Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/21/20 9:24 a.m.

My 90 has had a crack in the windshield since I got it & the whole thing is pretty scratched up anyway. I called my glass guy today to see about him replacing it & he said they're NLA from his supplier, so I just googled & checked eBay, but all I'm finding are used ones. 

Does anyone have a source for a new windshield that I could get shipped here for him to install? I really don't want to deal with Safelite, etc. again. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
10/21/20 9:50 a.m.

My most recent understanding (and both my NA and NB need one) is that the OEM is NLA, but there are still aftermarket available.  With the number of NA/NB still on the road, I can't imagine the aftermarket is no longer making them.  

I need one for my NA8 (rearview windshield mount). Gonna be bummed if NLA. 

That is all.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/21/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

For what it's worth, I used Safelite on my Challenge Miata and they did a good job for $186 three years ago.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/21/20 2:25 p.m.

The way my local glass guy tells it, a ton of glass is NLA in large part because of Safelite. They have their own manufacturing and they control so much of the glass market that it doesn't make much sense to stock oddball stuff anymore.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/21/20 2:34 p.m.

I have one in the parts shell that needs to be pulled.  What's the best technique to get a windshield out, "aircraft wire" and saw the glue?

Anyone want the thing, it looks new.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

I generally use a guitar or bass string, though I have never pulled a Miata windshield.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
10/22/20 7:59 a.m.

I once went on vacation somewhere ~8 hours away, partly so I could get a windshield from a junkyard because the glass place said no FC RX7 windshields were available in the country a few months prior. When I got back and went to the glass place to have it installed, they were like, why did you bother, there are new ones available. I think you probably just need to wait a bit for the next production run.

WillG80
WillG80 New Reader
10/22/20 8:58 a.m.

I would call around to a few different installers. Most installers source their windows from a single vendor (brand). A different vendor will probably have access to different brands. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/22/20 9:47 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

I need one for my NA8 (rearview windshield mount). Gonna be bummed if NLA. 

That is all.

You can transfer the mount.

10/22/20 9:47 a.m.

Thanks everyone!

I've had great luck with my local independent guy & his wife, and am not a big fan of Safelite(for reasons), so I'd like to keep supporting them.

I really don't want to go through the trouble & expense to install a used windshield, unless it's already pulled, nearly flawless, and cheaper than new. 

I'm guessing that without being an installer myself I probably won't get anywhere trying to contact the distributors/warehouse & asking about availability?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/22/20 9:57 a.m.

IIRC there are at least two different suppliers for Miata windshields. At least, there used to be a couple of years ago. Crazy thought - have you called a dealer?

10/22/20 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Oh I'm way too cheap to call a dealer for almost anything. ;-)

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/22/20 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

$415 from Majestic surprise List is $625!!

The uv blocking one for my e46 with the built in headlight/wiper sensors was less than that from the dealer!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/22/20 10:34 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Oh I'm way too cheap to call a dealer for almost anything. ;-)

How much do you pay for phone calls?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lMgeDQlUB4RPsCGeJKcAxEIagHecaheY5FdBXZLtPkna2apAOmMIlkTjw46PlUg6