GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
7/26/12 8:27 a.m.

My dad's X-trail has some problems with an auto trans, the only things I know about them are that they choose gears like a retarded monkey, turn a lot of your car's energy into heat, use planetary gearsets in some complicated M.C. Escher arrangement, and should be swapped out as soon as possible.

He says that it's been doing this thing for a while where if he comes to a hard stop the engine nearly stalls, and now yesterday for the second time the engine has revved high without the car moving. It's a fairly new car that's been well-maintained and hasn't been put through anything unusual other than a couple of offroad trips. Any ideas?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
7/26/12 9:05 a.m.

Sounds like it needs a torque converter, but I don't know much about automatic transmissions. I swapped my truck to a manual when the automatic started acting up.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
7/26/12 9:10 a.m.

I didn't even know what an X-Trail was until I googled it. .

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/26/12 11:34 a.m.

Never offerred in the US. I'd never heard of it either.

And I agree with the torque converter diagnosis.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/26/12 4:04 p.m.

X-Trail is a Nissan Small SUV that was offered in Canada but not US in N.America.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/26/12 4:17 p.m.

is it primarily FWD? or does it use a similar style RWD setup to the xterra?

reason i ask is because mine has done that before, supposedly it could be slightly low trans fluid, but i never did anything (you have to loosen a 10mm bolt to pull the trans dipstick, wtf!) and mine has been fine since. mine will idle down really low sometimes, but i've just chalked it up to the schizophrenic nissan engine management. "yes, lets have a voltage regulator, and THEN lets make up some other crap to manage power that breaks and cripples the entire car. Oh, and lets make this glorified fuse block cost a friggin arm and a leg!" idiots.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
7/26/12 4:23 p.m.

Primarily FWD like the other "sport cutes". I believe they're mostly Altima (maxima?) under the skin. 2.5L 4cyl.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
7/27/12 7:29 a.m.

Yeah this is a primarily FWD AWD system, like the old "4WD" corolla wagons. I checked the ATF level yesterday and it was half way between the low and high marks. I could try topping it up all the way to the high mark and see if that changes anything.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/28/12 8:57 a.m.

Does it have a CVT like so many of the Nissans do.? If it is the usual automatic, often a fluid and filter change will work wonders.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
7/28/12 9:01 a.m.

Nope regular auto. Went into the shop yesterday so I'll update this thread when I find out what it was.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Af3JPH9G3mmZtQ3I4kvqoscKG4uXODHFGBJByBaxoonE1f27Y8ulGy3ptX7v8tN