vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/26/22 1:36 p.m.

Anything Mercedes.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/26/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

So a car that was 25k new is slower than a car that was 42k new? Yeah, that does make sense. Fully get not wanting a Miata, but complaining that a 140hp car is slow, seems a smidge obvious. 

On the same wagon as the 911 group here. If you have to know the line intimately, or look at a badge to know the difference, I have no interest. They all look the same to me. I get a GT3 is a track legend. but lets be honest. it looks pretty much just like its brother. or sister. or any of the other 60 siblings in the family. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
11/26/22 2:01 p.m.

Anytime the car is cooler than the owner, it leaves me cold.

Ratted out NB miata with classification tape on the door, some worn out azenis on the back, and a highscool kid at the wheel? Awesome car.

200k Italian supercar driven by a wealth manager who doesn't know how to pop the hood? Boring car.

Any car can be awesome if the owner does cool stuff with it or to it.

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
11/26/22 2:02 p.m.

C8 Corvettes do nothing for me.  The previous 3 generations all had a certain something, the feeling of being a 'stretch goal' for your average Joe, especially after a few years of being on the market.  Even if it wasn't the best, it always punched above it weight.

The current one seems like it will start too expensive, and stay too expensive.  It's now punching at exactly its weight.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/26/22 4:13 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

People have a complete love fest over miata's.  They're not all that, nowhere near the hype.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/26/22 4:23 p.m.
docwyte said:

Miata's.  There, I said it.  I don't fit in them, they're slow and I don't find them charming at all.  

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
11/26/22 4:58 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to lnlogauge :

People have a complete love fest over miata's.  They're not all that, nowhere near the hype.

This. I like the ND RF though. 

And 99% of wagons.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/26/22 5:13 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to lnlogauge :

1) they need another 100hp.

2) Mazda screwed the pooch by not putting a rotary in one.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
11/26/22 5:38 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG:

Part of the reason Miata's have such a following is because they are really well made, simple, and reliable.  A rotary may be simple, but it's definitely not well made, and sure as hell isn't reliable.  

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/26/22 6:59 p.m.

Sorry, I thought this was an opinion piece, not another "defend the Miata" thread.

What do I know, I owned a Fiero.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/26/22 7:50 p.m.

So I'm in the Miata love crowd BUT the thread title was "awesome cars" and I don't view standard Miatas as awesome cars...............they provide awesome amounts of fun for low bucks........

Full disclosure; the reason so many of these cars leave me cold is solely becuase I've driven a couple of rapid single seat race cars. 

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
11/26/22 7:51 p.m.

Anything Jeep.  I tried a couple of times.  There is no like that lasts.  Granted, the newest one I had was made in 1964 . . .

1980s Porsche 911s are basically lightweight luxo-barges with no power.  What's the point (after they were no longer cheap, which would be pre-2008-ish)?  I did some good miles in one on a twisty river road I used to live on, and the immediate thought was that a (non-new) Honda Civic would smoke this thing . . .

The C8 will never grow on me; to echo so many others, it is trying way too hard to play (visually) in Ferrari's game, but with all plastic parts.  Nobody cares if it actually does its job better than everyone else.  Have you ever had a job?  Without hair plugs or implants, you're going nowhere.

Anything Lambo, except for the Miura or the LM002.  I have no gold chains, but I do have gold faucets . . .

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/26/22 8:22 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Honda S2000's. Our shop used to build them when SCCA T3 was a thriving class. I do like the F20C and F22C engine, the 6-speed transmission was like butter to shift and I like the look of the car. But, when you put all of the pieces and parts together, I always thought it made for a terrible diving experience on the street. No interior room, absolutely no interior storage space, a droning exhaust note when at steady rpm and annoying yet wonderful VTEC. It's great on track but sucks on the street. I shouldn't complain as we built and sold a dozen of these T3 cars over the years and maintained several for customers, so they were good for business, but I'd take an NA or NB Miata any day as a DD. Just my opinion.

This. 

Aggressive Honda enthusiasm around here, S2o00s owned: 1 total wreck bought it for the cluster and trans. Miatas owned 6 and loved everyone.  Also, a K24 fixes every Miata problem while adding a slightly less annoying soundtrack to that of the average S2000. 

Vipers sound weird because for 640ish degrees of the crankshaft swing they're firing two cylinders at once 1, 10-9, 4-3, 6-5, 8-7, 2, and often with no crossover in the exhaust. Think two 4.2 I5 engines running side by side in not quite harmony. 

I'll toss one out there I've never driven an NSX without a powerful feeling of indifference. The acceleration is fine, the brakes are good, handle well, they feel valuable but not very special, and certainly no weak-in-the-knees supercar butterflies. They're great sports cars, maybe some people find the 90s Honda "it just works right" thing charming but I can't say I do not with that aesthetic. It'd be a ton better if it were a little bit worse.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/26/22 8:24 p.m.

There's a big difference between cars that one has actually driven that leave one cold and cars that you've read and heard about that give that reaction. If I just look at a C8 Corvette I'm pretty cold, but having driven one and really enjoyed it, I've warmed up to it. I imagine that can work both ways. Would I love the Lamborghini Miura so much if I actually drove one?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/26/22 8:36 p.m.

I never "got" Corvettes.

I've driven lots of sbc powered stuff.

One of my customers bought a '57 fuelie. 

Wow. Poor brakes, terrible steering, marginal handling and a truck transmission but man, what a fun car to drive.

I've never felt a sbc pull like that thing did. Like it had no redline. It never seemed to run out of breath.

Imagine buying the best sledgehammer ever made.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/26/22 8:40 p.m.

Any Audi I've ever driven or ridden in leaves me cold.

I want to like them. I just don't.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/26/22 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

The styling leaves me cold but having driven a couple of NSXs the driving experience is pretty awesome. Note I've only ever driven them on track.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/26/22 9:10 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Somebody say sledgehammer.......?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/26/22 9:21 p.m.

I agree wholeheartedly with the S2000 chillers. I get it, they perform great. I've seen what they can do on track(not from the drivers' seat). But gosh do they suck to drive. Plush and heavy ride like a jag convertible, but without any torque. No thanks.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
11/26/22 10:33 p.m.

Objectively good/great performance cars that do nothing for me.:

• E36 M3. I know they're "better" than the E30, but I just don't care about them ... at all. The E46 is cool. Even the E90. But not the E36.
  • Come to think of it, just about any modern BMW, including the M cars. Objectively great cars, but they hold zero interest to me. I thought maybe the M2 would get me. But then I went with my heart and  ended up forking over a bit more than the price of a new M2 to buy a 35-year-old E30 M3 instead.
  • Boxsters. I know they're great sports cars and they handle great, but meh.
  • Corvettes. I know that any C5 or newer Vette would run circles around me at any racetrack on earth, while also being more reliable and cheaper (except for tires, I guess). But I just don't like them for no real reason. 
LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
11/26/22 10:43 p.m.
wae said:

Maybe it's the fact that they are just so far outside of what my budget could ever dream to be, but Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mclarens, Paganis, Bugattis, and all those types of cars just don't excite me.  They're neat and all, but I just can't drag myself into being at all interested in them.

I have very wealthy "car guy" friends back in Istanbul who own these kinds of cars. The only ones that I really lusted after were the F40 and the BMW M1. Both of these looked like they were built in a shed with lousy paintwork and panel gaps you could throw a cat through. But they seemed genuinely cool. I guess both have that homologation special history.

The other high-end exotics weren't appealing to me at all. 

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/26/22 11:59 p.m.

VTec classic Mini Coopers.   (https://www.superfastminis.com/)

Had followed them for years and when one went for sale about an hour away I drove out to take a test drive.

Driving position was horrible, when going slow it just felt like an old Civic with a gutted interior and strait pipes, and not in the good way.

When you got on it the torque steer would punt you 5ft in either direction. 

Love the idea of them but the implementation left me sour. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/27/22 12:15 a.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

This is why I struggle, between this car and several laps in  Formula Super Vee, if I'm spending anything over 25K for a track car it's going to be a single seater every time.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/27/22 1:10 a.m.

The last time I drove a C5, I was shocked at how uninspiring it felt.  Just big and heavy and the engine didn't have much oomph.

Yeah, it was an auto, but 90% of them are autos and 100% of the ones I have driven before were autos.

Count me in for the "unimpressed by exotics" camp.  They're just silly to me, all low and wide and long wheelbase, which is probably good for the autostrada but all I really lust after are a car's handling capabilities below 50mph or so.  Depending on the car, 100hp might be unusable there, and narrow/short wheelbase is king.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/27/22 3:33 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

This is why I struggle, between this car and several laps in  Formula Super Vee, if I'm spending anything over 25K for a track car it's going to be a single seater every time.

One of these days I'm going to find some other single-seaters to try, but so far the only one I've driven is a Spec Racer Ford.  Blech, no thanks.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8oPsLOIfKSOfFSiFV4DkBTvtitSqgvSy29YJ2Wp5T7DcbzVIi9elT5XQHKznmjpn