wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/18/21 4:00 p.m.

Hi, everybody, I've got a '93 Dodge with the 12V Cummins. The VE pump is bad. 

Rock Auto had a rebuilding service in TX. They say it is un-repairable. I'm still waiting for reasons it was determined to be so. 

I've been trying to get in touch with TheHungryDiesel.com for their rebuild service, but they don't return my emails. 

VE pumps seem to have disappeared. Any ideas where I can get one? 

Maybe an industrial supplier?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/21 4:17 p.m.

Industrial VE pumps will be goverened differently and not provide adequate fueling.  Most of them are 1800-rpm things with lower HP ratings.  I suppose if you found one it could be converted to on-road spec, but it may cost more than god.

There have to be thousands of the VE pumps in junkyards.  car-part.com to start.  Maybe LKQ?

There is also the option of a P-pump conversion.  P7100 CONVERSION KIT P-PUMP (cppdiesel.com)   and info here Swapping a VE pump with a P7100 pump | Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com)

Not the easiest or cheapest, but not rocket surgery.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/18/21 4:20 p.m.

Aren't P pump conversions a thing, because that's the desireable one anyway right? Probably expensive, so maybe an option of last resort.

I've seen a few of these old Cummins being parted out on Marketplace recently, I would think there has to be something available.

Edit: Looks like Curtis beat me, and he knows way more than I do anyway.

6/18/21 4:22 p.m.

Thoroughbred
CPP
Industrial Injection
xtreme diesel
pensacola diesel/pensacola fuel injection has some on Ebay right now for $700-ish
HD diesel
Sinister Diesel
Diesel Power Products

There are literally thousands of diesel performance and rebuild folks out there.  Start up the googles.

6/18/21 4:25 p.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:

Aren't P pump conversions a thing, because that's the desireable one anyway right? Probably expensive, so maybe an option of last resort.

I've seen a few of these old Cummins being parted out on Marketplace recently, I would think there has to be something available.

Edit: Looks like Curtis beat me, and he knows way more than I do anyway.

Well... not WAY more :)

The P-pump is the performance choice.  It is nearly limitless.  2150 hp/3350 tq was the most I've seen one do before the billet block exploded.  They are just the easiest to mod and make great power.

The VE pump is no slouch and overkill in the factory low-hp early 5.9s.  They're pretty capable of up to about 400 hp, but it will cost more than a P-pump to do it, and reliability tends to decrease proportionally with how much you ask of it.  For a stock replacement, a VE is a fine unit.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/18/21 5:00 p.m.

I'm kind of invested in the VE pump (already have governor spring, and a stage 1 fuel pin is on the way). 

The P-Pump is sweet,but it is beyond both my desired budget, and power goals. Also, dang heavy, hard to mount in situ, and I'd have to source new fuel lines, and injectors too. This is a last resort.

Thanks Curtis, I'll start digging into those sources.

I have to admit, I'm kind of turned off by the AGGRODIESEL names of some of these companies, but if it gets the job done...

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/18/21 8:13 p.m.

Been there and done that on my 92 Dodge Truck Norris. My pump had a bad cam or something. These guys can fix anything on a VE pump. Anything. And the prices are fair.

Fort Worth Texas, and they do mail order work. Prices were real fine and super quick turnaround, like one day...

http://www.swmetrofuel.com/default.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
617wD6ujHyjdvyP3Ln7LVbxA3cR3KYKXGJnBqDEBMaepzntf0MAn6QLTuUkcUkgV