1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 6:34 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i love the wartburg, and if it doesn't have a new home, i'd at least like a shot. that truck is amazing and i would love to find one like it

Pat, one of my teammates (Littleturquoiseb) has first right of refusal. Be warned its a package deal that comes with the car as seen in GRM, plus the CCW wheels and tires I got from Greg Voth, a 2.0T subie motor with harness and ECU, a full set of seats, front and back from an STI (In blue and black) and whatever else I collected for the next phase of the project. So while it will give the new owner a lot to play with it is decidedly not GRM priced.

The Crown may go on the block too, still debating everything as we make some plans. The crown will be much closer to challenge pricing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
2/26/12 7:13 p.m.

Leaving it original would be cool if you want to sit there and look at it and talk to guys on the internet about how cool it is. Painting it would be way cooler if you actually wanted to use it and not worry that you can't drive it today because the weather isn't appropriate for the preservation of the patina. It's a cool old truck, it would be even cooler if you double the mileage by driving it rather than "preserving" it and only taking it out to show people. I know there is a theoretical middle ground, put saved cars just don't get used and it's a shame. Go drive it.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 7:34 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Leaving it original would be cool if you want to sit there and look at it and talk to guys on the internet about how cool it is. Painting it would be way cooler if you actually wanted to use it and not worry that you can't drive it today because the weather isn't appropriate for the preservation of the patina. It's a cool old truck, it would be even cooler if you double the mileage by driving it rather than "preserving" it and only taking it out to show people. I know there is a theoretical middle ground, put saved cars just don't get used and it's a shame. Go drive it.

Thank you for that. This truck is going back to work. As such it has to put its best face forward to represent the business and it doesn't quite fit in my garage so it will see the elements and lots of miles.

I think you get it :)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
2/26/12 7:39 p.m.

I didn't Studebaker made medium duty trucks. That things just reeks of cool. Check with some Studie folks to see how many are around, and in what condition.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 7:53 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I didn't Studebaker made medium duty trucks. That things just reeks of cool. Check with some Studie folks to see how many are around, and in what condition.

I'm fairly involved with the Stude clubs, I run the local club website among other things. Stude produced a whole range of trucks, this was at the top end of the size scale, same chassis they built their fire trucks on.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
2/26/12 7:54 p.m.

oh god you know how much i love the crown

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 7:57 p.m.
patgizz wrote: oh god you know how much i love the crown

I'll make sure you get a note dropped once the decision is made. She's had a bit of work done to her now and is close to being a very sorted reliable road car at this point (by close I mean I need to go over a few things and just start driving it) She's had new bearings put in the bottom end and all the clutch hydraulics replaced. Very interesting car to drive, very nice and mechanical feeling.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
2/26/12 8:09 p.m.

Nice truck. I would love to roll up to Home Depot or a cruise in with that.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
2/26/12 9:09 p.m.

Real patina is a rare thing. What about a compromise of shooting semi-flat clear over the patina?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/26/12 9:14 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Real patina is a rare thing. What about a compromise of shooting semi-flat clear over the patina?

If I was just using it as a beat to the home depot kind of thing I'd consider it but it will end up being a business fixture so its gotta be pretty.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/26/12 9:17 p.m.

I'd paint it too. Rust is ugly and a truck that straight deserves to look its best.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
2/26/12 10:01 p.m.

What's with you and Wheels finding all the Studes? My wife wouldn't shoot me (at least not fatally) if I brought home a '57-ish Studebaker pickup.

For the business I'd go repaint too. I picked up a clean 11 year old cargo van but really wanted an old Dodge Town Panel. If I found a Town Panel as nice as your Stude I would have snagged it.

Will the business use require you to take that out at highway speeds? Will it keep up? I was doing some homework on the GV OD's. They do have a universal model that would be connected like a divorced transfer case. Might help give the old stake body some longer legs and still be completely reversible.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
2/26/12 10:18 p.m.

I don't mind what you do with it either way, but what about a vinyl wrap? Keep the history untouched underneath.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/26/12 10:42 p.m.

on the website of the "National Apple Museum."

Talk about history.

or this....even their logo has value, apparently

http://www.thelabelman.com/product_info.php?products_id=4458

http://www.shop.com/Stony+Ridge+Orchards+Peaches+Apples+12x18+Giclee+On+Canvas-187119277-p+.xhtml

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/27/12 6:06 a.m.

Nice Truck! I'm with the don't paint it crowd. Flat six? Do you really mean a flat six, or flat head six?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/27/12 6:51 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Will the business use require you to take that out at highway speeds? Will it keep up? I was doing some homework on the GV OD's. They do have a universal model that would be connected like a divorced transfer case. Might help give the old stake body some longer legs and still be completely reversible.

It will no doubt be slow as all hell on the highway but it should be mostly local use. We've discussed that if things grow to needing more distance then I may do a drivetrain swap or (more likely) add a 2nd truck with more highway manners.

I know of at least one person who has added the GV OD to one of these and I'm trying to get in touch to get his opinions. Also I may go the factory route and try to find one of the 2 speed rear ends that were available for these trucks.

bravenrace wrote: Nice Truck! I'm with the don't paint it crowd. Flat six? Do you really mean a flat six, or flat head six?

Sorry, yes, flathead 6, I sometimes forget that there are boxer engines out there :)

bluej
bluej Dork
2/27/12 7:17 a.m.

Maybe take lots o pics of pre-resto condition and keep em in a binder in the glovebox?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/27/12 7:59 a.m.
bluej wrote: Maybe take lots o pics of pre-resto condition and keep em in a binder in the glovebox?

That will definitely happen. And I might even see if I can't source a replacement door so I can keep one of the originals as wall art.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/27/12 8:49 a.m.

Keep her original down to the paint if you can. Thats one nice pick-um-up.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/27/12 10:15 a.m.

500" Caddy, TH400, enjoy the road.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
2/27/12 11:04 a.m.

Awesomeawesomeawesome truck. If it's not too much trouble, drop me a note if Jeff passes on the Wartburg. Despite actually having driven it, I'm at least interested in it.

But congrats on the truck - I know you'll do it right so painting it is not a crime.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
2/27/12 12:01 p.m.

Holy hell, that thing wins at everything forever.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
2/27/12 1:48 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Will the business use require you to take that out at highway speeds? Will it keep up? I was doing some homework on the GV OD's. They do have a universal model that would be connected like a divorced transfer case. Might help give the old stake body some longer legs and still be completely reversible.

Another option for an overdrive (cheaper than GV) is a Ranger torque splitter http://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/complete-units/91/ True dual stick shifting and it mounts between the transmission and bellhousing. It pairs well with a SM465 transmission (which are cheap and readily available). Some video of a Ranger & SM465 in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/27/12 7:03 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Awesomeawesomeawesome truck. If it's not too much trouble, drop me a note if Jeff passes on the Wartburg. Despite actually having driven it, I'm at least interested in it. But congrats on the truck - I know you'll do it right so painting it is not a crime.

The ball is in Jeff's court right now on da 'burg but I will keep you informed. Really pains me to let her go but I know realistically its 2-3 years before I'll even be able to think about starting on it again and that pains me and stresses me, so at least I can reduce the stress.

Crown will go up shortly after BABE, or maybe before if work keeps going the way it is. I may just have to marshal in my DD. I know you like the oddball japanese wagons too ;)

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/27/12 7:31 p.m.

That is a super cool find, but as soon as I saw it, this kept playing in my head.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C5UZBUpBUjUPmIXymCH4POAzqkmCrkn2R6zc6x57xmntUC0PoMCjc7lXNYLJKSfG