1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
9/24/11 9:27 a.m.

Just saw the promo during F1 qualifying. Looks like Speed will also be covering some other Aussie V8 races live as well. A rare example of quality race programming amid the ever-expanding pool of loosely car-based reality shows.

http://www.crash.net/v8+supercars/news/173044/1/waltrip_joins_us_tv_coverage_of_bathurst_1000.html

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
9/24/11 10:55 a.m.

whoa what the hell, are pigs flying? did hell freeze over? did something happen twice in a blue moon?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
9/24/11 12:05 p.m.

Darrell Waltrip

Mr. NASCRAP announcing Bathurst oh well, I guess I can turn the volume down and put on some other car sound track instead

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
9/24/11 1:37 p.m.

Check Radio Le Mans they may have an audio stream.

element6
element6 New Reader
9/24/11 3:59 p.m.

i saw that too, why those two are commentating on it are beyond me.

where the hell is Leigh Diffey when you need him who is THE voice for V8 Supercars

ah, SPEED.. continues to disappoint.

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
9/24/11 4:05 p.m.

If you look at the link I posted, it indicates that Diffey will be one of the announcers for the race.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
9/24/11 8:04 p.m.

Sooooo...

I couldn't find a start time for the race. Since Austrailia is about 12 hours ahead of us and the race is supposed to be live....

Will we be watching at 2:00 AM on 10/8/11?

(Just asking.)

In any case it oughta be great!

Rog

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/25/11 6:34 a.m.

I hope Mike Joy puts something suspicious in Darrell's luggage to get him hung up in customs for a few days. Thankfully they aren't dragging DW's sidekick Larry Mac with them so he can 'splain how they are able to drive on the wrong side of the car and such.

From Speed.com

Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion and recent NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee Darrell Waltrip headlines the SPEED broadcast team heading to Australia next month to cover the famed Bathurst 1000 from Mount Panorama in New South Wales, Australia on Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. ET.

Waltrip is joined by NASCAR on FOX boothmate Mike Joy and SPEED announcer Leigh Diffey, a native of Brisbane. Former racer Calvin Fish will work the pits on the 3.9-mile road course as racers compete for the Peter Brock Trophy

element6
element6 New Reader
9/26/11 6:56 a.m.

ah ok i missed that. Still though Darrell Waltrip 'headlines' the broadcast team.

ugh.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/26/11 7:08 a.m.

Having actually been to the race and never missed watching it until I moved here a few viewing points. You need to understand that the hill off Skyline is so steep you have trouble standing on it, the elevation changes are enormous,

Conrod straight is one of the fastest section on any track in the world.

Kangaroos do run onto the track often enough for them to have a flag signal if they are in the vicinity and another when they are on track.

Rain makes huge changes to the race. More than most due to the track becoming a river on the mountain.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
9/26/11 7:31 a.m.

It could be worse: We could have to listen to Michael Waltrip.

Of course, it would only be fractionally worse.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/26/11 7:44 a.m.

Darrell best be letting Leigh Diffey do most of the talking.

He should just be sticking to hollering boogity-boogity-boogity on restarts and then every now and again explaining how this differs from NASCAR for errant fans who stumbled in to the broadcast looking for three or four fat guys arguing over how to assemble a chopper with even taller ape-hangers than last week.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
9/26/11 7:51 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Darrell best be letting Leigh Diffey do most of the talking.

I can't imagine DW letting anyone else do most of the talking.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
9/26/11 7:58 a.m.

OH. HELL. YES.

I fell in love with Bathurst in the first Forza Motorsport (we all gotta start somewhere?). I can't wait to watch this.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
10/8/11 8:10 p.m.

Watching it now... Awesome!!

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/8/11 8:19 p.m.

V8 fans face slab limit at Bathurst 1000 October 6, 2009

V8 fans will again be limited to one slab of beer a day at this year's Bathurst 1000 car race.

Police will be focusing on reducing alcohol-related crime when petrol heads descend upon Mount Panorama, Bathurst, in NSW's central west, this week.

For the third year running, adult race-goers will be limited to bringing one case (24 cans) of full-strength beer or one block (36 cans) of light or mid-strength beer each day. Advertisement: Story continues below

Restrictions also apply to one case (24 cans) of pre-mixed drinks a day or one cask of wine up to four litres.

Combinations of the options will not be allowed.

Assistant Commissioner Alan Clarke said police will not tolerate alcohol-fuelled violence.

"This is one of the greatest motorsport events in Australia and for some it is a pilgrimage that they make every year," Mr Clarke said in a statement on Tuesday.

"Police respect people's rights to enjoy the race weekend, but will promptly act when the law is broken."

Police are also urging people travelling to Bathurst to drive safely and closely monitor their speed and fatigue.

The Bathurst 1000 runs from Thursday to Sunday.

© 2011 AAP

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/8/11 8:22 p.m.

Meanwhile, ol' DW is doing a bang up job, mate. Keep your NASCAR prejudices to yourself.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
10/8/11 8:26 p.m.

Waltrip looked visibly uncomfortable during that ride along. At first I though he was just hamming it up, but I think age/only driving on ovals left him a little unprepared for that track.

Also, apparently Americans only understand NASCAR, so of course everything was comparing the Falcons and Commodores to Cup Cars.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/8/11 8:36 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: OH. HELL. YES. I fell in love with Bathurst in the first Forza Motorsport (we all gotta start somewhere?). I can't wait to watch this.

Bathurst wasn't in Forza. Codemasters had exclusive rights to Aussie V8 Supercar tracks at the time. If I remember right, it was a track called Blue Mountain, and it was kinda similar to Bathurst.

Hal
Hal Dork
10/8/11 9:43 p.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: Waltrip looked visibly uncomfortable during that ride along. At first I though he was just hamming it up, but I think age/only driving on ovals left him a little unprepared for that track.

I think any American driver would be unprepared for that track. We don't have any track in this country that I know of that has that much elevation change. And it looks to be a lot steeper than going into the boot at WG or down the corkscrew at VIR.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
10/8/11 9:46 p.m.

this is way better than watching a replay/tape delay.

I hope this is a sign of things to come from SpeedTV.. more live racing. Heck, more racing would be fine with me.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/8/11 9:47 p.m.

Hell, he's 64 years old. I'm sure that took a lot out of him.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/8/11 9:48 p.m.

Yeah, Speed will be getting a GOOD e-mail from me for this.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
10/8/11 9:55 p.m.

I didn't mean it as a slam against Waltrip. More of "This just shows what racing is really like that a guy that spent his whole life in race cars is very uncomfortable."

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/8/11 10:02 p.m.

I'm just saying that it's a pretty demanding track for someone who hasn't really been in a race car for 7 years, let alone someone who is 64 as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W3olakkcOLnF3BMqPPDkAIVVhERxXMDWASo0au9UbQ00o6XLPqONnHBLhvmPvP1a