RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
1/28/20 10:29 a.m.

Looking for real AWD for winter use along with possible trip to AK

Thoughts

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/28/20 10:45 a.m.

Real meaning 3 lsds?  That would narrow it down to beatish sti, and maybe a grey market celica gt4 Carlos sains or whatever 

_
_ Dork
1/28/20 10:56 a.m.

1) gc Impreza. 2)$5-10,000 in mechanical lsd 3) actual hallucinogenic LSD. 
win?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
1/28/20 2:02 p.m.

Saabaru (Saab 9-2x Turbo) had a mechanical LSD in the rear (2006 - 2008ish).  This is the less ugly twin to the WRX/Impreza.  $5k to $7k buys you a nice one.  The Forester and STI shared can also intechange lots of parts.

$15k buys you a lightly used VW Golf Sportwagen (2017) w/AWD and a 6MT (or DSG).  Used VW Golf Alltracks (lifted version w/slightly more robust suspension) are slightly higher, but probably not by much (mileage, year, etc).  AWD is standard w/the Alltrack and 6MT or DSG are available.  Avoid the pano sunroof (google "pano leak").  The AWD system is a Haldex...electrohydraulic coupling.  Biased FWD, but can transfer up to 100% to the front or back. I get 400 miles a tank with my 6MT alltrack.  Supposedly the Alltrack gas tank is larger.  I've read the Alltrack gas tank is larger, but I've also been told they're the same size. 

_
_ Dork
1/28/20 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

But with a trip to Alaska in the works, he should run away from any Volkswagen products. The last thing you want is to break down in the middle of the Canadian wilderness eh.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/28/20 2:26 p.m.
_ said:

1) gc Impreza. 2)$5-10,000 in mechanical lsd 3) actual hallucinogenic LSD. 
win?

I think it would be easier to start with #3, which makes #1/2 easier to stomach

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/28/20 2:27 p.m.

GMT800 Denali

upload images

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
1/28/20 2:38 p.m.

All three diffs? LC series 100. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
1/28/20 2:43 p.m.

You're in Hummer H3 territory at $15k, probably even whatever package it was that had the selectable lockers.  I think some of the Saab trailblazers and FJ cruisers had lockers too and are drifting down to that range.  In all of those cases prepare to spend money on fuel,  though probably less than it would cost to get a VW check engine light off.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/28/20 4:11 p.m.

My B6 Passat with VR6 and 4Motion AWD is way less than 15K at this point.  Utterly unstoppable in snow and ice.

And the CEL comes and goes on it's own. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/28/20 4:13 p.m.

Alaska? That means the Al-Can, which is gravel, so truck is what you need. Pick whichever domestic 4x4 with locking hubs that you can stomach.

Our Audi A4 Quattro with the stick boogies pretty amazing in wet, but I don't know what the diff situation is. 

cdowd
cdowd Dork
1/28/20 4:16 p.m.

I don't know if you consider it a true awd but you can get  6 speed Acura TL sh-awd in that range.  I got my 13 for around 11k. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/20 4:40 p.m.

you should buy an old tercel and just send it.  Roadkill did the alcan in a ranchero...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/28/20 4:42 p.m.

1988-1991 e30 BMW 325iX.

_
_ Dork
1/28/20 4:52 p.m.

The Acura would be more posh. However, the Tercel would be a story to tell your kids.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
1/28/20 5:09 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

GMT800 Denali

upload images

Going to Alaska? In a Yukon? Denali, even? LMAO. 

But, yeah, this.

Fueled by Caffeine
1/28/20 5:38 p.m.

6 speed awd.. it's calling you..

Fueled by Caffeine
1/28/20 5:43 p.m.

also opposite lock did the alcan..  

volvo wagon, a celica and a tracker

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/alcan-adventure-meet-the-cars-1837763059

Mike
Mike SuperDork
1/28/20 5:43 p.m.

Not sure about your use of "real" in this context.

Like newish? You could get an extremely fresh Ford Ecosport. There are new FWD 2019 listings, but AWD will be used 2018 and 2019 models. I like the Ecosport because it's a current Ford product that was just recently bolted together and carries a factory warranty, so parts should be easy. While it's newish in the USA, we're just getting a mid-cycle refresh. It's been around for years in developing countries, so it is built to developing country road conditions. It can tow 2000lbs in AWD. S trim examples are the cheapest, and if you shop carefully, can be found with a rear-mounted tire carrier. I think you'll want that full-size spare in AK.  MPG is pretty darn good - which is important when your fueling opportunities are spread out and hyperexpensive.
Sample: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/794674050/overview/

Keep in mind, I am apparently the only human in the US who likes them.

Less serious (like, how long do you want to wait in AK for parts?)  but more GRM would be a 996 C4 Automatic. If you get the slushbox, there's a chance you'll hit your budget.

EDIT: Removed wrong part about wheels swapping with Focus. I'll need to double-check to see what they swap with - I know I'd found something OEM Ford.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
1/28/20 6:27 p.m.

Interesting replies

Thanks

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
1/28/20 7:46 p.m.

Aahhh, just as a point, the Alaska highway is not gravel.  I've driven it lots of times, one of which was in my old 924.  No problem.  My sister has driven it several times in the winter in her Kia Spectra.  Snow tires is all ya' need. 

On that note, it's a funny thing.  In Calgary everyone thinks they need a full size 4x4 for the winter.  In the Yukon, most people drive 2wd cars.... 

kellym
kellym New Reader
1/28/20 10:30 p.m.

Toyota FJZ 80 or 100 series 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/28/20 10:46 p.m.

There's a reason Subarus dominate winter rally events and are all over the place in localities with frequent winter weather. 

And you can buy practically any Subaru a few years old for under $15k, really, short of an STi. 

Sure, open diffs. My WRX on wintersports had endless grip in any winter conditions up until it high-centered. I never felt the need for LSDs. It's a simple AWD setup that works perfectly. Far better than haldex-equipped cars I've driven in the snow. 

the reality is, any AWD cars will do just fine in any winter roads short of excessive depth, PROVIDED YOU HAVE THE APPROPRIATE TIRES. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/29/20 5:58 a.m.
irish44j said:

There's a reason Subarus dominate winter rally events and are all over the place in localities with frequent winter weather. 

In the US.

And the answer is "Every Subaru sold in the US since 1998 has all wheel drive and they flooded the market with disposably cheap cars that have good handling characteristics"

I remember on forums in the 00s, people from Europe were asking why everyone in the US drove Eclipses and not Evos.  Well, we didn't GET Evos.  And we didn't get turbo Subarus, so the easy button for an Open class car was DSM.

I'm still curious what "real AWD" means.  I've had a Subaru that was not AWD (no center diff, just FWD/4WD like a truck) and it was great in the winter, mostly because it weighd 2800lb.  My 2200lb front drive Golf was better though.   I've had a VWAG product with three open diffs, two of which could be manually locked, and it was okay but the handling was quirky.  Scary, even, at 60-70mph, like the steering had no effect, and it was very nervous unless I locked both diffs, at which point steering went away further.  Currently drive a Haldex equipped Volvo, and it drives extremely well in the winter despite being a 4000lb pig.  Letting HAL control where torque goes means it doesn't wash out when turning and do other hinky things. 

Mike
Mike SuperDork
1/29/20 7:21 a.m.
Sidewayze said:

Aahhh, just as a point, the Alaska highway is not gravel.  I've driven it lots of times, one of which was in my old 924.  No problem.  My sister has driven it several times in the winter in her Kia Spectra.  Snow tires is all ya' need. 

On that note, it's a funny thing.  In Calgary everyone thinks they need a full size 4x4 for the winter.  In the Yukon, most people drive 2wd cars.... 

For some reason (that reason being that it's a bucket list trip for me) I just jumped straight to driving the Dalton in my mind.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ileqQGUifVzcqY9Xa8f7Y6iNuQVjd34bhJ9uWlOAsteGEZ0lRTo3ypGcizbiBzYr