1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
1/13/12 4:36 p.m.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/2796243551.html

A buddy and I have been kicking this link around for a few days now. It appears to be very nice, but neither of us know jack E36 M3 about turbo Dodges. Are we missing something? IIRC the 80's Charger is kind of a bastard among bastards as far as desirability, but that interior looks pretty darn clean...

We have a friend in the area and could scrape up the cash to get it...

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/13/12 4:41 p.m.

IMO, anything Shelby made after 1970 is worthless...

Especially a FWD 80's Mopar that really has no discernible differences from the factory Turbo efforts beyond some decals and plastic.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/13/12 4:45 p.m.

Screw it, it's $1000, weird, and cool.

Buy it.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/13/12 4:54 p.m.
Javelin wrote: IMO, *anything* Shelby made after 1970 is worthless... Especially a FWD 80's Mopar that really has no discernible differences from the factory Turbo efforts beyond some decals and plastic.

'cept for the suspension, engine management, intercoolers, seats, ya know, stuff like that.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/13/12 5:01 p.m.

They were hugely popular when new and pretty fast. Turbo Dodges were everywhere at one point. I say buy it and hunt for a Flock of Seagulls cassette to play when driving. No wait, it's a Dodge, make that Georgia Satelites instead!

Seriously, at that price, I don't think there's too much of a downside. And while they'll never be worth what a '60's Shelby would, I think it will be worth a bit more at some point.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
1/13/12 5:07 p.m.

I'd buy it.

They do seem worthless, only because most have rusted away and they don't have huge V8's.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/13/12 5:08 p.m.

My girlfriend really wants a '89 Shelby Daytona.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
1/13/12 5:09 p.m.

I had one of those for a while. My opinion of them is unpopular, but I didn't like it very much. It wasn't that fast, it didn't get good mileage (~18-20), it didn't handle that well, and it was really unreliable. Most of the problems could be fixed with aftermarket parts and parts from newer turbo dodges though, and if you wanted to you could make it pretty nice. If you think about it as something similar to an old Subaru that you can use parts from newer cars to improve it it would make a fun project, but other than that there are many better cars to buy. Btw, the blue ones are pretty unusual, they made more of most of the other colors (red, black, and silver/blue with the colors switched from the blue one).

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
1/13/12 5:16 p.m.

Had one. Get it.

GearBanger
GearBanger New Reader
1/13/12 5:17 p.m.

The '85 Dodge GLH Turbo was a freakin' sleeper and a beast. They use to say it Goes Like Hell since it was so fast. You'd look at it and think it was some Grand Ma's Omni until you'd see it pass by you.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/13/12 5:35 p.m.

I have two words...Yes and Please!

I love Shelby Dodges. IIRC there was a Shelby owners meeting when the Daytona was released, and it was quicker around the track than a decently set up GT350...

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/13/12 5:48 p.m.

On the 80s, Doddge did more than just add stickers. The Shelby Chargers came with stiffer springs and Monroe Formula GP shocks / struts. The GLHS came with Konis. Even KYB used to make a special GR-2 rear strut for Shelby Chargers and Omni GLH's.

Special suspensions were not limited to the Shelby's . The Charger 2.2 received a handling package with springs stiffer than the base model, but softer than the Shelby's.

The Charger 2.2 was a separate package. Some were available in 1984 and 1985 with the n/a Shelby 2.2.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/13/12 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

I know the GLH Turbo was, but I do not recall the Daytona being tested against the GT350. This was a stock Turbo I GLH, not the more potent intercooled GLHS.

a401cj
a401cj Reader
1/13/12 5:53 p.m.

they might be worthless in the same way a '68 or '69 Charger R/T was say from 1975 - 1985. Couldn't give em away. Some sent to the crusher. All got used up (thanks too to a certain TV show). Then, when they were almost all gone, everybody started wanting one. You couldn't drive one down the street today without everybody pointing, waving, and giving a thumbs up....

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
1/13/12 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Now THAT is a Turbo Dodge I'd like to have.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/13/12 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Not true. Shelby would develop the package and Dodge would make similar models. There as the Shelby Daytona and then the Daytona Shelby. Shelby pioneered the intercooled turbo 2.2, but did it with the standard Turbo I block. Chrysler took that another step with the intercooled Turbo II with a stronger block and bottom end.

Then there was the 1989 Shelby Dakota. Dodge did not build a V8 Dakota until 1991.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/13/12 6:20 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Btw, the blue ones are pretty unusual, they made more of most of the other colors (red, black, and silver/blue with the colors switched from the blue one).

Almost every one I've ever seen was blue. I thought they all were.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/13/12 6:31 p.m.

Just FYI - I'm not saying Turbo Dodge's are bad (in fact, I love them), just that "Shelby" doesn't make it worth any more to me, personally. I'd rather use all of Ma Mopar's goodies to build a badass one than overpay for the sticker packages the old curmudgeon stamped out.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/13/12 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Nope. Some were blue and silver, others were silver and blue (reversed), there was red and silver and black and silver as well. Then there were the all-black GLHS.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/13/12 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Depends. The numbered cars built at the Whittier facility may be worth something.

Also, only way to get a turbo L-body is to buy something with "Shelby" on it. L's are the quickest of the bunch as they are the lightest. The IROC Daytona may be the fastest, but the DOHC heads crack.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/13/12 6:48 p.m.

BUY_IT. I'd guess you could flip it and make a grand easily if its as nice as it looks. I LOVE the styling of the SC's and Rampages.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/13/12 7:04 p.m.

IIRC, the GLHS was still a Turbo I , which would've been a lot better if he had taken it a step further.

Also, the GLH's /have/had an annoying "no-no more boost" function when it would delay the fun. Usually fixed with the grainger valve remedy.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
1/13/12 7:16 p.m.

For $1000 if it runs and drives you aren't gonna get jurt if you don't like it

asetech
asetech New Reader
1/13/12 7:38 p.m.

Aarrgghh!!! Why so far away...I have a 2.5 turbo engine and trans sitting right here begging to go in that car!!!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/13/12 7:45 p.m.

I would do it. A $1000 asking should result in a $750 buy and that is cheap enough to do it. Shoot for $500 and then crapcan or BABE.

I have been ignoring this locally telling myself it will certainly be too rusty.

http://sandusky.craigslist.org/cto/2793726359.html

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ZmL8QLKAVPc57MTvVhuFbhGOdUzobTPPGSusqP77eHaH5Y9wqgOa8Wz2LsBzv4y