1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/16/15 8:58 a.m.

After breaking up with his longtime girlfriend (amicably, apparently) and changing jobs, my brother-in-law decided he'd had enough of his 16-year old. 248,000 mile S-10 Blazer and bought a shiny little midlife crisis machine, a 2004 Miata.

Yeah, and he's 25.

Gotta admit, I'm a bit jealous. He lives out in Phoenix, where the top can stay down almost indefinitely. The car's got 106k on it, just had a timing belt and a bunch of other service done, it's clean and a very pretty shade of purply blue. The only downside is it's an automatic, but B-I-L never had much experience with driving stick, and this one was apparently very clean and well-priced (private seller).

I'm not very well versed in Miatae myself, other than a few NAs I've owned briefly. He lives in an apartment complex and his wrenching skills are limited, but he seems into the new ride. Anyone got any advice for care and feeding of the NB I could pass along? I'll post some pics, too, and I've already invited him to join teh forum.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/16/15 9:31 a.m.

a purple "girly" car with an automatic may not be helpful in finding a new girlfriend....

Should be trouble free, just drive it. Enjoy the Kool-aid.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider HalfDork
2/16/15 9:36 a.m.

At that age it needs the timing belt if not done and I bet it's on the original shocks which are probably worn out. Other than that, Just keep it full of fluids and make sure the top doesn't leak.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/16/15 9:36 a.m.

I was 27 yrs old when I bought my Miata.
I had been dating the same girl for 3.5 years. She would have rather seen the money I had saved up used towards a ring. We remained together another couple of months before I called it off.
I still have the Miata (21 years later.)

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/16/15 9:59 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

I'm sorry.

Although from my understanding, he can now be best e-friends with SFO, who also has a purpley NB now.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/16/15 10:28 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: a purple "girly" car with an automatic may not be helpful in finding a new girlfriend.... Should be trouble free, just drive it. Enjoy the Kool-aid.

No but it will get him a boyfriend.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
2/16/15 10:31 a.m.

my wife and I rented one--a 2002 automatic-- from a used car dealer to go for a drive around lake pepin. It was not as slow as I thought it would be. A few months later I bought a red NA miata from that same dealer. It was the NB that got me introduced to the miata world. I liked the ride so I put NB shocks on my na. I miss that car.BIL will enjoy it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/16/15 10:37 a.m.

Timing belt was done approx 1 year ago, and ATF was changed with the filter about that time, too. Not gonna lie, it's a really pretty ride:

IMG_4865

IMG_4868

IMG_4866

IMG_4869

IMG_4867

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
2/16/15 11:59 a.m.

Have you introduced him to FlyinMiata yet? Maybe a little V8 propulsion might be in order in the near future.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
2/16/15 12:18 p.m.

This story made me laugh, as I did the same thing when I bought my 350Z at 31. Dumped the fiancee at the time, sold my SUV, and bought the car that (she would never have approved of) made me happy. 5 years later, I've still got the car and married my wife, who's 10X the person the EX was or could be. Best decision I've ever made.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/16/15 1:16 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Have you introduced him to FlyinMiata yet? Maybe a little V8 propulsion might be in order in the near future.

Nah, he said the car feels plenty fast with 140-ish HP and only ~2200 pounds.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/16/15 1:37 p.m.

The girlfriend of 3.5 years and I went to Vegas in 1990. I splurged on a 1 day rental of a Miata from those places that rent Ferraris.
Well worth it as I wanted to make sure I could fit and be comfortable. We took that car from the Desert (strip) to snow, all with the top down.

In retrospect, she likely saw the trip as a trial honeymoon. I saw it as trial Miata ownership.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/16/15 1:51 p.m.

In reply to TGMF:

It's been my experience that you should always get the car first. Then, only women who are OK with the car will be attracted to you, so you don't waste your time with the ball busters.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
2/16/15 1:57 p.m.

Quarter life crisis is a thing. I bought my signal yellow MR2 when I was 26. Midlife crisis means Corvette.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/16/15 2:12 p.m.

One of the first things I did when I recovered from asploding my spleen (at 29) was sell my perfectly practical toyota pickup and buy my 95 R-package.

I'm with PeterAK: the technical term is quarter life crisis, thankyouverymuch

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
2/16/15 6:10 p.m.
PeterAK wrote: Quarter life crisis is a thing. I bought my signal yellow MR2 when I was 26. Midlife crisis means Corvette.

1/4 life is bought... mid life is BUILT... berkely a berkleying Corvette

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/16/15 6:33 p.m.

Did he sign up for hairdressing classes also?

asoduk
asoduk Reader
2/16/15 8:34 p.m.

Good for him! I feel bad for people that don't understand the simple pleasures in life, like a miata or really any other toy.

I was fortunate to have had many toys before marriage and to have some toys scare away a few girls. My wife on the other hand seems to like it and doesn't care what I drag home as long as she's got a garage spot and the yard/driveway doesn't look trashy.

Now the miata jokes I've gotten used to: How long have you been a hairdresser? (funny, I got my 2nd miata from a hairdresser) Is the hardest part about having that car coming out of the closet? (I'm not sure where this stereotype comes from as I've never met THAT miata owner)

Which I think are nicer than a Porsche joke I was told by an ex's father: Whats the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine? On the porcupine the pricks are on the outside! (I think he was trying to tell me something)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/16/15 9:33 p.m.
PeterAK wrote: Quarter life crisis is a thing. I bought my signal yellow MR2 when I was 26. Midlife crisis means Corvette.

I bought my first Corvette at 26....no it wasn't anywhere near new.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/16/15 10:12 p.m.
asoduk wrote: Is the hardest part about having that car coming out of the closet?

It's ok, we're not here to judge..

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/17/15 5:39 a.m.

I forgot about quarter life crisis. That was over a decade ago for me. I remember calling my '74 Plymouth Satellite Sebring my "quarter life crisis".

Kids these days.

evildky
evildky Dork
2/17/15 10:24 a.m.

At 40 I just bought a 350Z, so I guess it's my MLC car as the most expensive toy I've bought. It replaced a miata, my 4th one. I've also owned a few MR2's, Z32, Z31, S130 and still own a Z31 and a 240Z. However everyone of these cars had 3 pedals Back on topic a neglected miata should have no trouble reaching 200k miles, with moderate care it'll go indefinitely.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
2/17/15 12:30 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse: It's not a mid-life crisis, since he's not 35 yet (actual mid-point to life expectancy). Remember, our society wants men to drive nice cars when we have the money, since cars are a guy thing.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/17/15 12:48 p.m.

Huh, so that is why I bought my first zx-10r right after I turned 27....hmmm

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/17/15 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42: If you're correct, I suppose I'm coming up on end-life crisis as I'm about 70.

But from who I see on the roads around here, I'm probably still 5 to 10 years too young for a Harley, or a Corvette. Maybe about the right age for a Honda Gull Wing or a new style Challenger.

I guess I'll just continue on with my gray hair, sideburns, string back gloves, & keep driving my little "secretary's car," blue NB. It's great to blow people's "hot" rides away with my NB. I especially enjoy it if they have a woman with them!

And no, other than my wife's in the shower from time to time, I don't wash other people's hair.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2c2hXAgCiiSMn92GvVFk9D4ik2ujYR845HtBVKRmqnrSxmp87s2Cz5K216ZFnt2r