Hal
Hal SuperDork
4/29/15 3:45 p.m.

Anybody have or have used an Autel MD802 scanner? I need to get a new scanner, the one I got back in 2002 for use on my Focus won't read the newer vehicles we have.

I want a self-contained scanner that will handle most vehicles and also read the ABS and SRS systems. Being able to read live data is required and being able to record it would be nice.

I am open to other suggestions but don't want a laptop based system (don't have a laptop).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
4/29/15 3:56 p.m.

I bought the AL519, the color screen is a gimmic, but it's been handy. I bought it for VW CAN-Bus and OBDII. It worked to read and clear codes on our TDI Jetta, but it couldn't decipher what they were, still needed the Bentley Manual and/or Google search to find out what the VW specific codes were.

It has identified every GM and Volvo code I've used it for though.

Doesn't do SRS or ABS, but it's the dumber brother of the one you're looking at. Does live data, I don't recall if it stores it though. It does store codes.

I don't know if it matters or not, but I discovered that the Harbor Freight scanners are (were) Autel scanners with a different sticker on them.

The next one up from mine, the AL619, does everything mine does plus ABS and SRS, it's $134 on Amazon right now.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
4/30/15 2:39 p.m.

The AL619 is the other one I was looking at. I need to compare the two to see if there are additional features on the MD802 that I want/need.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
4/30/15 7:31 p.m.

I sell 'em and I love 'em. Be aware there are Chinese Autel and US Autel. The HF rebadges and many of the cheapies on Amazon don't fully support our market and can't be updated as easily. Also the help desk is in China not Brooklyn, though both have thick accents

The official US website is http://autel.us/. If the product isn't on their list it isn't for this market and has zero support. If you buy a non-supported product and try to call them for help (like when you can't read simple VW specific codes*) they will ask for your serial number and then laugh if it isn't on their list.

Lastly, ANY scan tool that comes with a USB cable should be registered and fully updated before use. Updates are no longer for the latest model year. There is so much ever-changing information to cover out there they need to be constantly updated like a phone or PC. Between the time they were made and the time they landed in your hand could be months and any patches will be hopelessly out of date.

Hope this helps.

*FWIW I have several customers who buy Autel over VAGcom because the VW software is that good.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
4/30/15 8:48 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: I sell 'em and I love 'em. Be aware there are Chinese Autel and US Autel. The HF rebadges and many of the cheapies on Amazon don't fully support our market and can't be updated as easily. Also the help desk is in China not Brooklyn, though both have thick accents If you buy a non-supported product and try to call them for help (like when you can't read simple VW specific codes*) *FWIW I have several customers who buy Autel over VAGcom because the VW software is that good.

I bought it instead of VCDS (VAGcom) because I'm poor (a tight ass). Mine came from Amazon, don't know if it's US or Chinese? It read the VW codes, gave me the code, cleared the code when I repaired the issue. The code just wasn't in its library to tell me what it was, which isn't really an issue if you've got a decent manual or the internet.

Mine came with a CD and USB cable, but I've never gotten my laptop to recognize it when it's plugged into any USB port. The firmware was already the latest version when I got it, but I haven't checked for updates in over a year, doesn't matter I guess since I can't get it to communicate with a PC anyway, and it's well out of warranty.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
5/1/15 5:35 p.m.

Thanks for the info.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/12/22 7:20 a.m.

After a career of Snap-On and OE diag tools I bought a MD908BT last year and I have to say it's weird but phenomenonal. Cannot recommend Autel enough. Match the tool to your goals not your current skill level. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R0CdEEKhquAG0ml06o6Cmo2JOmQoxYVPJH6NzJXw2dvGxoepDhsCgMHqPkuR2NlA