einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/11/21 12:27 p.m.

The 5 speed automatic transmission in my 2006 Honda Civic has an annoying trait ... wondering what is wearing out, needs adjustment, etc.  

Upshifts and feel when accelerating from a complete stop are perfectly fine, but if I accelerate from less than a full stop, say from a slow roll, it jolts noticeably when first tipping into the throttle.  Once it does that initial jolt all is fine, but the jolt is quite evident.  

I  did a fluid drain and fill with the specified Honda ATF, and the fluid level both before and after that change were / are spot on.  Not sure what else I can do.  

Suggestions?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/21 3:01 p.m.

Lots of voodoo going on inside, but my guess is that the 1-2 valve is having trouble disengaging.  When you stop, it has enough time (and lower pressure) letting it shift to first.  My wild-ass guess is that you're accelerating before the trans can get to first, then it suddenly downshifts causing a clunk.

Check all of your motor and trans mounts as well.  It could be shifting perfectly normally but the forces are making the engine jump.  I had a lot of cars at the shop that people complained that the transmission clunks when it shifts and they were so happy when I told them that it was a $100 motor mount instead of a $2500 transmission rebuild.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/13/21 11:02 a.m.

Motor mounts are a real possibility, as there is more NVH - particularly at idle - that I think should be normal on this car.  Good heads up, Curtis ... will check that out this upcoming weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xeAuXBxISRNz0wQorEiM8F47PKDuY1KiN0GxFNdAP6JvKSZRgLriPcFcIwpbOWGn