2 3 4
yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
9/11/15 7:11 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
fanfoy wrote: I'll echo what NOHOME wrote, but extend it to all the "affordable classic car" hobby. Stuff like british/italian/french little cars from the 50s to the 70s are going. Even the American car scene is going, but at a slower rate. I think they are victims of their success. Most of that stuff is much too expensive for what it is. Their values are dictated by rich, rose-tinted glasses wearing, baby-boomers trying to re-live an era that has already past. They is no logic in it. I would love to own an MGB for example, but when I see that I can own a far superior Miata, in better shape, for less money..... But the rest of the car hobby is doing great I think. It's just evolving and the older guys aren't keeping up.
There was an interesting poll taken on the MG Experience board. I would say that the sample size is reasonable to make some observations. What is most telling for me is the fall off of ownership after age 70. That tells me that there are going to be 36 cars available for the two youngest groups to buy. And they are stagnant at 27 units. So what happens to the market when there is roughly a 30% oversupply of MGBs? And I am with Fanboy in that I would extend this to all of the popular hobby marques. Too many restored by people who cared, for too small of a buying market who does not know what the fuss was all about.
The fall off age of life is around 70 too

Then, "Dying" is an appropriate word for that select group of enthusiast.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iove2E5mGnZIBYL1vQnv7a0Gh0GVzFvIROQwiPD2Wseewg9SeK9dcDgiZjm50nfT