ss
ss New Reader
10/10/11 10:06 a.m.

http://youtu.be/zUl-4BPLgfQ

Found this on the PTE site shopping turbo options for the mirage.

from the site, "The only thing better than an Ariel Atom is a faster Ariel Atom" reads a quote on rspatom.com, a website featuring Scott Hodges' Ariel Atom 3 which is powered by a 9.7:1-compression Honda K20 motor.

Built by Real Street Performance and designed specifically to house their RSP Turbo System, this Atom features a Precision 6262 CEA ball bearing turbocharger, custom RSP manifold, downpipe and intercooler/piping, custom JE billet FSR pistons, Carrillo Pro H-Beam connecting rods with Carr bolts, a complete Ferrea valvetrain and Injector Dynamics ID1000 fuel injectors. Engine management is handled by a MoTeC M800 ECU system and SDL3 digital dashboard. Additionally, a modified gearing and tire package helps effectively transfer power to pavement.

Weighing in at a scant 1,375lbs (1,550lbs including driver and fuel), Hodge’s RSP Atom currently makes approximately 600 horsepower at 20psi on 93-octane pump gas which makes it the fastest Ariel Atom in the world!

Primarily used for fun, traction control components have been ordered and the team is currently discussing reworking the fuel system in hopes to turn up the boost on race fuel or ethanol in the near future as it’s currently close to maxing out capacity – they hope to make 750-800 horsepower and we’re confident that they will hit their goal!

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
10/10/11 10:34 a.m.

Mark Donahue would be proud.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
10/10/11 11:34 a.m.

So did they fix the wheel bearings/uprights and poor geometry for the bellcranks on the shocks?

Or did they just add more power and hope for the best?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
10/10/11 11:37 a.m.
turboswede wrote: So did they fix the wheel bearings/uprights and poor geometry for the bellcranks on the shocks? Or did they just add more power and hope for the best?

The guys at Ariel must send Jeremy Clarkson a giftbag full of blowjobs every Christmas. POOOOWWWWEERRRRR!

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
10/10/11 12:05 p.m.

Sounds like they're having trouble getting all that power to the ground. Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
10/10/11 1:53 p.m.

Doesn't matter, it's still awesome-sauce! LOL Sometimes too much is just right.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/10/11 2:24 p.m.

Very undramatic footage. I expected more

unevolved
unevolved Dork
10/10/11 3:13 p.m.

It's one thing to put too much power in a car that can't handle it for E36 M3s and giggles, it's another thing to put too much power in a car that can't handle it and sell it as an engineered solution.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
10/10/11 3:15 p.m.

The V8 Atom wasn't looney enough for them? In the V8 one, the crack it smokes snorts heroin.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/10/11 8:31 p.m.

laughed in the video watching boost peak and the nose pick way up then the guys head forced back over and over and over again haha

looks fun

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
10/10/11 10:28 p.m.

He didn't use his turn signal...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
10/10/11 10:38 p.m.

He blew a stop sign or two, as well.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
10/11/11 2:37 p.m.
turboswede wrote: So did they fix the wheel bearings/uprights and poor geometry for the bellcranks on the shocks? Or did they just add more power and hope for the best?

I hadn't heard of these problems! Not that I'm in the market for an atom, being a cheap bastard, but what are the details? That way I don't feel so bad about not having one.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
10/11/11 5:05 p.m.

read up on dpcars.net under their Atom V8 and the issues they discovered with it after they starting pushing it.

I suspect that Ariel have made changes since then, but something to be aware of if you're going to be pushing it on the track.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/11/11 5:33 p.m.

The dp Atom that "they" (ie, Dennis) developed now lives in Grand Junction. Not something I'd expect in our little ranching town. Then again, neither is Flyin' Miata...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
10/11/11 8:41 p.m.
ss wrote: Weighing in at a scant 1,375lbs

How can it weigh that much? You can see through it for pete's sake.

That is exactly what my Fiat weighed on a trucking scale when I got it on the road and it seats 4 and has glass and doors and heat and a roof and is almost like a real car compared to the atom.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/11/11 10:11 p.m.

Atoms are surprisingly big.

Still, old cars can surprise you. There's only about 150 lbs between my Locost and my Mini, and one is a real car!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UrRlgUGX9BZ2fqVCGVhhTOkESvPAhQtzDstwEam2cm5QoxvCytV2EZvfTdYdPUOw