1 2 3 4
JimS
JimS Reader
1/16/19 9:13 p.m.

I record the auction then fast forward through it until something interesting or different comes up then I stop and watch then ff again then delete it. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/16/19 9:26 p.m.
Javelin said:

These people are supposed to be "experts" in the vehicles...

So uh, if you bored a 426 over by .060 you'd be at 437 maybe? Are there 3x2 intakes for Elephants?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/17/19 1:58 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

The announcer lady was gushing over it being a "documented correct Hemi Orange paint code" yet it's a Plymouth so it would be Tor-Red...

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/17/19 8:51 a.m.

From somebody I do some online racing with.  He went to Mecum Kissimmee for a specific car.  Language is probably NSFW.

https://youtu.be/8__A2mpUkfI

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/17/19 9:20 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Hot rods are a thing that should NOT be sold at BJ, but definitely should be purchased.  I have seen stuff go across there that is way, way too personal a vision to attract a big bidding audience, and go for money that you could easily double or more by parting it out. There was some hideous deuce went last year for way less than the blown big block would cost to build. 

This. 

Custom anything seems to do poorly unless it's a particularly renowned or famous custom car.  Multiple custom trucks went across this recent one and went waaaay under the cost to build.  

It's very hard to do anything custom and expect a profit, but some of those types of vehicles get sold surprisingly cheap relative to the true cost to build.  

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/17/19 9:22 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

I have a Muscle, Classics and Sports Car Trader magazine/paper from 1998 sitting around. This publication was Ohio-only and is literally hundreds of pages of Old Muscle with of course some 3rd and 4th Gen F-bodies, Foxes, SN95s and C4 Corvettes. Almost no cars were over $20k, with most decent Old Muscle $8-15k. 

But you do have to keep in mind that back then decent old muscle was a 30 year old car. The equivalent of buying a 1989 model year car today. I bet you can buy a pretty much perfect 1989 corvette, camaro, mustang, or anything not italian for $8-15k still.

I bet if you look in that same magazine you will see a bunch of restored late 50's cars for stupid money. Especially 55-57 chevys, that are worth less money today. Its the circle of life.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/17/19 10:03 a.m.

What happened to Steve Magnante?  He was on there the last time I watched it (early ‘00s).  He seemed to be highly expert on many cars..esp Mopar.  He was editor of Hot Rod and seemed to have a parallel career path with David Fryburger (I won’t try to spell it).  Fryburger got crazy popular on YouTube but I haven’t seen or heard from Magnante in years.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/17/19 10:56 a.m.
xflowgolf said:

....It's very hard to do anything custom and expect a profit, but some of those types of vehicles get sold surprisingly cheap relative to the true cost to build.  

You are WRONG sir!

I have seen those car building shows!  They build random, fully customized cars, and have NO issues quickly finding someone who was looking for something just like it!  And they make plenty of profit!

cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/17/19 10:59 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

What happened to Steve Magnante?  He was on there the last time I watched it (early ‘00s).  He seemed to be highly expert on many cars..esp Mopar.  He was editor of Hot Rod and seemed to have a parallel career path with David Fryburger (I won’t try to spell it).  Fryburger got crazy popular on YouTube but I haven’t seen or heard from Magnante in years.

He said, "No harm, no foul" about a non-original car one too many times.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/17/19 12:17 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

He's at BJ on the auction block with a microphone in hand doing commentary. I watched him last night. He also still works for MT, hosting Junkyard Gold on MTOD.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/17/19 2:38 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
GCrites80s said:

I have a Muscle, Classics and Sports Car Trader magazine/paper from 1998 sitting around. This publication was Ohio-only and is literally hundreds of pages of Old Muscle with of course some 3rd and 4th Gen F-bodies, Foxes, SN95s and C4 Corvettes. Almost no cars were over $20k, with most decent Old Muscle $8-15k. 

But you do have to keep in mind that back then decent old muscle was a 30 year old car. The equivalent of buying a 1989 model year car today. I bet you can buy a pretty much perfect 1989 corvette, camaro, mustang, or anything not italian for $8-15k still.

I bet if you look in that same magazine you will see a bunch of restored late 50's cars for stupid money. Especially 55-57 chevys, that are worth less money today. Its the circle of life.

I'd have to go back and look at the Tri-Fives in it but it seemed like even they weren't that crazy... but they could have been a bunch of 210s and #3s.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/17/19 8:47 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:
AngryCorvair said:

that makes me angry

That’s disgusting.

Geez, calm down guys.  smiley  It's their money, they can spend it however they want.  Besides, it just makes your Corvairs more valuable.

Not really. People are overspending on them at these auctions. Why I don’t know. A guy bought a “custom” ‘66 Monza Coupe with a 110 and a Powerglide for like $28k in the spring and it was back up for sale with a much, much lower price tag. 

Corvair prices aren’t going to go up because of this. Those guys are going to get a wake up call if they want to sell them again. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/17/19 9:24 p.m.

Couple good buys on custom jeeps  so far 2018 for 28k with very good mid list and low mileage.  A gen 2 convertible thunderbird went cheap as well but condition looked amazing on tv at least. 

Want to to know what the white/blue all option ford GT goes for as its no reserve. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/17/19 10:00 p.m.

Some Fox Mustang milestones tonight... surprise

1984 "GT350" 20th Anniversary 'vert, 587 miles  - $34k

1989 5.0 LX hatch 659 miles, never dealer prepped - $43k

1990 5.0 "7-UP" Anniversary 'vert 24(!)miles - $44k

1993 Cobra R - 500 miles, never dealer prepped - $132k !!

Nice Fox Mustangs have been going up, but I wasn't expecting these kinds of numbers for another decade or so! 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/17/19 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Damn.  I know a guy with a 93 Cobra R he bought new.  It has 50 miles!  

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/18/19 12:39 a.m.

59 Chevrolet Apache $126 500.00

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
1/18/19 2:05 a.m.
Cotton said:

In reply to Rodan :

The funny thing is that, when they were new, you had to have a racing license in order to buy a Cobra R, to prevent exactly that. Ford wanted them raced, not speculated. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/18/19 7:26 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

I knew that about the 1995 Cobra R, was that also true with the '93?

Funny thing, is that the 1993 Cobra R was almost unheard of, even in Mustang circles at the time.  I had an '89 LX that I drag raced, and was big in the Mustang scene at the time, even got published in several magazines.  I never heard about the '93 R until years later.  Of course, the internet was not at all what it is today.  The '95 R was pretty well publicized by comparison.

Matt
Matt New Reader
1/18/19 7:42 a.m.

i tried to buy a Cobra R when new, they were only being sold to "Licensed Racers" as I was told by the dealer. i went down to the dealer and presented my FIA license and they asked for the team name and tax number. "i don't have one" i said, "i'm a privateer". "Let me look into that" he said. a week later he called me and said there weren't any allotted to Canada anyway so I couldn't get one.  Not sure how that worked, but I wasn't about to start calling Ford Canada and getting the corporate run-around.

As a side note, my buddy worked at a Dodge dealer and he was able to Order the Neon ACR - also thought to be for racers only, but he worked there and they special ordered it for him in that bright green colour, stripped out, bare bones. it was a cool car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/18/19 9:35 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

Neat truck, but a 4x4 should have knobbly blackwall tires instead of wide white sidewalls.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/18/19 9:48 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

Neat truck, but a 4x4 should have knobbly blackwall tires instead of wide white sidewalls.

Agreed those white walls are hideous. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/18/19 10:32 a.m.
snailmont5oh said:
Cotton said:

In reply to Rodan :

The funny thing is that, when they were new, you had to have a racing license in order to buy a Cobra R, to prevent exactly that. Ford wanted them raced, not speculated. 

I doubt this guy has a racing license.  Maybe his is a regular Cobra,  but I really thought it was an R.  I know it’s a 93.  I need to go see him soon,  so will check the car out.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/19/19 6:38 p.m.

Is it just me?  The restored cars are going for half of the customs.  Stuff that is ten years old is going for big dough.  The second Mustang ever built went for two thirds of what the built 67 Camaro that followed it.  

This seems wrong, because I agree with that thinking, and that scares me.

Nice to see the Mopar wing cars going for a pittance.  Ugly is ugly.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/19/19 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Agree on all counts.  I expected WAAAY more of the Mustang.  

pirate
pirate Reader
1/19/19 7:59 p.m.

They must be pumping something into the air supply or some I these folks have more money then sense. Prices seem elevated beyond reasonable or maybe I’m just out of touch which is completely possible.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OpwxERsfMeVlbpB5WW8GRYMEUvtGvJWIIWm1yBxaB9NEaFDw6pRMjlPbN9oUWbZM