carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
5/17/12 10:19 p.m.

A while back I was asking about small, light automatic transmissions and how would I control them if it went into a completely different type of vehicle.

Well here's how

http://www.optishift.com/

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
5/18/12 8:29 a.m.

Interesting, lets you turn an auto box into a tunable "tiptronic/sportshift" box. Too bad it only works with those 10 GM & Ford transmissions though.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
5/18/12 8:53 a.m.

I'm a bit surprised it doesn't list working with any of the GM transaxles like the 4T60E etc. Pretty cool though, pricing is reasonable compared to some of the controllers out there.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/18/12 9:02 a.m.

Now, how long before there's a megashift?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
5/18/12 9:04 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Now, how long before there's a megashift?

Since 2009

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60e.html

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
5/18/12 9:50 a.m.

Transaxles are supported. A 4T60E accepts same electronics as a 4L. I just finished up a Compushift II install on the Camaro.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/18/12 10:34 a.m.

Now how long before there's a megaABS or a megaTCS?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/18/12 11:39 a.m.

Suddenly I want to play with my DD. I think with some creative logic/manual override I could get better mileage.

Has anyone used one of these on a lemons car with success?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
5/18/12 11:40 a.m.

I'm wondering if anyone has used one of this in ANY car with any success and how much trouble was it?

Which one of the transmissions listed is the smallest?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/18/12 11:53 a.m.

On the GM side the 4T60/65 is the smallest listed, but still huge. They had a 4T45, which is still way huge for what you are looking for. The Saturn trans (S-series) is probably the smallest GM auto (and still solenoid controlled in the same way) until the newer stuff like the Sonic. Maybe one of the Ford options is really small?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
5/18/12 11:59 a.m.

I didn't know all the numbers, but I'm suspecting all of them are for larger transmissions since I'd guess that's their largest audience.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
5/18/12 12:05 p.m.

Yes. Think of it this way: the 4L60 is what you would find in a 1/2 ton pickup. 4L80 in a 1 ton. It just goes up from there...

I don't see any reason you couldn't use the controller on a small trans that is still controlled in the same way though.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
5/18/12 2:28 p.m.

The controllers are cake. They all simply read TPS and/or MAP as load input and vehicle speed to determine shift timing. Manual inputs are as simple as ignoring the VSS. All in all it's way easier to master than EFI. Tuned right, there ain't no slush. And most of the manufacturers are super easy to work with.

Torque converter engineering is the hardest part of the equation and not cheap.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s7AoKvL7zMAAKI0ndkHDSFe6dLbZe8T8lzEOvJ5ckbq9Olf04LCDgLdY2BkA3bka