bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/6/18 6:39 p.m.

The Golf needs tires, 2/32" of tread and the remnants of Tropical Storm Gordon don't mix well.

I had the old version Continental Extreamcontact DWS on our old Jetta.  I got a couple quotes for the new DWS06 surprise, I don't think I paid that much for the old ones, but I don't want to skimp on tires.

I got also got quotes on Cooper CS5 Ultra Grand Touring and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.  The Coopers are within a couple dollars of the Continentals, and the Michelins, well they're Michelins so they're quite a bit more.

I was on a Cooper CS5 kick for a bit, I put a set of Grand Touring on the Volvo, and a set of Touring on the Grand Marquis, I like them.

Had a service advisor tell me the DWS06 is being phased out, I can't find anything about that online, I know the DWS was phased out and the DWS06 replaced it.  I think dude is misinformed, anyone know for sure?

So do I want Contis, Coopers, or something else?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/6/18 6:56 p.m.

I very much like the BFG Comp 2 A/S that I have on the Porsche. They look great, are totally silent, ride well, and grip like a summer tire. And when I drive this car I almost always seem to end up in torrential rainstorms (almost certainly because the sunroof leaks), and these tires are absolutely awesome in wet/flooded roads at high speeds. Seriously the best all-season tire I've ever owned, hands down.

IIRC they beat pretty much everything in Tire Rack's tests as well, though don't quote me on it.  IDK if they come in your size or not, but highly recommend. 

I had DWS on my Maxima a while back, and they were good, but I think these are better. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
9/6/18 7:32 p.m.

I've got a set of the DWS06 on my Lancer Ralliart wagon. We get lots of heavy rain here in Central Florida, so they've been driven in the kind of conditions you are getting there. They grip quite well  in wet or dry, and I've been very happy with them.

Very smooth ride, even into triple digits. Three years, about 20k miles. Never had to be rebalanced.

Wouldn't hesitate to get another set.

If they're being phased out, I hope that they're going to be replaced with a similar tire like they did before.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/6/18 7:48 p.m.

I just noticed Tire Rack is offering free shipping on orders over $50, is that new?

Those BFG Comp-2s and the Conti DWS06s are pretty close on all their comparisons.

I can save $100, if I order from Tirerack, and let the the high school kids at Walmart mount/balance.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/6/18 8:50 p.m.

I still like my DWSs. Just put a second set on the Acura. 

Fitz
Fitz New Reader
9/6/18 8:55 p.m.

If you have a Costco membership Michelins are on a $70 rebate with installation for .01 per tire right now. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/6/18 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Fitz :

I live in the land of Walmart, they pretty well have a monopoly on the state, we have a plethora of Sam's Clubs to choose from, but nary a Costco.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/6/18 10:19 p.m.

I've had both Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and was very happy with the performance of both. I didn't put a ton of miles on the Michelins but they were really grippy and seemed great. I think you would be happy with either one, and the Continental is much cheaper.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/7/18 12:03 a.m.

just put a new set of continentals on my Saab 93 wagon and had a set on my x type. They have been my go to tire for the last five years or so. Really like them.

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
9/7/18 6:01 a.m.

Loved my DWS. Love my Vredestein Quatracs even more because they seemed just as good and were cheap.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
9/7/18 1:43 p.m.

I have them on the 10AE and I love them, great bang for the buck - they wear a bit faster than I would think but still great fun. 

they do howl a bit the first few laps when you toss em on for a track day, also I would recommend against the 55 profile sidewall for such an occasion but it actually was real predictable and handled well (for having no sway bars) 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/7/18 2:16 p.m.

I love the Comp 2 A/Ss on the daily Mustang. I went with them because they supposedly handle rain better than some other tires I was looking at. It's good enough in the rain I have to actively tell myself to be more careful if I drive the Crosstour on Tiger Paws in the rain now.

Erich
Erich UberDork
9/7/18 5:31 p.m.

I bought the BFG Comp 2 A/S for our V6 Accord and they've been very good on comfort, road noise, wet and dry traction, and predictability.  Big upgrade from the well-worn DWS it was wearing.

I will say that the BFGs seemed extremely loud on the freeway for the first thousand miles or so. Now they're much quieter. 

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
9/7/18 6:51 p.m.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+(W-Speed+Rated)

Last year I bought these Sumitomo's from the Tire Rack for our AWD Nissan Juke.

Fantastic all season, all around performance tire.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
9/7/18 7:21 p.m.

I upgraded my Saturn Astra from cheap Kumho Ecsta's to the DWS and what a difference it made! They really transformed the entire car. I was thinking of selling it until I put the tires on. My 235/45R17 were under 500 shipped, from Amazon of all places.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/8/18 11:38 a.m.

The Golf was at the dealer for the 2nd half of the TDI Emissions recall, so I had them go ahead and set the alignment and stick a four new DWS06es on it.

Never thought I'd be getting tires at the dealer, but I called around, and got the dealer to beat my cheapest quote for tires and an alignment by $10.  I could have saved more by ordering on Tirerack, but that would have added more time and hassle.

Thanks for all the input!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xR05sVJt5waszDxhYGEVoaYWF3ZGzLjiz1NTwYUVk6VGsj7f7nLsbLXwnQ9bnpEh