1 2
759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/19 8:09 p.m.
Grizz said:

Literally all of you are old as dirt.

That's 'Mister Dirt' I'll have you know ...................

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/9/19 8:16 p.m.
aircooled said:

Pardon me sir, you appear to be on my lawn.  I must insist you remove yourself post haste.

cheeky

The reality is that a word means what people think it means. I am sure many languages have a lot of slang words, the amount in American English has to be a bit of a nightmare for people learning the language (e.g. hot, cool, bad, sick...).

Nowhere NEAR as bad as Cockney rhyming slang, where you have to know the slang first so that you can make sense of people speaking the words that rhyme with the slang.

"Shaka, when the walls fell."  "Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra."  ST:TNG predicted the method of common communication by cultural reference.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
2/9/19 8:41 p.m.

I aint got time for all this hibbity bibbity bullE36 M3.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/9/19 9:03 p.m.

Hey, did you guys see that dancing baby ?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
2/9/19 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

this one?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/9/19 9:11 p.m.

when I hear MCM, I think of mine countermeasures. Guess I've been around the Navy too long..

Image result for mine countermeasures ship

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/9/19 10:15 p.m.
Grizz said:

Yeah...you can tell because we know when to and when not to use the word literally.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/9/19 10:20 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

For the record, I’m almost 50 and understood perfectly everything about your post. (I haven’t seen it yet though.)

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
2/9/19 11:24 p.m.

As long as your not throwing 50 shades of darkness...

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
2/9/19 11:30 p.m.

Language. It's a precise tool if wielded well.

I have contended for some time that language is the most important human invention.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/10/19 6:06 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I have contended for some time that language is the most important human invention.

I couldn’t agree more!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/10/19 12:08 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Contraception is a contender.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/10/19 1:31 p.m.
ClemSparks said:
Grizz said:

Yeah...you can tell because we know when to and when not to use the word literally.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/10/19 4:01 p.m.

This thread is a spotlight on why I could not care less if anyone thinks I’m hip or cool.  The only dictionary I care for is Black’s Law Dictionary.  If it’s not in there, I careth not for the word.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/10/19 4:36 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Language is a very powerful vehicle of communication.

And, like most powerful vehicles, the majority are content to turn their brain off and drive on cruise control in the center lane.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
2/10/19 6:14 p.m.
aircooled said:

English

Use it

The propensity for people to make up words to express something that can already be easily expressed is pretty amazing.  English already has a VERY wide selection of words (e.g. propensity).

Hmmmm...would you say we have a "plethora" of words? [/Three Amigos]

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/10/19 6:18 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

This thread is more confusing than when I stumbled into the Interstellar Sledgehammer thread with no context.

Interstellar Sledgehammer?!?!? Tell me more!cheeky

stroker
stroker UltraDork
2/10/19 8:47 p.m.

I haven't seen this much indignation since I professed to being unfamiliar with the term "mosh pit" some years ago.   Makes me feel like Grandpa Simpson...

Death

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/15/19 1:22 p.m.
Knurled. said:
aircooled said:

Pardon me sir, you appear to be on my lawn.  I must insist you remove yourself post haste.

cheeky

The reality is that a word means what people think it means. I am sure many languages have a lot of slang words, the amount in American English has to be a bit of a nightmare for people learning the language (e.g. hot, cool, bad, sick...).

Nowhere NEAR as bad as Cockney rhyming slang, where you have to know the slang first so that you can make sense of people speaking the words that rhyme with the slang.

"Shaka, when the walls fell."  "Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra."  ST:TNG predicted the method of common communication by cultural reference.

Orwellian "Newspeak"

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/15/19 2:31 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Throw Shade from Urban Dictionary 

to talk trash about a friend or aquaintance, to publicly denounce or disrespect. When throwing shade it's immediately obvious to on-lookers that the thrower, and not the throwee, is the bitcy, uncool one. 

In normal language terms it might be to cast darkness or comments of disparaging activity falsely upon someone else.  

Australian is an interesting language. There are many idioms that don't directly translate to US English (or British English) 

Fair Dinkum is another example. 

On top of that, the Australians abreviate EVERYTHING.  Not an abbreviation like initials but just randomly shorten words. A simple sample might be telly for television but it has more to do with just not saying the whole word and implying what the word is in the context of that specific conversation. 

Video sample of Aus abbreviations

Our science team director is straight from Aussieland. I love ribbing him about his speech patterns. I once told him that Aussie's were english that were too lazy to finish their words. He couldn't argue it. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
2/15/19 2:37 p.m.

A couple of the F1 mechanics I used to work with tried to sound "American Southern" and wound up sounding Aussie...

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/15/19 2:43 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

A couple of the F1 mechanics I used to work with tried to sound "American Southern" and wound up sounding Aussie...

I bought a car from someone with a thick Irish brogue, who had lived in Georgia for the prior twenty years.

Easily the most confusing accent/dialect I'd ever encountered.  Not because he was unintelligible, but because hearing such mismatched idioms and accent made my ears go crosseyed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QsRicVMSrQJlYLy9OgRYg87Kl5PYGRH9q3IyuUdC9uzoz96hoFsB1wzZr6W9dvqZ