Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
2/12/20 8:59 p.m.

Anyone willing to do a little "additive manufacturing for me?

Simple part, looks like it's made of painted or anodized aluminum, but plastic would do-- it's just a spacer/washer used around a fastener for the rear bumper cover.  It's loaded in compression.

BMW wants $4.75 a piece for these, but they are on back order with no ETA.  Made me  think that this would be a good candidate for a 3D print.

20 mm diameter with a 6.5 mm hole, major diameter is 1 mm thick.  Raised portion gives the entire piece a 4 mm height and is 10.5 mm in diameter.  Critical dimensions are the 6.5 mm inner portion and the 4 mm height.

I could use half a dozen of these, willing to pay something appropriate for time, materials and shipping.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
2/12/20 9:04 p.m.

It seems simple enough to model, but I'm only capable of printing out of PLA or PETG at the moment, I'm not sure if it'd need to be nylon or ABS for durability.  Racetruckron is probably your guy.

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/12/20 9:26 p.m.

I might be able to help you out, but they would be out of aluminum. 

No promises, have to check work load tomorrow. Give me a day. 

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/12/20 9:28 p.m.

What BMW is this from? I might have one around to look at. 

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
2/12/20 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

That would certainly work as well! -- email me at em jay em wye ee are ess 52349 @ gmail.com and we can work something out.

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/12/20 10:03 p.m.

Email sent. 

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
2/13/20 7:35 a.m.

That's a lathe project.

Find the nearest makerspace and turn them out of delrin, or print them yourself. A BUNCH of makerspaces, libraries, schools, and locals have printers. Go meet them.

morello159
morello159 Reader
2/13/20 8:32 a.m.

https://www.makexyz.com/ if you can't find someone here or want a different material 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
2/13/20 9:31 a.m.

I have ABS, nylon and glass filled nylon capabilities. I also have a resin printer that works with a variety of urethane based UV-cure resins.  Feel free to shoot me a PM unless Slippery already has this taken care of.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
2/13/20 9:37 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

I have ABS, nylon and glass filled nylon capabilities. I also have a resin printer that works with a variety of urethane based UV-cure resins.  Feel free to shoot me a PM unless Slippery already has this taken care of.

Sorry for the highjack...but do you by any chance know of a good nylon-capable printer at a decent price? Or a lesser printer that can be upgraded to the temps needed for nylon?

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
2/13/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Slippery probably has me taken care of for the moment.  Will be back in touch if needed.

Thanks!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
2/13/20 9:44 a.m.
Wicked93gs said:
RacetruckRon said:

Sorry for the highjack...but do you by any chance know of a good nylon-capable printer at a decent price? Or a lesser printer that can be upgraded to the temps needed for nylon?

I only run Nylon on my CR10S which has an E3D Hemera hotend, upgraded heated bed and an enclosure. I feel like that's a good path for Nylon printing.  You need to be able to get to 270-290C on the hotend without issue for Nylon depending on the blend. Not a lot of affordable machines out there that can safely do that.  An all metal hotend upgrade and an enclosure will get just about any printer ready to print nylon.

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/24/20 7:44 p.m.
Karacticus said:

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Slippery probably has me taken care of for the moment.  Will be back in touch if needed.

Thanks!

Should be there Thursday:

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
2/24/20 8:13 p.m.

Slippery is an awesome dude everyone!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/24/20 9:07 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Slippery is an awesome dude everyone!

He made the custom tool that went into the r63 of doom afaik. Helluva machinist. 

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
2/27/20 6:28 p.m.

The parts have been received and work perfectly!

Thanks again!

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/27/20 6:36 p.m.

Glad to hear and apologies on the delay, the last two weeks have been crazy. 

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/27/20 6:37 p.m.
Mndsm said:

He made the custom tool that went into the r63 of doom afaik. Helluva machinist. 

Your first sentence is correct, the second not so much lol. 

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
2/28/20 10:08 a.m.

Wow I'm impressed!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oC6SMbtfMNeusTmZZCn3tEKUi3BAYF0k6YGxmI2PFDHL1NpfGlfKTUF1uLr6zJEX