Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
9/5/13 9:12 p.m.

Another "educate me" sort of thread: In the not-so-distant past I've axed about Saab 9-5s, Volvo S60s and ancient Mercedes-Benzes. Much of what I read points to a Saab 9-5 or BMW e46, and my driving experience rules out the Volvo.

Many of the BMWs I see hovering just above my price range are the AWD sort, but I worry that the AWD would really throw a wet blanket on how much fun a 3-series should be to drive. Granted, I live in Minnesota, so AWD makes a certain amount of sense. But I also use winter tires, and it's my contention that winter tires will make a RWD car outperform anything with AWD and all-seasons. That doesn't worry me too much. Should it? I really had a ball driving my Volvo 740 Turbo on Hakkapeliittas in the winter.

Does AWD turn 3-series into Saab 900s in the snow (with all the good and bad that implies)?

And are these cars more maintenance-intensive? I'd already be nervous about going from a VW economy to the BMW level of expense.

My preference would be a nice, simple e46 323i or 325i with plain old RWD and a proper manual gearbox. But if I found an otherwise nice 3-series xi, is that reason enough to pass?

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/5/13 9:53 p.m.

They're nothing special either way.

The only PITA is that there are no cheap front struts for them, the cheapest option is Bilstein HDs. Boo hoo. Other than that, they're just normal 3-series with a New Venture transfer case stuck on the trans and a front diff wedged in the oil pan.

The transfer case is an open planetary diff, so roughly 1/3rd of the torque goes to the front end and 2/3rd goes to the rear. This is intentionally so that the car drives mostly like a rear-driver. You're not going to pull any Lancer Evo IV shenanigans with it, but that's not the car's intent either.

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
9/5/13 11:21 p.m.
Knurled wrote: You're not going to pull any Lancer Evo IV shenanigans with it, but that's not the car's intent either.

I'm not familiar with those. You mean what growing up we called e36 m3-ies?

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
9/5/13 11:33 p.m.

How much do you drive?

I've had my xi for a year and my biggest complaint is the lackluster MPG (granted it's an AWD wagon so it's not going to get Civic mileage.) Otherwise, after changing all the drive line fluids and keeping an eye on the axle boots, it's been great.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/5/13 11:36 p.m.
Strathclyde wrote:
Knurled wrote: You're not going to pull any Lancer Evo IV shenanigans with it, but that's not the car's intent either.
I'm not familiar with those. You mean what growing up we called e36 m3-ies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1aGj7nuMiI

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/5/13 11:37 p.m.

I enjoy my X3 which for conversation is the Outback 3 series, and it's a stick!

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
9/6/13 2:50 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Holy bleep! I intend to do plenty of that, but only in a snow-covered, deserted parking lot.

Who does that on dry pavement!? That's Clarkson-league tire consumption!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/6/13 6:29 a.m.

BMW AWD are rear biased and designed around cars that started as RWD. Unlike most Audi, Sube, etc... that are FWD cars first.

They drive like they ought to, only a wee bit heavier and with some extra things to go wrong someday... in exchange for being able to claw out of a snow bank, hoon a frozen lake or play WRC in your local woods.

If you need AWD for a season out of the year they are great cars. If you don't need it - stick to the RWD version. It's lighter, cheaper, more nimble and otherwise just as good.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/6/13 6:34 a.m.
asterisk wrote: How much do you drive? I've had my xi for a year and my biggest complaint is the lackluster MPG (granted it's an AWD wagon so it's not going to get Civic mileage.) Otherwise, after changing all the drive line fluids and keeping an eye on the axle boots, it's been great.

+1 on axle boots... my wife seems to have a knack for tearing the fronts. Good thing the axles are only $110 or so from rebuilders.

What sort of mileage are you complaining about? Our 325XiT gets around 24 city, and just last week saw 29 highway on a beach trip for the end of summer.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/6/13 7:15 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: +1 on axle boots... my wife seems to have a knack for tearing the fronts. Good thing the axles are only $110 or so from rebuilders.

The only time I've personally seen the axle boots on an -ix get damaged is when the aluminum bolts holding the motor mount to the engine break, allowing the inner joint to overextend.

Yes, aluminum bolts. It's because the block is magnesium, and it made sense to them. OTOH this problem is not limited to the AWD models, so it doesn't count as something special to watch out for.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
9/6/13 7:55 a.m.

I have the X5 which is more the size of a 5 series, but with a manual trans it moves down the road quite nicely. I run proper snows in the winter and it does well in not too deep snow. I believe the 3 series also runs the chain driven transfer case, and the chains do stretch(not expensive but a pain). I have had mine for 3 years and can't think of a car or truck that I would want to replace it with.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j2FKyR5VqKCO0s7b2W0HwL1yB6WA0jHMq1MJgCbLY5phPgp00rBLWFYVLOixAJOJ