get the newer newer one with the better engine if you can. Newer tends to be more cash.

You can go as old as 2013 with the GC/T&C and get the modern everything. Supposedly some low trim early 2013s still received the small brakes, but that's easy to avoid.

Those first ones with the pentastar, 2012?, man, i came away shaking my head at just how well than ran.  I guess I've gotten used to them because the last few I've had, while no slouch, just haven't impressed me as much.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
2/20/22 2:14 a.m.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/westville-2003-kia-sedona-ex/7439771985.html

On the older side but looks solid. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
2/20/22 9:07 a.m.

This thread has me seriously considering trading in our Hybrid Pacifica to Carvana. They're offering $42,5k which is like $14k more than we paid a year and a half ago after the tax credit. Pretty tempting to sell it and get the new Toyota Sienna hybrid, and maybe even make some money on the transaction. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/20/22 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Erich :

The question becomes then, how much over MSRP will you have to pay on the Sienna?  If not too much, I'd do it.  

MrFancypants
MrFancypants HalfDork
2/20/22 9:19 a.m.

Man I'd love to help you but our minivan is still seeing front line service. That said, if you can swing it, I can't recommend a 5th generation Honda Odyssey enough. If there's a better family focused vehicle out there I wouldn't know what it is. The cherry on top is that it's also a very pleasant car to drive.

If your budget is a bit tighter I think a Grand Caravan would be the way to go. Value for the money spent is pretty incredible.

Maybe I'm a complete weirdo (I am), but I really wish there was an actual performance aftermarket for these. There's someone locally that's gone through the trouble of lowering his Odyssey and adding aftermarket wheels and it looks great. On the kind of touring tires these cars like the stock anti-roll bars are just fine, but a static spring to bring it down an inch paired with Konis or Bilsteins would be awesome. Swap in an aftermarket muffler and resonator for a deeper tone and it'd be like driving a gigantic hot hatch that can seat eight.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
2/20/22 9:22 a.m.

Obligatory "nothing to sell but good luck with your search". 

We made the leap to minivan life when we found out kid #2 and #3 were a two-for-one  special.

All my research leads me to "the cleanest Sienna you can find".  We picked up an 09 awd SLE right before Covid hit, and it had been great.

My wife still hates minivans on principal, but I love it!

Erich
Erich UberDork
2/20/22 1:03 p.m.

We had a Sienna too before the Hybrid Pacifica. It was a nice ride - extremely comfortable seats and the AWD was unstoppable in the snow. 

We had a few expensive issues crop up but then, it was at 220k miles when we bought it. The power sliding doors don't tend to work forever and the cables are kinda painful to replace. I don't think we averaged much more than 19-20 mpg in ours.

They're very nice vans to spend time in.  The guy we sold it to ended up fixing it up and installing a lift kit. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tlo0QJzYEBsubon2pXKzr0dgyAoXawuTP4bTsf4VtaMwEmvV9KZa4J4Iew2kS5Vq