1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/5/15 6:13 p.m.

You have to add up what you have in the Prius. Then you're getting a $6000 Suburban? You could sell the Suburban and end up with how much cash?

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
2/5/15 7:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: You have to add up what you have in the Prius. Then you're getting a $6000 Suburban? You could sell the Suburban and end up with how much cash?

After taxes and registration, I'd be looking at just a few hundred short of doubling what I currently have in the Prius if I sold the Suburban for $6k.

I'm supposed to be meeting with the Suburban guy on Saturday to go over the cars a bit more closely and hopefully make the trade official. :)

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/5/15 7:14 p.m.

Wow! What an interesting thread! A. Why would anyone buy a Prius or a Volt in the first place? Tree hugger? B. Why would that same person, tree hugger, now consider the polar opposite considering how wasteful a vehicle as the Suburban and similar vehicles obviously are? C. Is anyone aware of the huge variation in gasoline and diesel price swings? D. Does anyone even think fuel prices will stay this low for months, much less years??!!

To my mind at least, we are talking about trading one miserable ride choice for another. Aren't there thousands of better alternatives out there?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/5/15 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Rupert:

Prius was bought to flip for profit. Suburban will be the same. Personal preference of the OP is irrelevant.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/5/15 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog: OK? I guess.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
2/5/15 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Rupert:

Junkyard_Dog is correct- the Prius was bought for a song and fixed up to be used as a temporary vehicle while I worked on SWMBO's car (since she can't drive a manual) and then sold for as much as I could. It's an interesting car- if I were getting a vehicle to keep and drive consistently I'd take the Prius over the 'Burban any day, but I'm in the minority around here so trading it for a big SUV that will probably sell more quickly- and for more money- is fine with me. I'll just not drive the 'Burban around like I have been the Prius when I do have to drive- ironically the D will probably get better mileage and be worlds easier to park...

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/6/15 6:25 a.m.

Do it, after a thorough inspection of course.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/6/15 6:31 a.m.
Rupert wrote: Wow! What an interesting thread! A. Why would anyone buy a Prius or a Volt in the first place? Tree hugger? B. Why would that same person, tree hugger, now consider the polar opposite considering how wasteful a vehicle as the Suburban and similar vehicles obviously are? C. Is anyone aware of the huge variation in gasoline and diesel price swings? D. Does anyone even think fuel prices will stay this low for months, much less years??!! To my mind at least, we are talking about trading one miserable ride choice for another. Aren't there thousands of better alternatives out there?

In a vacuum maybe you're right, but in real life, not so much. I'm in the process of doing exactly what's talked about in this thread. Turning my 2010 Prius into a 2010ish Suburban. I bought my Prius last summer. I had just moved to Atlanta and faced a 50 mile each way commute...the afternoon version of which was through rush hour traffic. Gas prices were $3.39/gallon, I have very little free time to wrench on cars and modest skills. I needed a car that was dead nuts reliable, ultra fuel efficient, good in heavy traffic and a comfortable place to spend 3+ hours a day in. All for around $10k. With those criteria, you won't find a much better alternative than the Prius. It's boring as E36 M3, yes, but damn good at doing what it does best. I now work from home and will be for the foreseeable future. Prius isn't needed as much as it was. Our family truckster minivan is getting tired...wife wants a Suburban. We've got 3 kids, and I could use towing capability. Voila, perfect fit for the Suburban. So minivan and Prius out...Suburban and ???? in.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
2/6/15 9:08 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Mitchell wrote: People are about to get that income tax swag. I think a Burban will be a lot easier to sell.
This. People who rely on a tax check windfall to buy a new ride aren't the types who buy Prii. Extra $$ if you can score a set of 22s from a broke homie to throw on it.

You mean something like this? :P http://lexington.craigslist.org/pts/4861106104.html

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
2/9/15 9:09 a.m.

So, never heard back from the guy with the Suburban on Saturday. Texted him yesteday to find out what was going on, have gotten no response. And checking it looks like the listing for the Suburban has been taken down, so I'd say there's a decent chance that he sold it over the weekend. Which is fine- but I'd appreciate the courtesy of a response saying as much...

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
2/9/15 11:11 a.m.

Courtesy and Craigslist, choose one or the other.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/9/15 11:15 a.m.
Harvey wrote: Courtesy and Craigslist, choose one or the other.

Yea pretty much this.

I have a guy that I was looking at his WRX with a blown motor, as a project. I made him an offer and he won't reply. I don't care if he wants to tell me to get lost or whatever, but at least reply so that I know that you got my text. I have texted him 3 times and not a single reply.

I always thank people for getting back to me, even if they say it's gone. That way I know to move on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tZI1jYhMStyWx25rBZuqLdVqHoqAaAjob5lCkIQ56i8ll5Cv4dBhJflxDELWLemg