Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/12/22 10:31 a.m.

The want is strong if I was brave enough, Biturbo on BaT with a built engine.  Five days to go but only at $6,500 today.

Link to ad.

Pimpin daily.

2.8L-Powered 1984 Maserati Biturbo 5-Speed

5/12/22 10:34 a.m.

As I hit post, I realized I missed an opportunity to title this 'Are you feeling lucky, punk?'

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/12/22 10:43 a.m.

I have never seen one in that kind of condition. I didn't know there were any in the world like that. They picked the best way to sell it, and I think it'll get a record amount for a Biturbo.

5/12/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Not just that, but having the lower body cladding (ground effects as they used to be called in this country for some bizzar reason), it really helps the car visually.  The ones without the cladding roll under and look like they are on stilts.  This has a nice 'stance' and the minilight knock offs look great.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/12/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

After all these years I wonder if there are fixes to the issues these have?

iansane
iansane Dork
5/12/22 10:51 a.m.

That thing is beautiful.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
5/12/22 11:28 a.m.

I have decided that I really like the look of these cars and would have one as a project, but I just can't get over that interior. So tacky, so overstuffed. 

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
5/12/22 12:09 p.m.

Finally a car on BAT I would consider purchasing!

What could go wrong?

Rons
Rons HalfDork
5/12/22 12:11 p.m.
Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/12/22 12:14 p.m.

That is by far the best-looking bit of pain and suffering I have ever seen. She's like the ultimate dominatrix. Whip you and beat you on Saturday night, take you to church on Sunday. 

I would love to have it but masochism has never really been my thing. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
5/12/22 12:37 p.m.

Its does answer that age old question - How much DOES it cost to keep a biturbo running? 

Answer: 6 figures..

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
5/12/22 12:39 p.m.

$114,000 in rect's for work done on the car! cool

Wonder what he hopes to get for it?

5/12/22 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

EEK, I can handle Saturday night, I just hope no car of mine become self aware and tries to take me to church on Sunday morning.  That's scarier than Christine.

5/12/22 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

Wow, Kendall, are you back in Michigan?  I thought you headed to the PACNW a decade or more ago.  Welcome back.  What brings you back to civilization?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/12/22 3:34 p.m.
Trent said:

I have decided that I really like the look of these cars and would have one as a project, but I just can't get over that interior. So tacky, so overstuffed. 

I agree. Even when these things were new, that interior looked awful.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/12/22 3:42 p.m.

How much would that interior be improved by making the wood trim not look like wood any more, like say carbon fiber wrap (it needs texture) or quilted marine vinyl in nearly black to blend in the vents and everything else?  And then use black seats that don't look like Buick leftovers.  Shifter boot changed for something black and as minimal as possible.  And a steering wheel that would look at home in a Ferrari 328 instead of that thing.

I keep thinking these would make a great EV swap candidate but I don't think the engine is all of the problem in keeping these on the road.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/12/22 3:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/12/22 4:14 p.m.

You guys have picked up that this is not just a normal Biturbo, right? It's had a fairly significant engine swap, and that engine is built and 40% larger than the original.  I suspect that was a fairly large percentage of the receipts :) 

I love the exterior styling of these. I think a set of Recaros would go a long way to helping the interior.

It goes without saying that I am available for enabling services. I could pick it up on the 23rd and bring it back to Grand Junction until you can come get it. 

5/12/22 4:23 p.m.

I think the current seats and wood trim should stay.  This isn't a sports car per se, it's a GT Sedan.  I think the wood and seats are very period.  It would look aweful with crappy carbon fibre and modern Recaro's.  Now, if Keith means some period correct Recaro's in the correct color leather, then I'm good.   

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/12/22 4:40 p.m.

I'm OK with 80's Recaros in the correct color. The puffy seats stood out in a European sporting coupe even in the period. I had the same complaints about the interior and love for the exterior when the cars were new.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/12/22 5:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You guys have picked up that this is not just a normal Biturbo, right? It's had a fairly significant engine swap, and that engine is built and 40% larger than the original.  I suspect that was a fairly large percentage of the receipts :) 

I love the exterior styling of these. I think a set of Recaros would go a long way to helping the interior.

It goes without saying that I am available for enabling services. I could pick it up on the 23rd and bring it back to Grand Junction until you can come get it. 

My dad's vert had these style of factory seats (much more visually appealing IMO)

Man how much would I love one of these with a reliable engine swap? A TON for memories sake alone. The rush of the twins spooling as we jogged her around every 6 months for 3 or 4 miles. The wind in my hair as I Ferris Buellered her out of the garage with my buddy underage when the parents were out of town. I can see the gold clock and feel the seude seats in my imagination even though I sat in the back "jump" seat for maybe 60 miles TOTAL over a 10 year span.

Can I have an EV swapped bi-turbo vert when I win the lotto? Alongside a LS swapped Defender 90 just so my carbon footprint stay consistent?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/12/22 5:05 p.m.

Much better.

There are least two older EV swapped ones out there. Probably because they were all cheap, stylish and broken. Perfect platform :)

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/12/22 5:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Much better.

There are least two older EV swapped ones out there. Probably because they were all cheap, stylish and broken. Perfect platform :)

Imagine the bonus points you could get if it was EV'ed AND flared ala the below. Would have them coming out of the woodwork:

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/12/22 6:38 p.m.
dculberson said:

I have never seen one in that kind of condition. I didn't know there were any in the world like that. They picked the best way to sell it, and I think it'll get a record amount for a Biturbo.

I have, but it was brand new. wink   If you feel like you just to have one these, this may be THE one to get.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/12/22 7:04 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EijXgFUA2uqVwP2CeZ5lDFpsgSArTcy9K877H12wlookKfZTrKe6uFmJ4XBLGrPD