1 2
integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/3/08 2:11 p.m.

sorry about that. Yes, the smaller Audi is available in the U.S., in certain markets...but you need to hurry if you want one. It's on sale in the "miscellaneous" section of your nearest ALDI grocery store. Oh, and you better like white, that's the only color I saw.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/3/08 2:41 p.m.

eww ugly

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/3/08 2:42 p.m.

Really? I thought they were no longer being produced...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/3/08 2:46 p.m.

"....I thought they were no longer being produced..."

Duh, that's why I posted this idiotic topic. Irony...what a concept?

And yeah, of all the recent Audi's, the A2 is not their best work. If I had the money and wanted a small Audi I'd find a way to import an A1. Now there's an interesting small car.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
11/3/08 3:59 p.m.

It looks like an egg with an Audi grill and wheels.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
11/3/08 4:26 p.m.

I didn't know audi made the prius

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
11/3/08 5:00 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I didn't know audi made the prius

no no no, THEY make the other ugly Prius

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
11/3/08 11:50 p.m.

Im kinda confused...ALDI sells Audi?

Joey

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
11/4/08 8:04 a.m.

From the "cars with facial expressions" department:

"I'm a sad puppy, give me hugs!"

Jay
Jay HalfDork
11/4/08 8:45 a.m.

Fun fact: ALDI is a German supermarket and here it is considered the sketchiest of sketchy. They've been cited by the food & health ministry several times for selling rotten goods, stuff way past its expiry date, and generally being unsanitary. I don't think anyone who's not on welfare goes there. I had no idea you guys in the U.S. had them.

J

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
11/4/08 9:00 a.m.

Hell Lansing has TWO!

Hal
Hal HalfDork
11/4/08 9:17 a.m.

Necer heard of the store until last Friday. Saw a new one in Charlestown, WV on my way to Summit Point.

As for the car, it looks too much like a Prius for me to even think about buying one.

dean1484
dean1484 HalfDork
11/4/08 9:55 a.m.

First impression? The urge to see it crushed by a monster truck!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/4/08 10:28 a.m.

I LOVE ALDI. In Spain it was called LIDL, and it was equally as awesome. a Liter of wine was .99 euro!

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
11/4/08 10:56 a.m.

I had never heard of ALDI until a few days ago. There's a building going up in a local strip mall, so I asked one of the workers there what it was going to be. ALDI foods.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/4/08 11:07 a.m.

Here in Memphis there are 4 or 5 of them, I don't go there unless I REALLY need to. The "hook" to the stores is that their produce is supposed to be pretty good, and the prices are held down because of minimal overhead. Whenever I visit one there are only 1 or 2 employees visible in the whole store. They also keep the number of different items they sell to under 900 versus a "normal" grocery store's 3,000 to 5,000.

They do have neat stuff on sale (it changes every week) under the "miscellaneous" category. My Mom wanted a 3 tier cookie cooling rack that she saw "somewhere"...it was at Aldi, so I got it for her, it cost all of $6.00.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with this store...

Jay
Jay HalfDork
11/4/08 11:29 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: I LOVE ALDI. In Spain it was called LIDL, and it was equally as awesome. a Liter of wine was .99 euro!

Lidl is a totally separate company. (Also German.) They're having a little turf war over here, where one exists the other WILL set up shop within half a kilometer. I do shop at Lidl sometimes, just not for "fresh" veggies because they really aren't.

Maybe I'm picky, but one time I went in the Aldi that is across the street from the Lidl near me and it was unnervingly nasty.

I can't believe I'm discussing German budget supermarkets on this board, haha.

J

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/4/08 3:16 p.m.

Now I get it! I thought ALDI was a AUDI typo...

If its not obvious to everyone now: "Capt. Slow" is not just in reference to my driving...

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/4/08 10:04 p.m.

I read in an article about ALDI stores somewhere that there are two DIFFERENT ALDI store chains. One was started in northern Germany and the other in another part of Germany. Since I don't remember the whole article, I can't rmember if the founders of the 2 different ALDI chains were related or not.

I'm wondering if this isn't sort of like the old grocery store chain called ACME and another/or the same chain, that went by the name of American Stores?

BTW, I apologize for purposely confusing folks with this post. I thought it was a shame (as a former Audi owner) that we in the 'states can't get all the cars that this manufacturer builds/sells. Is the A2 available in Canada?

Carson
Carson Reader
11/5/08 9:17 a.m.
Jay wrote: Fun fact: ALDI is a German supermarket and here it is considered the sketchiest of sketchy. They've been cited by the food & health ministry several times for selling rotten goods, stuff way past its expiry date, and generally being unsanitary. I don't think anyone who's not on welfare goes there. I had no idea you guys in the U.S. had them. J

That's how it's considered around here too.

ejwoody
ejwoody None
11/13/08 7:31 p.m.

It was the first five-door vehicle on sale in Europe whose average fuel consumption is less than 3 L/100 km (94 mpg-imp/78 mpg-US), although these figures only applied to a special "3L" version with a diesel engine and narrower tyres. Due to the construction, the average A2 weighs less than 1000 kg (2200 lb).------ from the link provided. 1.2l tdi weak, but crazy efficient.

audi's planning on bringing most of the TDI's available in europe over to the states in the near future tho so id wait for the bigger cars to come out, unless you reeeaally want 80mpgs without having the hassle of big batteries and all that comes with a hybrid (none of which achieve the efficiency of small turbo diesels)

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/13/08 7:39 p.m.

I usually go to Aldi's once a year, around Christmas. They have good sales. Got a bunch of big MegaBlox kits (the cheap lego knockoff) for 5 or 10 bucks.

etron
etron None
7/14/12 8:11 a.m.

I wish A2s were available in the US. Except for the Flex, it's the weirdest minivan.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/14/12 8:29 a.m.

Zombie thread from Nov 13, 2008 or over 3.5 years ago.
Welcome to etron and congrats on your first posting???

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
7/14/12 10:14 a.m.
integraguy wrote: I read in an article about ALDI stores somewhere that there are two DIFFERENT ALDI store chains. One was started in northern Germany and the other in another part of Germany. Since I don't remember the whole article, I can't rmember if the founders of the 2 different ALDI chains were related or not.

IIRC they are related - the original ALDI company split into two in 1960. As Jay said, they're not exactly a top of the range store (more like the German equivalent of a Dollar Store) but still popular in Germany.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LNKl7uiIC1kNAKdh9GgW24CJ7WgT1cXeImTfRMRaiSAZ6PK52wwg9hTilqnvLeUP