mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
11/18/21 4:46 p.m.

I'm rebuilding my CR80 & waiting for the last bearing - a Koyo 6905Z. The Z is a single metal seal on 1 side. Ordered it & it's cleared customs & sitting in Illinois. Since it's the last part I need, I called Napa to try to get one sooner. They can't even cross reference it. So after some google research, the closest SKF version is 61905ZZ. ZZ has 2 metal seals, 1 on each side. They don't make a single that I can find.  
I've removed the rubber seals before  when an old non-sealed bearing couldn't be found. Can the metal seal be removed like the rubber seal to make a single sealed bearing? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/18/21 4:52 p.m.

Does it need to be nonsealed?

I realized that double-sealed bearings should last longer because while they don't get "fresh lube" they also do not get fresh debris.

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
11/18/21 4:59 p.m.

Yes sealed on 1 side, it's the shift drum bearing. Needs transmission oil but the clutch side gets oil from other ports so it would allow too much oil in the clutch area if not sealed.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/18/21 5:12 p.m.

Z stands for "shield" a 6905ZZ would be shielded on both sides. a 6905-2RS would be rubber sealed on both sides and a 6905 with nothing after it will be an open cage.

Yes, you can indeed pop out a shield. It won't come out as easily as a rubber seal but it will come out. Yes it is fine to do so.

Also look for an industrial bearing supplier in your area. I am lucky to have a Mcguire Bearing near me, perhaps you do too?

Auto parts stores are great for car parts but you need an industrial supplier for this kind of stuff. Just don't tell them it is a car or motorcycle part. Give them the ID, OD and thickness. 6905 is super common in the 2RS format and ZZ. The guy at the bearing supply  would have recommended yanking one shield yourself

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/18/21 5:15 p.m.

Double sealed bearings are usually lubed for life, so it shouldn't need access to the trans fluid.

I totally get not wanting to reinvent the wheel.

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
11/18/21 5:40 p.m.

I tried to give him the sizes. He said their system can't do anything with sizes. I'll call tomorrow & see if they can get one soon. 
Panama City is @45 minutes away. I'll look for a bearing house there also. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tHpU9fILn86TWaLkeYJ1HkWWAZFjg5IbZ4cRUeddJ8wX1elKUnPE539xPRRie53y