pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/28/22 8:56 p.m.

This has to be a record for a B13 Sentra.

1992 Sentra SE-R

Granted it has less than 500 miles and appears to be flawless.

Hopefully it will raise the value of my car which is identical other than 125k extra miles and janky paint.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/28/22 9:12 p.m.

I never understood the deal - buy a sweet car and never drive it?   Do you just sit in it and imagine how cool it is?   Do you drive it 3 miles then cover it up for another year?  

I had a friend that had a beater '64 Corvette convertible when we were 20 years of age and it didn't run but we'd hang out in the garage drinking and talking about his 'Vette and maybe getting it running.  Is this the same?

I will admit it's a sweet ride but I'd spend $28,000 another way.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/28/22 9:16 p.m.

The internet tells me... 

$13,445 in 1991 is worth $28,007.06 today

Sticker: $13,445
BAT sale price with 6 days to go: $27,188

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/28/22 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I have no idea.  Mine is a 1992 with 126,000 miles.  Thats 4200 a year. 

The one on BAT must have been parked shortly after it was purchased.  I don't get it either...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/28/22 10:33 p.m.

For the record, I drove mine. Often between cones. :)

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/29/22 5:49 a.m.

I bought a new 1991 SE-R exactly like that. I drove it. It is still one of my favorite cars I have ever owned.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/29/22 9:40 a.m.

That's such a strange car to buy and never drive.  I was just out of college when those were new, they were entry level, pocket rocket types of cars.  Not some apex level sports car that was someones 5th car at their 3rd house or something.

David S. Wallens
3/29/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I'd second that emotion. I'd say, status-wise, it wasn't even up there with a GTI 16v. It was no where near as important as a 300ZX, IROC-Z or 5.0. It was, like you said, an entry-level pocket rocket. 

For me, it was the SE-R or an EG Civic Si. The SE-R made more power and came with alloys and a limited-slip diff–even though it was viscous, it was something. Then I scored a screaming lease deal. As a recent college grad, it made sense. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
3/29/22 12:23 p.m.

Mine was also just like the ones pictured.  Loved the car until it started jumping out of 5th gear (a very common problem) and Nissan refused to recognize the defect for all of us who had the problem (but was willing to sell us new trannies).  Still a great car, with a great engine and handling.  One of the great things about it it was that it was invisible - at least compared to my previous Super Red Mk1 MR2 that cops would literally follow me on my way to work (my current MR2 is dark gray).

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/29/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I crossed shopped the SE-R with a 2l 16v GTi and an Integra GS.  I ended up with the 16v GTi...

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/29/22 5:10 p.m.

I raced one of these in Lemons. I wonder if telling that to the grandkids some day will sound like the $1500 Jaguar E type stories now.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/29/22 5:46 p.m.

I am still mad at myself for passing on a one-owner, well-maintained SE-R in the early 00's for about $1k. The clearcoat on the hood was checked and peeling in spots, so I passed on it. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/29/22 7:58 p.m.

My favorite Nissan ever.

David S. Wallens
3/29/22 10:20 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I was coming out of a bad relationship with an A2 Golf so, sadly, the GTI wasn't on the short list. The Protege LX was–hot SSC car at the time. 

NX2000 was interesting–SE-R mechanical but with half-inch-wider wheels–but also carried a price premium. I dug the sleeper looks of the SE-R. Was it just an SE or something else?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yfHiiUORdgw5UGs5GSZ62eZulm1NaWQ0P2vkc0UztOp08qrD3ykVpv3XAs6UYYUk