1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 2:57 p.m.

Been toying with the idea of getting another truck, but I don't need one for daily stuff just hardware store runs and the like. Then the wife and I got to discussing some future plans which actually put her on board with the idea. I had seen this one on ebay and it was close enough to take a look today.. It really caught my eye because of my history with Studebakers.

The photos dont do it justice, its an all original 20,000 mile truck. And somehow it spent its life on farm duty without developing a single bit of rust through and not a single dent or ding anywhere on the body. 1952 2R-16 for those interested in the model specifics. 100 hp flat 6.

I need to flush the fuel system and go through the brakes but otherwise she doesn't need much. I know she has a great history and patina but this will eventually be a full restoration including repaint. Part of me hates to do it, but the part of me that hates rust as a fashion statement is larger so it will get the full treatment.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
2/26/12 2:59 p.m.

Cool truck. Please keep the signwriting if you repaint it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/26/12 3:00 p.m.

Nice score!

Sure would look awesome with a Wartburg on the back....

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
2/26/12 3:02 p.m.

No serious rust because most fifties era cars and trucks were made from steel with a high nickel content, and as an orchard truck it was seldom driven on salted winter roads. The patina is ok, but a period correct repaint will be better. Nice find.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
2/26/12 3:04 p.m.

Repaint the doors with misfit toys racing, hand painted, in a style like whats alteady there.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/26/12 3:05 p.m.

They're only original once!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/26/12 3:26 p.m.

Well done...

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 3:27 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Nice score! Sure would look awesome with a Wartburg on the back....

It would but there's a strong possibility the Wartburg will move down the road soon. Wife and I are working on some new ventures which will give me little time or money for cars for a few years and the cash from it can help finance the other things.

HappyAndy wrote: Repaint the doors with misfit toys racing, hand painted, in a style like whats alteady there.

It will definitely have something re-done on the doors, I thought about just cutting it in vinyl but the era really needs the hand painted touch.

DO NOT. REPEAT. DO NOT...REPAINT!

I once knew of a '70's 4 wheel drive Dodge Power Wagon that was purchased new for farm use. It it looked rough and worn but had only 800 miles on it

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
2/26/12 3:33 p.m.

What a fantastic find! I love it.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
2/26/12 3:41 p.m.

I would have a hard time repainting something that looked that sweet. Yeah yeah rust as fashion but that thing is super sweet!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/26/12 4:27 p.m.

It seems that it did not rust through because it spent it's life in Dryville which must be that arid part of PA.
Too cool.
Does the Smart Car fit in the back?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 4:31 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Does the Smart Car fit in the back?

Haven't tried it but no doubt it would :)

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/26/12 4:33 p.m.

Seems a shame to paint that thing. All this time it's gone without NEEDING bodywork (no accidents) and you're going to disappear that amazing history. Keep it out of the elements and it will easily hold that same look for another 50 years. Making steel rusty on purpose is a fashion statement, kind of like buying brand new jeans with worn out knees and bleached thighs. Keeping an original truck original isn't a fashion statement, it's character...just like that pair of Levi's you've had for a decade that have worn out knees and the color has faded out. Don't let some goofy fad force you to paint this thing...that's being a victim of the fad just as much as making steel rusty on purpose. Ditto for putting an LSx in it!

My .02 bucks. Cool truck, my dad has had a '53 Studebaker longer than I've existed, sitting motionless all that time. I've wanted to bring it back to life for a long time, but it's "his" project and he won't let me touch it. Someday he'll cave!

Bryce

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 4:42 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Seems a shame to paint that thing. All this time it's gone without NEEDING bodywork (no accidents) and you're going to disappear that amazing history. Keep it out of the elements and it will easily hold that same look for another 50 years. Making steel rusty on purpose is a fashion statement, kind of like buying brand new jeans with worn out knees and bleached thighs. Keeping an original truck original isn't a fashion statement, it's character...just like that pair of Levi's you've had for a decade that have worn out knees and the color has faded out. Don't let some goofy fad force you to paint this thing...that's being a victim of the fad just as much as making steel rusty on purpose. Ditto for putting an LSx in it! My .02 bucks. Cool truck, my dad has had a '53 Studebaker longer than I've existed, sitting motionless all that time. I've wanted to bring it back to life for a long time, but it's "his" project and he won't let me touch it. Someday he'll cave! Bryce

No LSx or anthing, it will be mostly stock, with the possible exception of brake upgrades once I see what the current system needs.

The truck will possibly be used for business purposes so while "car guys" can appreciate the history it won't put the best foot forward.

Mechanical resto happens first, and then we'll see where it goes.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
2/26/12 4:59 p.m.

Awesome!!! I would love to have an old big truck like that. I need more space!!!

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
2/26/12 5:07 p.m.

Nice score

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/26/12 5:24 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: They're only original once!

I've never been so much in agreement with anyone evar. Dude. I'm BEGGING you. Please don't paint it. Find a turd to restore. Pretty please.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/26/12 5:26 p.m.

I was aghast at the Wartburg, in a good way. I was envious of the Crown, in the best way. This is something else. I've long dreamt of getting something similar with duallies and a stake bed for a daily(low buy-in, indestructible, looks silly in the city), but really need something that doesn't mind doing 70mph for an hour each day.

Well bought, sir. Survivors like that are a real treasure.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
2/26/12 5:29 p.m.

When I was a little kid growing up in Nescopeck Pa., my dad drove an old Studebaker garbage truck. He likes to tell stories about how the thing used more oil than gas and how hard it was to start on cold mornings.

drmike
drmike Reader
2/26/12 5:34 p.m.

Now that is a truck worth keeping! Nice find.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/26/12 5:39 p.m.

I was in favor of the repaint until I saw the door. That is beautiful, and will definitely make the decision harder. That is the vintage cool that people have been trying to replicate for years, and you've got it. I'd just start a business called "Stony Ridge Orchards" and move to Dryville, PA.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/26/12 5:40 p.m.

I like it! Check out this discussion on the HAMB board, they removed a lot of surface rust from an old car using CLR bathroom cleaner. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520460 Scroll down to post 15.

If the truck has rust through it needs to be addressed, but if it's just surface rust this may work. I'm not a fan of rust 'patina' either, but if it cleans up well enough with the CLR the original paint may be saved.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
2/26/12 6:04 p.m.

I love that!

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
2/26/12 6:27 p.m.

i love the wartburg, and if it doesn't have a new home, i'd at least like a shot.

that truck is amazing and i would love to find one like it

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
urQQ6fvivfJzO0FnI349guqRdYwwBiXKtIK45xBOMPlBO0XtLc6OMIquvOA2vv9z