1 2
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
3/2/23 4:35 p.m.

When the clutch went on my Cayman is happened suddenly and with no warning. I was going off of a light and on to an on ramp and when I reached for third I could not make it go into gear. I pulled over and turned the car off and it went into all gears just fine. I had enough clutch to get going in first and power shifted into work.

I still did not know that the clutch went so I bled the system and still nothing. As long as I selected first or reverse with the engine off I could get the car to move just barely after I started it.

I had the clutch replaced and all is good.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
3/4/23 4:58 p.m.

Well I bled and filled the system, turns out the clutch does run off the brake reservoir. I put a clamp on the slave cylinder line and pushed the clutch which was rock hard, meaning the master cylinder is fine. Removing the slave cylinder didn't reveal anything, it all seemed to work. I'll buy the car on monday so I can get it into a garage, then will separate the engine and transmission to get a good look at the clutch. I believe the clutch fork is the issue, probably worn through. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/4/23 5:06 p.m.

A lot of times you can get a bore scope and see if the fork moves. 

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
3/4/23 10:27 p.m.

Right, will probably try that first. Would it be a crazy idea to try and manually actuate the fork with the engine running, just to see if the slave cylinder doesn't extend enough to fully disengage? I have the slave out and could push the fork manually with a rod or something. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
3/4/23 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Leviathan888 :

I think it would require an insane amount of force. Like impossible. And if the rod slips and hits the pressure plate or something you will have a bad day. 

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
3/4/23 11:47 p.m.

Yeah, my better judgment is leaning away from that idea!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OGft9qfAKFZXe0SiM06IAtpgSmt35C7gyO1cZ6E7QJrbC2kBj1ls82CELvTsnNAL