1 2
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/14/10 10:37 p.m.
miwifri wrote: Using an automatic transmission in a Miata is like trying to have sex through a shower curtain.

Wow, that was much too graphic!

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/15/10 7:45 a.m.
Dont turbos work better with autos, as in you don't let off the gas when you shift?

As a former transmission rebuilder, i think the proper way to ask that question is:

Dont autos break better with turbos, since you dont let off the gas when you shift?

anyway.. I know there is an exception to every rule,and just like there is probably someone out there who put a snowplow on their miata, there is probably someone out there who will buy an automatic miata and STILL intend to use it as a driver's car instead of one of as one of the single worst cruiser convertibles ever built.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
5/26/10 9:17 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

the off the seat issue was in a jeep Cherokee with a stiff clutch. ( or at least stiff ish)

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
5/26/10 9:38 a.m.

ok so it seems like the basic answer is automatic miatas suck. I am a wimp. teach my wife to drive a stick ( she can). or at least get her to try one before I write it off.

but if I must have a an auto

the are no worse than any other auto and I am still better off with it than a toayat camry auto dont get a 1.6. do save up for a turbo ( he he) the have typical Japanese reliability, they are not that rare.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/26/10 10:36 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Dont turbos work better with autos, as in you don't let off the gas when you shift? My constructive $.02

Wait... on a turbo car, you're supposed to let off the gas when you shift?

DAMMIT.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
5/27/10 12:23 p.m.

The only way I would want a auto trans in a miata is if it were bolted to a V8 motor (an then an auto would still be my second choice).

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
5/27/10 6:47 p.m.

I don't drive stick for an assortment of reasons, not the least of which is where I live there are too many dam speed bumps and stop signs.
I could drive a stick if I really wanted to, but it holds no interest to me. yes it is fun to down shift on demand, but I can do that on an auto as well.
The reason an auto miata is a kill joy is because it lacks the torque that works well with an auto trans (my opinion).
All my cars are automatic these days, my S13 is automatic, as is my dad's Del Sol Si. nothing wrong with em, plus they are cheaper to buy than the stick ones.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/27/10 9:35 p.m.

I think a supercharged auto miata would be a pretty great.. still quick enough to have fun and induce some oversteer, but also driveable for non-stick peeps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vRoEuyzN8f45cGacAdemDhhAIfZdsyf2C3sFYNgOIgMt3wZZlz9OHsSX2nRQpBqy