1 2
RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/7/14 8:27 p.m.

Okay, so thinking about getting a Caprice has got me thinking: How does the 80's Crown Vic compare?

The comparison would be particularly between a Caprice with a 305 and a Vic with a 5.0, both with 4 speed autos.

The caprice is better looking (IMO) and doesn't ALWAYS have a vinyl roof. The Vic is fuel injected. The 5.0 has a much better rep than the 305, but the AOD seems to have a worse rep than the 700r4.

I'm also curious as to how they compare when it comes to comfort, ride quality, interior space, and tow capacity.

Argue away!

yupididit
yupididit New Reader
3/7/14 8:40 p.m.

Let me tell you my grandmother had an '88 LTD. It had the most comfortable seats ever in car history. The fronts were power adjustable and it had more adjustability than most fully loaded cars now.

It was super easy to drive and it felt like it could haul a little bit of ass. The steering was precise and brakes were solid. The car was well taken care of though.

It was tan with brown cloth interior. Gawd I miss that car.

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
3/7/14 8:45 p.m.

i've had both. i like both.

i had an 89 crown vic with a 5.0 and aod. it had 175k when i bought it for 500, and had 185k when i sold it for 500. the frame rusted under the firewall. my 99 did the same thing, it's a weak point. the thing ran like a champ and had the most massive trunk ever as far as depth goes. i did install a bumper hitch and pull a small 4x8 trailer with it. that was no problem.

i had an 83 caprice with a 305, that was a total dog. it had 120k and at some point an old th350 was swapped in because the 700r4 puked. it started every day and ran everywhere i needed it to go. trunk was also large, but not as deep as the ford. when the frames rot on these they go aft of the rear axle, which is way less scary than the ford, but still sucks. i had a 91 that i picked up for a winter beater, and promptly scrapped because it lacked frame rail between rear wheel and bumper support. the plastic bumper cover held the back of the car together. never towed with the 83 but i did tow with my 91 305 caprice. i pulled an el camino on a flatbed car hauler with it with nothing more than larger 9c1 radiator.

i would buy either again if the body was clean. i prefer general motors so i'd be more inclined to go caprice first, but the vic was a tiny bit nicer inside. both had crappy 80's bench seats but the vic seemed a little less crappy.

pros of the caprice is there is a crapload of aftermarket and stock stuff that bolts on. stock impala ss sway bars are a dime a dozen.

the vic can also take some newer vic cop car bits but i'm not sure just how much.

both have endless wheel and tire combos because they can take mustang, truck, camaro, etc... wheels based on whichever bolt pattern they have(ford 4.5" and chevy 4.75 and 5")

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/7/14 8:46 p.m.

I think the Caprice would be easier to modify, if that's your plan. Suspension upgrades from an Impala SS will work on it, and there's not much you can't do with a small block Chevy. I like the late 70s two doors with the bent glass rear window myself.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/7/14 8:56 p.m.

I'm in NC, I don't think I really need to worry about rust on something from the late 80s unless it's a northern transplant.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
3/7/14 9:01 p.m.

Meh, they all drive like boats.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
3/7/14 9:20 p.m.

I had a 85 Impala with the 305 HO and 700R4, G80 Locker (was a ex Municipal car). One of the best cars I had as a daily driver.

I'd like a 88-90 350 Police model for a rallycross car

Opti
Opti New Reader
3/7/14 11:31 p.m.

Given how many of these were used for police duty and how cheap they are at auctions there is no reason to not go way newer on the crown vic, and throw some mustang bullits on.

The logical answer is crown vic, and I hate ford.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
3/8/14 6:55 a.m.

I've always been a dodge guy, so if you are I the eighties I think the answer is Diplomat. At one time I owned seven and enjoyed them very much lol.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/8/14 7:25 a.m.

I'd say Chevy simply for the cheapness and availability. I never remember seeing half as many box Vics as Caprices in the junkyards. I assume this was due to Chevy nearly cornering the market on police cruisers at the time. All the 9C1 and Impala SS stuff bolts up from the later cars. Who could get exited by a 4.6 out of a P71?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/8/14 8:04 a.m.

For the engine go Chev

For the suspension go Ford

This is simply my opinion

Remember the 351 if you go Ford

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/8/14 8:11 a.m.

thing to remember about the Crown Vic.. if you want -more- comfort and a better interior.. go find a Grand Marquis

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
3/8/14 10:32 a.m.
RoughandReady wrote: I'm in NC, I don't think I really need to worry about rust on something from the late 80s unless it's a northern transplant.

If it's a NC mountain car it could have rust, bad rust depending on how it was cared for with road salt. It would be obvious though. We have some Gov Fleet trucks that are late 90's with holes in the body from road salt because they were not washed off enough in the nooks and crannies after winter. That being said check out GovDeals.com for localish government surplus cars. I see Crown Vics on there all the time.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
3/8/14 5:10 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: thing to remember about the Crown Vic.. if you want -more- comfort and a better interior.. go find a Grand Marquis

If that isn't enough luxury a town car fits the bill too.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
3/8/14 6:46 p.m.

read first post, scrolled down to the fast reply box to say that the answer is "yes"..

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/8/14 6:53 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote:
mad_machine wrote: thing to remember about the Crown Vic.. if you want -more- comfort and a better interior.. go find a Grand Marquis
If that isn't enough luxury a town car fits the bill too.

oh my...

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
3/8/14 6:58 p.m.

Whichever is closest and cheapest!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
3/8/14 7:19 p.m.

Lincoln Town Car 2003+ with P71 stuff bolted on?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/8/14 8:40 p.m.

The idea of a towncar that can do a road course or a 1/4 mile is strangely alluring

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
3/8/14 8:52 p.m.

getting into the 91+ caprice or 92+ vic i'd do b body 7 days a week and 2x on sunday for an LT1 car. boxies are a toss up still, i'd do either.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/8/14 9:46 p.m.

ls400 is the same concept and can be bought for dirt if you shop around a bit.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
3/8/14 9:59 p.m.

Between a boxy b-body and a boxy ford? I'd lean strongly toward the GM. Parts are cheaper, mods are cheaper, and they come in more flavors. Many B-body frames prior to the 91/92 re-do are like G-bodies... drilled with pre-existing holes for other GM mounts. They came with every imaginable tranny including 200, 200C, 200-4r, 700r4, Th350, and 400 slides in easy. That means that any of the modern variants of those trannys are an easy swap. Olds was putting 307s in B-bodies up through 89, Pontiac through 82, and Buick through 78 (I think), so dropping in a 455, 454, caddy 500, or darn near anything made by BOPC is fair game.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
3/9/14 1:27 a.m.

Neither

That is probably my favorite american 90s big car. I like it much more than the 80s equivalents.

Put a T-56 in there for awesomeness.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/9/14 3:12 a.m.

Stock? The Ford(barely). Modified? the Chevy, much better parts binning/performance parts selection.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/9/14 8:09 a.m.

I had the ultra-lux version of the 80s B-body, and loved it. It was my first car however, so the rose-colored glasses never came off.

It was a Caprice Classic Brougham LS. Velour seats that were supremely comfortable front and rear. Mine came with a 307 somehow, single 4bbl carb, and 700r4. It seemed bulletproof. I had it a couple years before rust took over, when it was 15 years old. That was 15 years ago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9HvN6IMwwpsfjWJIDtoLCm55WXn9wxr3Vppf5VJWMSd9RyiRtgN7pzmJmaPtiuPc